Ultima IX on XP
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
ShaKer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ultima IX on XP

I just dug this game out again, and I can't get it to run on XP Pro. Any one have any ideas? I'm on Abit KT7A Raid, with Radeon 9500 pro, 512 system ram,DX9.0b When I start game it acts like its going to start then nothing happens, I've tried about everything I can think of but no go so far. Any Ideas anyone?
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:27 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Did you patch it?
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:22 am
ShaKer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No need to it is up to date on cd.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:54 am
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Can't say I've ever had a problem running Ascension on XP. And that was a ooooold system:

Pentium 3 500 Mhz
12 GB Hard Drive
384 MB PC133 SDRAM
nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB Graphics Card

Okay, so not soooooo old, but not too great. And it was using some pretty generic motherboard hardware, so don't think there weren't AGP conflicts on that card.

And I was running Windows XP Pro at the time, as well.

Thoughts: full install is your friend. So are no-CD patches. Even if I own a game, I always go with the no-CD patches. Also, watch out with those Radeons — they're awesome cards, but sometimes they have conflicts. Check for conflicts with Ascension (at the ATI Support Page), and see if graphics driver updates have been released. For better Direct3D support, get the update 1.19 patch from http://reconstruction.voyd.net and install it. Check your game configuration too — start with low-to-medium range settings, and then bump them up from there if they work. Stop bumping them up if the game stops working.

WtFD
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:58 pm
ShaKer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for reply's Will try 1.9 patch see if that works, I also think it's something with D3D & Radeon. I was using Voodoo 5500 before on XP & had no problems running it in Glide or D3D. Will let you know what happens!
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:49 pm
ShaKer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1.9 patch did the trick runs great on radeon now, Don't know what patch fixed but it works! Thanks for the help!! Maybe I can finally finish this game. lol
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:02 pm
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What "probably" happened, though I can't back this up, was that Ascension was made as a "Glide-resident" game...it was designed for the now defunct Voodoo cards, and was almost proprietary in that sense. It had nominal D3D support, but only by piping everything through some obscure form of format-translation.

Can't be sure why the Radeon didn't like it, but what the 1.19 path does is add more D3D compatibility to the code, removing the need for the costly format-translation, so it runs better.

:? WtFD
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:37 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

well i you had such problems how come i didnt have them it worked normaly and i didnt have to look for any patchs and i have the original cd.And i have windows xp
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:34 pm