Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is the critical hit in G2 different from the one in G1?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is the critical hit in G2 different from the one in G1?

Hello.

Good news:

I find the exactly formula to calculate how much damage you will do to you opponents with a weapon in G2, it is:

Total damage = (WeaponDamage + Str - Armor)*p + (WeaponDamage + Str - Armor -1)/10 * (1 - p)

Here 'P' is the talent of your 1H or 2H weapon, 0<=p<=1.

So, if we have a 100% talent, the total damage will be:

Total Damage = WeaponDamage + Str - Armor
(Critical Hit Damage)

Well then, it is great and more realistic than in G1, because if you use a weapon with a worng or not suitable style, you should not have the the real damage of your weapon boring into play but have a less damage. But we rember that in G1 you got the 100% chance to make a "WeaponDamage + Str - Armor" damage at the very beginning, even you are a 'not trained' one. In G1, when you got trained, you will have an up to 10% chance to make a REAL 'Critical Hit', which will be:

Critical Hit Damage = WeaponDamage*2 + Str - Armor

This damage, I think, is worthy to be called "Critical Hit Damage", and the total damage with a 100% talent of G2 is not suitable to called as "Critical Hit Damage" but "Direct Hit Damage".

So, can someone who already got the game tell me, can you make a "WeaponDamage*2 + Str - Armor" damage in G2/G2Addon with you weapon?

Thanks.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:45 am
ServanteS
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

there are criticals in G2 as for damage i'll go and calculate it but think that your formula is ok
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:52 am
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Now I will make some further explain to the first formula I post:

Total Damage = (WeaponDamage + Str - Armor)*p + (WeaponDamage + Str - Armor - 1)/10 * (1 - p) -----------(1)

To be frank, with a certain 1H or 2H talent, the total damage you make every time will not always be the same number. If you are at a low talent, the damage often appears will just around:

(WeaponDamage + Str - Armor - 1)/10 ----------(2)

And if you are at a high level of talent, the mostly appear damage will be near to

(WeaponDamage + Str - Armor)*p ------------(3)

Yes, there should still be something hidden in the script of the game. But if we just statistically calculate all the damage you make at all kinds of talent, it will be the result from formula (1) roughly. The first formula is best used to a high level of talent, but when you use it to the situation of a low talent, well, it will not be very suitable. But the result is quite near to the ‘critical hit’ you can make at a certain 1H or 2h talent.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:22 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I got it.

When you calculate all the damage you make at all kinds of talent, you cannot avoid adding the critical(direct) hits damage in your calculation, so the result from formula (1) is EXACTLY the average damage per hit you can make.

formula (1) = NormalHitDamage*(1-p) + DirectHitDamage*p

Now we understand why the result is neither not very near to our normal hit damage nor the critical damage, except for the high talent situation.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:44 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hi guys.

I have managed to do someting to help us understand the game better, aithough I still do not get the game.

But, what about my original question? Could you make a REAL critical hit which will do more damage than "WeaponDamage + Str - Armor" with your weapon in G2/G2Addon? And what will be the situation when you use a bow/crossbow with 100% talent?

Please post
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:48 am
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If there are still no reply within 2 day, I will disappointmented.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:09 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maybe the problem is, while this topic is pretty intersting, you somehow explained it in such a complicated way that nobody can follow you or wants to follow you.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Afaik

Melee damage = (WeaponDamage - EnemyArmour) + (0 OR Strength).

'0' is default, Strength is added in case of a critical hit, which has a probability of 'Weaponskill'.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:47 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thank you very much, Gorath.

Yes, maybe there is some unsuited style within my posts, well, I am sorry if I have made too much posts which are difficult to read. I will manage to change my style in future.

Anyway, it is only a few days since I joined here, so I hope everyone could just "allow" me to do something unsuited and tell me it, then I can learn from it and make my further posts better.

And I thanks ServanteS.

[/img]
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:40 pm