Stoooopid Dungeon Seige
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Stoooopid Dungeon Seige

So I got a virus that prevented me from getting into Windows.

So, naturally I wiped my smaller hard drive... The 'C' drive . Which I didn't mind too much, because nearly everything that was on it was salvagable through downloading, etc.

So, I go to re-install Dungeon Seige (so that it registers itself in the erm.. registry), thinking I'll be able to pick up where I left off, because it was... after all... in my D drive.

BUT NO!!!! As it turns out, Microsoft says 'Screw you , buddy! Thanks for the fifty bucks!' by having Dungeon Seige's save games go to the 'My Documents' folder (which happens to be in the 'C' drive). So that's it. 30 hours of eye-candy gaming gone. Now I'm thinking I should uninstall it for good. While it was fun going through killing monsters with the click of a button, it gets old after an hour or so... But thinking back... the first five hours or so were the most fun. Maybe I'll start over... ehhhh I'll pick up Morrowind and see if that strays me...
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:59 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

D'oh! Sorry to hear that. You can change the directory it stuffs your savegames, however they don't tell you that in the manual or anything...

-vaticide
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:36 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

that stinks. maxpayne does the same thing. i decided to reformat my c drive before i installed xp, fortunately i copied mydocuments folder to a zip disk first. phew! it saved my bacon. but, i guess with a computer total shut down situation you are SOL.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:55 pm
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Heh, that's another thing!!!

I periodically make copies of all my save games/pictures/work onto a CD, but Windows XP for some reason recognizes all the disks I made as blank!

I'm sure I tested each one I made after I made it, so I'm going to see if they work on a friends computer who's still running '98. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of my stuff back..
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:20 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I have never heard of that before. I have been recording cd's for...hmmm...seven years or so starting with WIN95. I have always been able to read the cd's on any MS OS including XP. I don't see how that could be OS related. Well hopefully for your sake it is a driver issue. I guess that could be a great possibility. I had an old CD-ROM years ago that could not read CD-RW. Maybe something similar to that. Check you CD-ROM/R/RW/DVD vendor and see if they have special drivers for XP compatibility issues.
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:39 pm
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's gotta be OS related one way or another.

The files were recorded using Adaptec Direct CD, which would lock up my computer about 75% of the time... So I'm sure that had at least a little something to do with it.

As far as compatablility goes... It's simply said that the Windows XP drivers are good enough to run the drives, so they don't worry with it.
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:22 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I hope this "save games in the My Documents folder" thing is not going to be the new standard with games in the future. I have 2 games that do that and it bugs the living shiite out of me, My Documents is used for all my downloads and crap, not some stupid save game folders. Friggen idiots, dont fix what isnt broke

woohoo 150 posts. Lets see here, 350 more... Good Lord of the Squirrels... Maybe I can just make 20 new topics a day! 17.5 days til Id have it then.. this is ridiculous !!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:13 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Wow.... You are the king of spammers! I take that back, I've seen much worse..

At the rate I'm going I'd have 500 posts in 2 and a half years!
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:30 pm