Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Error when coming back to Newland from Vally of the Mines!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Diskboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Error when coming back to Newland from Vally of the Mines!!

Hi, first of all I just want to say that Gothic 2 rules. At first I thought it was a bit poo compared to Gothic 1 (my favourite game ever made), but I was wrong, Gothic 2 rules!!

Anyway, the problem, I have finished with the mines area (where old city used to be, the castle etc etc), and I'm off back to the new city to report to Hagen about the proof.

Only thing is, whenever I'm entering a way to get back, it goes to the 'loading' screen yet before it has finished loading , when exiting valley of the mines, it crashes. It loads to about 90% - to the letter N, then craches back to the desktop!!

I've tried rebooting the pc, shuting down, uninstalling, everything! This is making me want to cry, I'm sooo hooked on the game and can't wait any longer to find out whats wrong.

I don't know what it could be. My system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
512mb DDR ram
Radeon 9000 pro 128MB ddr
80gb HD

I run the game @ 1024x768/32 with NO glitches!!

Please help someone.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:50 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

did u try both places where u can enter the new world ?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
one place is right there were orcs are and another leads out from a cave.
if u tryed both of them then try some earlyer made save game what is still in new world and try to enter the old world and after that again new world if that works then ur last save was probably with some error
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:48 pm
Diskboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yup, I've tried both ways of getting back, and I've tried loading like 6 to 7 different save games!!
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:19 pm
Diskboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello? Is there no one else who can help me or offer advice?

It's HELL to get to a certain point in a game, be obsessed with it all day from the second you wake until you sleep, then not beable to play it anymore.

Please, anyone?
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:59 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is not much we can do on a fan site.
You should open a thread on the official board. The problem you describe also happened in the German version. Then it was the intended reaction if the game thought you´re not using an original. So it´s possible you have a copy protection problem.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:26 pm
Diskboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've never had any copy protection errors with the game, it's an original bought from amazon.com - although if I don't get this fixed it won't be for much longer as I'm going to get a refund
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:28 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

If it happens in several save games all from varying points in the game, then maybe it is something in your inventory. This is just a wild guess, but I am trying to think of things, bugged or not, that may permanently effect the state of the game and your inventory is one of them. Perhaps some combination of the things you have doesn't jive right with the OldWorld to NewWorld transfer sequence.

One test you might do to confirm this is to load a game from the mine valley, go all the way up to where you are about to exit, and just strip yourself clean. Carry nothing at all. Then walk through and see if it loads.
(In case you didn't know, you can drop items by selecting them in your inventory and hitting the ALT key).

The next test if this one doesn't work is to do the exact same thing, but from a save in the newworld. Strip just as you are about to exit the new world, enter the old world, then try to enter the new world again.

If you still get the crash then it is not the inventory, sorry. If it is OK though,then you have to start using trial and error to see what item in your backpack is causing the problem ...

It could also be the case that something about the newworld is messed up and whenever you enter it, causes the crash. I'm not sure how this would be fixed without starting over from a point *before* you entered the mine valley (except, of course, patching up your savegame which requires inside knowledge only PB has at this point).

Sorry about your problems though, I know what its like to hit game stopping bugs when your'e having fun. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and start over (if you like the game enough). But please try out my suggestion before giving up.

EDIT:

Another thing to consider, and I'm not implying at all that you DID do this, is whether or not you used Marvin mode (i.e. cheated) at any point in the game and saved after it. Even though the cheat may have seemed to have work at the time, you never know what long term effects it may have on the game state . Again, I'm not saying you used Marvin at all, just saying that it may introduce subtle errors in save games.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:57 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe marvin is indeed bad one of my friends had pretty many errors after he used it
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:30 pm
Diskboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nope never used marvin, if I did, then the same thing would happen as happened in Gothic 2 - I'd keep using it and spoil the game!!

It turns out multiple files got corrupt, and I had to start again from the begining. Thanks for all your help, especialy a user called "Athas" who PM'd me help and what to do!!
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:54 am
m()V1n5H@3()w
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The inventory doesnt have to do with it(although i thought this was the problem at first),i`ve checked it!!!(passed almost naked through pass and crashed again)...The only solution is to load a previous save game and play again...Then it wont crash again...So save often and in different save slots to enjoy this miracle called gothic!!!
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:00 pm
Diplo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The problem DiskBoy is having is exactly the same one I have encountered. I'm playing as a Paladin and have just finished killing the dragons in the OldWorld (Chp4?) and everytime I attempt to go back to Khorinis via the Valley Of Mines Pass the game freezes up on the loading screen. Like DiskBoy says, it gets 90% of the way through loading the area and then just freezes (Windows reports that Gothic.exe is 'not responding').

I have tried everything I can to fix this :

• Tried reloading old save games, but any that were saved in this chapter all exhibit the same problem. However, if I load a really old save when I first came through the Pass I can get back fine.

• Tried going back via both enterance to pass.

• Tried running in Window mode, tried disabling sound, music, cut-scenes and turning all eye-candy off.

• Tried using marvin mode to teleport to a different waypoint (but you can't teleport outside the 'world' you are in)

• Tried using the 'story helper' to complete all quests in chapter, in case it was a problem with one of these.

None of these worked, so I'm in the incredibly frustrating position of having to go back to a really, really old save game and loose dozens of hours of play I really don't know if I can re-do all that so I might just have to give up, which will be terrible as I love Gothic 2 to bits!

System Specs :

Windows XP Pro
Athlon 1.1Ghz
384MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce ti4400 (latest drivers)
No probs with DxDiag

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:28 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

u probably found another bug again just take an old save game again :\
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:55 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can puzzle files from another save in the same chapter into your current savegame. Maybe you can replace the corrupted file.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:55 pm
Diplo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in the end I just found an old save game before Chapter 4 and have now finally completed it (again!) and this time I can leave the Valley! Thank Innos for that!!
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:45 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

congrats but i still think many ppl will see that bug again :\ it would be cool if this would be fixed in the patch
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:58 pm