Usergroups
Divine Divinity universe?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I just wanted to know how well the Divine Divinity universe is laid out. Is there a lot of background story - and can we expect Patrick to write a novel in the DiDi (not to mix up with D&D *g*) universe?

Personally, i like games where a world has been defined above what is necessary to follow the game's story.

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:10 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Games with a well defined Universe are definately cool. Makes an easy connection for the player into the world they are playing. Makes me feel more like a part of it. Like in Baldur's Gate when you hook up with Drizzt and kill him to take his sword an armor <: You kind of feel bad for having slain the guy who was hero in so many books you read. You get over it, but at least there was an emotional attachment there <:

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:29 pm
lar
Divine Assassin
Divine Assassin

I wouldn't worry too much about that - there are two writers busy on writing background stories, Patrick made an entire history, throughout the game you'll find references to the past and other lands etc...

Lar
Post Fri Aug 03, 2001 4:14 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

That is good to hear. An in depth universe where even the small details were thought about creates a more immersive environment. I am sure it takes a lot of extra work, but the end results are worth it!

Post Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:11 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hehe, just found this one in a deep and dark corner of my hard drive. Was originally posted by Lar in the early days of the Divinity forum:

It all started when we were on the train coming back from ECTS ’99. Everybody in the team was busy for a month like ‘what will it be now?’, ‘do you already know it?’, etc… The initial artwork was like ‘hey guys, we need a forest !’ and it started to work on their nerves that I took my time to write the story. The final version is finished since a couple of weeks, but that day on the train, I gave them ‘the grand concept’. They seemed to like it.

Post Sat Aug 11, 2001 9:11 pm
Lynn
Divine Imp
Divine Imp

Oh yeah, still remember this one !

Post Sun Aug 12, 2001 3:17 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hello, everyone.

I recently wondered about that point, too, but still got no answer in the Larian Board.

There are only a few glimpses into the Past of Rivellon:

- The Seven Gods
- The Teleporters
- the round things, which can be used in conjunction with weapons and armor to enhance them.

These are things no-one knows where they came from, and are coming from an unknown culture.

There is one point, too, although seldom noticed: There are no "real" hills and mointains in Rivellon - everything is flattened at the top.

It seems to me that this might be the work of dwarves in an unknown age - and it must've been heavy work !

I thing these must've been dwarves, because no other race in Rivellon is so designated in working "with Stone and Earth".

Personally - and apart from this - I'd like to see a kind of Mythology about the Gods and everything else in Rivellon. I'd like to see where all these things come from, and how the Seven Races settled down there.

Actually, I don't know if there ever has been a tratment about that.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:15 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well.... maybe the sequel can be a prequel, explaining all this

BTW, the 'round things' are called charms.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:10 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes, maybe.

I had the idea of a sequel explaining why the Seven Gods were gone: They might have been imprisoned by the Chaos Lord - and the Char needs to set them free (sounds a little bit like "Stonekeep", doesn't it ? ).

After that time, the Seven Gods might rule this world once again - which could be a good "Happy End". Also, there might be an Eighth God..
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:52 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well without giving too much away. From the current ending I would say that there is another path they want to go first.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:04 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh, sorry, I haven't played it to the End so far.
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:21 pm