Usergroups
If you have to choose between battle system and story&#8
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Story takes it for me over combat. If the story is genuinely interactive and interesting, then I don't mind reading tons of text and easing through battle (or cheating if its uber-hard). But give me a combat game with great battle and fluff story, the battles had better be awesome and non-repetetive. I solve the battles to get that next gem of the story. Of course, I'm another Planescape-Torment lover. Go figure...

-Dwango
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:28 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I have to vote for the story, although I admit I wouldn't think Gothic was so good if it wasn't for it's combat system.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by aj142
BTW, why is it that so many RPGs take place in medieval times?

Because it's easier to be called a hero after killing millions of bad guys in medieval times than it is in modern times?
Just a guess.

*Raises hand.*
Another PS:T lover here.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:47 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

So many people love PS:T and BlackIsle didn't make enough money on it to make another part.

Btw. I'm looking for a site with a lot of screenshots from PS:T, I mean screenshots from the movies in the game.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:07 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

For me, I think the result of the experience is the most important, and this can be influenced by either combat or story, or preferentially both. If I enjoy the game at the end, and it's story fit it well, that was a good game. If I liked the combat, and the story was passable (i.e., not insultingly simple, stupid, cliched, or what not), usually I consider that a good game too. The best games, the ones I remember, are the ones that had both good story and combat. Fallout and Fallout 2 are still number 1 and 2 in my mind for the balance of atmosphere, story, combat, and gameplay. I still need to finish PS:T and Gothic, but those also count high on my list. Also, one of the reasons why I love Fallout and Fallout 2 so much is the varied gameplay, which didn't always rely on combat or violence to solve a problem. (Though you could--a minigun gets you out of many trying situations.) It was as much fun, if not the most fun, to talk my way out of tricky situations with my PC or to explore dialogue choices and consequences.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2