Dwarven Mines, The Beast and a mechanical press
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Crusader
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven Mines, The Beast and a mechanical press

After using the RPGDot walkthrough for help I've finally got into the dwarven mines in Arx (many thanks for the w/through, the game desperately needed it). After about 2hrs of trying I got across the lavapit jumping section (my vote for worst thought out part of an RPG game to date. Why give people lots of useful spells then stop them using them?), I've put the power cell into the generator and have climbed the ladder onto the mesh walkway. I have the 2 dwarven meat rib items ready to throw under the mechanical press thing, but I've hit a number of problems:

1) the lever to activate the press takes an age between pulling it and the press slamming down. I guess I just have to account for that?

2) the meat has to be in a very exact spot or the press will slam down and miss the beast (so far I've seen the press go through two of its legs and its tail, as well as just miss it's head).

3) and this is the biggest problem I'm having; frequently what seems to happen is the beast notices the meat, walks over.. and then reappears on the mesh over the lavapit in that room, magically. Or sometimes it growls and swipes a paw into the air, and the meat disappears. And it doesn't seem to pay any attention to the second lot of meat if I throw it seperately.. should I throw both at once?

After 15 mins of trying to slam the f'ing thing in the press I gave up and tried racing it up the tunnel to the office area. I managed it, pulled the lever, dodged the beast as it came into the room, got all the way back over the lavapit mesh and pulled the lever in the press room.. and died as the beast had appeared next to me. Is it possible to kill the beast without using the press on it first? ie run like hell up the passage to the office and pull the lever and get back to press room to lavadunk it without dieing?

Anyone got any hints on how to get through this bit? what with the lavajumping and this I'm getting ready to zip up my saves and delete the game for good.
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:50 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Hello

1) that's true.. and beware that the power or the power stones is limited..

2) correct

3) this sounds strange..

I think that the only way to beat the beast is the way the game designers intended (programmed) and which is described in the walkthrough. Your failed attempt to skip the press thing and go straight to the lava death (and my previous experience with the game) sort of indicates that things are really hardcoded, there is no other way and if you find it - you fail or trigger a bug (this makes me appreciate the freedom in the Thief games).

Now, you are already following the walkthrough, so it is difficult to give you any new hint, except improve your meat aiming and throwing, and your timing in activating the press.

Sorry, it's not much of a help.. Just gather some patience. I think the game is worth it and you are near the end.

Good luck
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:08 am
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

I just did the dwarven mine yesterday. It also took me a lot of misses to kill the beast with the press. One hint on the jumping section. I think the only problem is that you tried the wrong key movement for long jumps. In Arx you make a long jump by pressing the forward button first and immediately pressing the jump button afterwards. The first times I also tried the run and jump from the edge approach which you are used from other games. Just stand at the edge from the last platform and do a long jump. Then its very easy to jump to the other side. Don't walk before you jump.

Kay
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:43 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Mines and beast

I think this part of the game is for those who enjoy keyboard controls. Sort of a physical challenge for us in real life. Pain in the -- if you ask me. As for the work at hand. I tried to throw the meat, pull the lever and then throw the second piece of meat. It worked a few times. Also if you have the meat in your hand, hit the lever and then go to edge and throw, it works out with the delay in the crusher. You do have to hit the right spot. I found one spot on the platform that was best place and worked out with the delay action. Go to the wall on the left. Toss it from there. Every time I played I would crush him, do the stuff needed, and on way back there he is again, or it is another one, jump over the open lave pit and watch him fall in. It can be done, but you need to practice to get the timing down. Ii is a pain, but worth it, and it is the only part of the game that does this to you. You are so close. Keep trying and I'm sure you will get it. Take a good look at the map so you don't get turned around after you crush him. Stick to walkthrough and you will be able to save Arx.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:03 pm
Adam
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I didn't crush him first, just lured him to the lava.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Beast

I don't think you have to crush him, if you are fast enough to get the lava pit open and have him fall in. The crusher gives you a little time to get your bearings and do what you want to do before he starts after you again. I was never quick enough to get rid of him without knocking him out for a minute or two first.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:15 pm
Crusader
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks for the responses everyone! After a 5 day break away from Arx that I enforced due to not wanting to throw my monitor out of the window in frustration, I got through the mines. The weirdness with the hound disappearing onto the mesh over the lava I found was connected to the first pull of the lever, as soon as I'd pull it he'd teleport to the lavapit and land on the mesh (not the walkway). Also after that he'd stand in one place doing nothing but looking mean, until I jumped and then he'd jump and swipe the air. Most peculiar. Anyway I saved after pulling the lever once and upon reloading (several times to get the meat throwing aim correct) I managed to slam him finally. After that its been nicely simple and not reliant on pixel perfect timing and accuracy thank heavens

Just got the ylside bunker to go now..
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:33 am