More visuals to our characters
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

More visuals to our characters

I have an idea that i can not see in any RPG game that i played so far.
In every RPG game, there are stats like Strength, Agility or such. To play the game further our character's properties increased, but we can only see the changes in stats table. There are no changes in our hero's appearance.
But, think of a RPG that the changing of these stats affect the visual of our character. For example, increasing his strength also fortify the muscle system of our character. Agility affects his muscle system. For ex, a character with high agility but low strength makes him athletic, musclar but thin, like an elf body. While, high strength and low agility makes him more bulk, swollen biceps, enormous deltoids and trapezus but also fat belly, like a dwarf's body. Constitution have effects in our skeletal system and skin. For ex, with high constitution our hero's skin looks more tough; tall and wide body. According to this system character with high strenth, agility and constitution looks like Conan.
Like these, intelligence affect his (can be her) features and motions. High intelligence makes a smarter look in his face, while low int makes more dumb features. High charisma makes him (her) more handsome (beautiful) while low chr ugly face. Also, alignment. Good characters can have glances like an angel, while evil ones have devilish eyes.
It can be hard to apply to this to a game, but at least a basic one of such system enhances the atmosphere of RPGs. I think, it is not so hard according to today's monster systems. It looks a bit weird that in such great games like Gothic 2, that a character with str 10 and another with 130 have same muscle visuals.
If you have interesting ideas like these, please write to me. We can discuss them together. Who knows, maybe, our interesting ideas can have impact on developers. (Note: Excuse me for my grammer)
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:18 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Apparently this is precisely what a game called Fable is going to do. They even go so far as to have a system where your character will tan if he/she adventures in the sunlight often.

And to a lesser extent ...

Star Wars: KoTOR has an effect where if you follow the dark side you gradually become more evil looking over time as the dark side corrupts your very soul.
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:17 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like that idea, as long as the devs dont spend so muckh time developing this feature that the game itself gets compromised.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:43 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

What BBB/Lionhead does is great, but remember, there are trade-offs: "...the enormous complexity of the character's physical development has forced Big Blue Box to limit the sex of the main character to a male." ... and there are graphics & NPCs A.I problems in latest demo (probably due to limited memory & hardware capablities of Xbox). The developer may fix up the problems in final version...
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:36 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I certainly hope they fix the issues before relase ...

However, knowing developers today they'll release it buggy as hell on a console unable to patch the executable. Go video game makers of the world, you guys are so smart!
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:41 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fable looks promising, if they can apply all things that they said in interviews. But, our previous experience shows sometimes devs exaggerating too much; these sayings increase the gamer's expectations, and then just frustration.
Xbox has memory and harddisk limits; but PC not. Xbox has only 64 Mb while today's standart PC have 256 Mb. Implementing of such a development system may become diffucult; but who says making a RPG is easy.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:00 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I wished new CRPGs had some of the features of DOA:XBV. Like using tanning lotion and sunblocker, different hairdos on the same character and 300 different outfits... that'd be enough for me, at least for starters . But seriously, it's one of the reasons which made me like upcoming Söldner: Secret Wars the minute I saw it. Fourty different outfit types to choose from make a nice start.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:08 pm