Secret area
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Secret area

Two levels down from Arx, - (where the troll king was) There is a stone bridge leading left, which takes you to the spider cave, etc. And on the right is a wwoden bridge with a stair leading down to another area.
Down there, you come across some real interesting things. Besides the barrier, which when you drop it with a spell, you get attacked by a real nasty warrior of some sort, There are a number of wooden plank/stair like structures around the caverns.
They are mainly there to get you up to a tunnel with a web in front of it that would normally be inaccessible any other way. You nedd to have a levitate spell for this to work, however.
You have to first jump up on a small stone ledge, then jump again to a higher one. - You'll know the one I'm talking about, it's the only one you can jump on. Then, with aseries of well-executed jumps, you have jump up and around the cavern wall o the right. when you get about half-way up the wooden planks there (you won't be able to go any higher at a point, anyway, as the planks drop off into a ravine) About half way up, you pop a levitate spell. You have to get the level exactly right with the entrace to the web-covered entrance further up. Fly over to it, drop down, and go thru the unnel. You get to a room, with a voice of one of the snake-sisters booming in the air. There are 3 chests there, one locked. But, how do you get thru that barrier to the area beyond? It's not a barrier of the regular type. Any advice? -- SJ
Post Wed May 26, 2004 3:06 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I think you are talking about the Sisters treasure room. You get a map to find it on the Twins at some point. If you are talking about the first barrier to the room, just go through it. Not enough damage to you to worry about. If you are talking about the door barrier to the Sisters Domain, you will have to get the main quests done that will eventually lead you to the Sisters. Just take what you can now and return at a few levels higher and see if you can pick the locks then. There is no way to drop the barrier for this door. And if you did they would kill you at this point. Hope this helps answer the question.
Mark Twain
Post Wed May 26, 2004 4:12 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yep, that sounds like it alright. I just happenned upon this area very early in the game. I wen tthrough the first barrier- really a trap, though. You gotta be careful going thru those chests, they killed me already once just for doing it. It's called grab and run. Man, that area beyond the other door/barrier looks really cool. It bites you can't get there now.
Also, on that same level (not there in the sister's treasure room, though) just around in the cavern, you come across a normal light barrier, that when you drop it, in the room beyond is a real nasty dude who yells 'intruder' and he's quick and deadly. He looks like he's got some good stuff on him- any ideas on how to kill this guy? I was thinking on popping an invisibility potion sneak up behind him -WHACK! pop another one- wash, rinse, repeat- until he's dead.
--Scrib Jelly
Post Wed May 26, 2004 3:40 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Just as a warning, that is about the last place you want to visit in the game. Until you have done all quests and are at the last quest to finish the game, those guys in there are almost invulnurable. And the ones behind him are worse. That guy is called an Ylside. Head back and start the quests, and don't kill any NPC's unless they just outright attack you first or you will stuff up the game. Even the bad guys play a roll in some of your quests at first. If it gets to hard to figure out who or what you can get the PDF file and refer to the walkthrough if you like. It is great and has all the level maps in it as well. Up to you of course. Have fun.
Mark Twain
Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:45 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm. Is Arx like Morrowind in the sense that if you kill someone or do something to screw up the main quest it tells you " Go back and re-load an earlier saved game, or choose to live in the doomed world you created" --- or does it let you plod along without warning? - just wondering.

I'm on the temple quest now, and that guard there in that heavy armor- man, would I love that armor he's got ! I tried like every trick in the book to kill him, even threw an incinerate and ran out the door and closed it behind me- he opened it right up and whacked me! Ah, but yes, I heed good advice. Don't kill anything unless it attacks you, it may be important to the main quest. Lot less stressful that way, too.
- Even though a lot of us here are experienced gamers, I still wish to share my little strategy tip:
>>>Don't take on multiple enemies if possible. watch their patterns, see if you can get individuals one at a time. Like the priests in the temple quest. I patiently watched their movement patterns, waited until only one was in any given place. Stick your head in, retreat around a corner with your weapon charged and an incinerate spell ready. Throw incinerate at him, whack him once or twice, he'll run away yelling "intruder, brothers help me!"
as he's running away, incinerate goes off- poof! - bite the concrete. It's almost funny. I took care of the whole temple that way-- don't give those guys a chance to cast spells, though!

---SJ
Post Thu May 27, 2004 6:18 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

No, it is bad in that it doesn't let you know, and the needed NPC's for the quests can be killed as well. That is my one major complaint about this game. The lack of ingame directions. The PDF walkthrough is great and works more like a journal should have. If you don't want to know where everything is you just avoid the map details list. The walkthrough is simple and leaves a lot of details out for you to discover on your own. But you won't stuff the game either. You have to decide for yourself, but now you know. Have fun and save often so if you do get in trouble you can fix without wasting a lot of time. Just my opinion of course.
Mark Twain
Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:14 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I stumbled into the Sisters' treasure room quite early in the game myself, and subsequently die when they all rushed me when I tried to say hi. I had no idea where I even was at the time, and dont remember if I opened the door or one of them did. Regardless, i was dead real quick. I looted the boxes tho upon reload, and got back out of there. Yes, and you can dispel the field below in the tunnels and die by the hand of a couple Ylsides. Then, you can also go try and visit the room with the stone in it and be killed there. Pissed me off big time, really need to look around corners, and get the heck out of there if it is a Ylside or a Sister that early in the game. Got killed several times stumbling into enemies like that, sorta demoralizing.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:20 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Picking off people one by one is an awesome way to kill.. especially if you're stealth or an archer.. I reckon one of the best combos is an archer/mage in this game.. in a lot of the fights you get into, you have enough space to use a bow (except for that lich in the temple of akbaa..), plus u don't spend much on repairs.. just keep buying arrows. If you take really long range shots, you can kill off people, goblins, trolls and often even snake women and ratmen with just 2 strikes. close range combat you'd use a combination of arrows and magic.

Also, often it's more fun to blast 3 or 4 at a time with a single fireball than pick them off one by one.. just attack one and they all come at you, and then you just use a fireball once they're all infront of you
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:32 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

actually, make that one strike if you're far enough..
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:14 am
lancaster6
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

treasure room

u can disable trap if ur magic level is high enough. then u can click the switch on the wall, use an invisibility potion, or ring, and quickly go to the room on ur right, activate that portal, and then uve opened lvl 6. but dont let them see u. usually when i use this tactic, 1 of the snake women follows me around on this level 4 the rest of the game. its kind of funny
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:37 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Maybe it's because there are no snake men around. 'Hey baby, lt's go build a nest together'

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:32 pm
lancaster6
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yikes

yikes, altho they r strangely attractive.....did i say that out loud?...
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Just goes to show you-
pretty face, nice pups, who cares if the rest of ya looks like a snake?
We'll just forget all about those parts.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:40 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

except for zalnash.. eeek!!

when i first started playing arx, for the first hour or so, i avoided the library caz that snake woman is really scary.. especially when she starts saying weird things when i'm reading a book with my back to her.. i'm not scared of real snakes lolz, but that woman used to scare the hell outta me

I'm happy i don't REALLY have to live in arx.. on top of the snake women, i'm arachnophobic AND claustrophobic lolz.. I had them both under control enough that i didn't mind tight spaces AND could touch spiders till i started playing arx lolz, bloody giant spiders.. reminds me of when i got attacked by that black and red thing when i was 7.. it was the size of my head back then
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:39 am