RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Do you store spells or cast "freehand"?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Kris
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Do you store spells or cast "freehand"?

Hi all,

Just wondering how everybody else approaches their attacking spells. Being a cautious type (and not that brilliantly co-ordinated in a hurry) I always travel with 3 spells stored at the ready. But do any of you just cast "to order" as you go along?

Usually in a fight my 3 stored spells are enough. I've wiped out 12 - 15 Ylsides and a few liches using 2 or 3 spells at close range each time. But when I got to the crypt where old King Poxy's tomb (and helmet) is I came up against two liches who were a LOT tougher than the four or five I'd killed before (I wonder why? Did they have more Hit Points maybe, or was I nobbled by something??).

Anyway, I really struggled to get those - even though I managed to only have to fight them one at a time.

I had to preload my 3 spells, then load a 4th and totter up to the lich (with my finger still on the ctrl button). Then let go and bang, bang, bang, bang - 4 in row. This still didn't kill them.

For the first one I was able to quickly load a fifth spell from a scroll and then a couple of quick hacks did the job. But the second one I had to resort to a fair bit of hacking, plus quickly casting another fireball mid fight. Fortunately, for once, I managed to get all the rune shapes right.

I'm not sure that I have the casting talent (or the nerve or memory skills) to fight without storing spells, but it would certainly make for tense and edgy fights! Anybody play that way??
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:19 am
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I try to cast them on the fly in battle, but it is difficult to turn then....

one time I memorized a spell from level 10 but then i could not cast it even with full mana, do i just lose that spell slot for that?

how do you forget a spell?
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:26 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

forgetting a spell...reaching level 10

Just load another spell and it will eventually be gone...if you're not at level 10...it seems that you cannot use these spells yet...But I'm at level 9 now with over 60,000 experience needed to make level 10...that seems impossible to me...I've done the side Quests for the bonus XP's and even killed everything but Greu in levels 2...3...5...and gone back to the crypt and caverns to kill respawned undead Lich's, rats, and spiders...still need to do the bank job...and forge the weapon now...got all my materials ready and the dragon egg for the ultimate weapon...so where are the XP I need to reach level 10 going to come from...??? Has anyone reached level 10?

THE TAROT
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:26 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

casting on the fly

Sorry... forgot the initial question...yes I feel confident enough now to cast on the fly...but fireball's easy to cast and so is health...some of the other runes are still a little tricky ...and in the height of battle especially with Lichs who are the most terrifying of the bad guys...I can fumble a bit...now that I've acquired the magical sword of Inut though it's even easy to hack them to pieces with about 7 to 10 slices so I'm willing to take more chances and prowl around in the crypts with nothing pre-loaded...earlier in the game I dared not go anywhere without fireball and harm or mana drain loaded and ready...3 hotslots and 1 in hand...then scrolls lined up in inventory for easy access...but ...even then there were numerous death scenes for me...

THE TAROT
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:36 am
bilbump
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i sort of use a combination of both...i don't like the fact that it's hard to aim a spell when you cast it freehand (can't use mouselook)...by the time i get done drawing the runes, the target has usually moved. so every time i cast a spell, i memorize the spell i want in the first slot, then aim at the victim and fire it...

about casting high-level spells: you don't have to be level 10 to cast a level 10 spell...all you need are the required runes and enough mana...even your casting skill doesn't matter.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:22 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

more mana

My mana level is around 150 now but that's not enough for the mass incinerate or control a demon listed on pg 10 of spellbook...how do I raise mana...? I thought because these are listed in the game guide book as level 10 that as a level 9 character they still were not available to me...it's only mana requirements that control the casting of any spell...? (If you have the runes of course...)Control demon requires 40 mana according to guidebook and I cannot make it work...I notice that mass incinerate requires 200 for the duration so at 150 I am mana short...what's the story...?Thanks...

THE TAROT
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:14 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Wha t do you mean you can't use mouselook when casting a fireball manually? You can just fine... close the inventory (if it's open...) with the left mouse button (I think )...
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:03 pm