Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Catastrophe! IMPORTANT NEWS - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i stand corrected... but doesnt having MS within US borders [b]subjugate[/b] Microsoft to the laws of the United States govt?
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:46 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

@Ammon777:

I wish it had been true, but they weren't even able to force microsoft to remove explorer from windows. Looking back at last 5 years they practically haven't done anything serious against M$. Truely things like Palladium or hollywood's paranoic CBDTPA are a little more than removing explorer, but I'm looking a little anxious into the future. I wonder, what will Europe do, if this things actually happen in America.

one remark about explorer:
How were they able to release xbox ? They stripped not only explorer, but all gui and multithreading from nt kernel (and many, many more things).
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:52 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Do you really think the US government is gonna sit back and let Microsoft take over? I dont think so. America's govt has alot more power and money than dickhead Bill Gates, and will protect its citizens interests.

Do you know that the German government, about computerizing his pubblic administration, said that it would be done a pubblic offer where only open-source programs could join to test them and choose them? Do you want the official explanation they gave? Because they didn't trust that the Microsoft wasn't been forced to modifie his operating system by CIA or/and FBI to watch the computer info and send to them... just a little paranoic but...
but...

@soltys:
quote:
Originally posted by soltys
one remark about explorer:
How were they able to release xbox ? They stripped not only explorer, but all gui and multithreading from nt kernel (and many, many more things).

How? how?!?!?! Because it's a very simple operation, but they didn't want to do it!!!!!
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:56 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Yog Sothoth
Because they didn't trust that the Microsoft wasn't been forced to modifie his operating system by CIA or/and FBI to watch the computer info and send to them... just a little paranoic but...
but...

I'd be surprised if the FBI and CIA didn't go through every line of code looking for hidden things from Microsoft before useing their software.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:11 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by soltys
Where did you get that? First of all the GUI and explorer are not part of the kernel. You can run Windows NT, without a GUI and thus also without explorer. You can do that on any Windows NT based system.
I very much doubt that they stripped multithreading from the kernel as it would basically make developing any serious game impossible.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:01 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

@Myrthos
Yes, I know gui is not part of os. I wrote my reply too fast. I was thinking more about windows in general than only about bare kernel. About multithreading - you're right, I should have rechecked x-box stuff before reply (or thought a little more). Multiprocessing is removed (see link below). After all it's console. Thanks for straighting that out.

So what is and is not stripped ? Here's interesting, leaked article with general overview about xbox programming:
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/articles.php?aid=2002173054937

@Yog Sogoth
I know it's simple operation. I was sarcastic
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:01 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

bill gates is trying to take over the world...

pretty soon hes gonna have an army of walking talking thinking and killing personal computers! and they're going to march against the armies of the world, in a collosal world war 3!!!

*bill gates to his legion of computer warriors.*

"GO MY MINIONS!!! THIS PLANET IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING! USE YOUR SUPER FAST INTERNET CONNECTIONS TO INVADE THE WHITE HOUSE!!"

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:17 am
Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Note on Microsoft Being everywhere -

In computer class we (for the past 6 years) have been learning to use ONLY microsoft products. AHHhhhhhhhhahahahahah

We (me, myself, and I) are the the Knights who say "Nee"!
=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:36 pm
Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm sorry to bring this up again.

I'm sorry to tell you folks that things have worsened a lot since we last met.

I wonder if anyone there knows about words like "LaGrande", "Prescott", "Hammer" and, above alla else Theachery...
Palladium is coming, wathever I, or we, may think of it, and ALL of the hardware producers are aligned with this: Creative with the "protection" in his digital-out, AMD with his forthcoming Hammer-Palladium-Inside, and, last but not least Intel with his Pentium-LaGrande...

...the future is there... ...do you like it??

anyway it does'nt really matters...
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=92727#92727
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:22 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Hmm.. Some time ago MS proclaimed that it's now possible to uninstall parts of Windows that you don't want so they wouldn't be accused of the monopoly-issue-thingie..
So now if you go in to the control panel you can choose to uninstall the following:
MSN Messenger
Microsoft Outlook Express
Windows MediaPlayer

So i "uninstalled" some programs. and after every uninstall of course it said "its now removed sucessfully" every time.
But I tried uninstalling Messenger. Result: when i open outlook express messenger also starts.
I tried uninstalling outlook express. Result: when i click a "mail webmaster" link outlook express pops up.
I tried uninstalling Mediaplayer. Result: when i double-click a video-clip.. WHAT HAPPENS.. OHH YEEESSSS.. windows "#%"% media-player pops up playing the clip!
I RREAAALLYY love bill g!

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:46 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I dont think this is about domination, this is about piracy. Maybe eventually domination will result from implementation of it, but it was originally conceived to combat piracy. Im reading these articles and thinking "much speculation, much paranoia". I think people are worried, and frankly so am I. But who knows how much of it is pure hogwash, speculation, and "doom and gloom" B.S.

All's I have to say is "Thank you software/music pirates"
All those people who boast about and defend pirating software and music are the reason all this has happened in the first place. You want to know what the consequences are ultimately for your actions, its this. This is truly the only way it can be stopped. As usual, this world is just loaded with people who cannot handle any type of freedom and have to ruin it for everyone else.

And for you "Big Brother" people that dont want to be on camera, dont want to be tracked, dont want anyone to know anything about you- Its too late for all that. I crack up when people flip out over security cameras the govt wants to use on city streets. **NEWS FLASH** YOUVE BEEN ON CAMERA FOR YEARS. Every time you use an ATM, enter a store, gas up your vehicle, enter a Govt building, etc etc etc, you are being taped. Ever wonder why supermarkets want to give you a "customer card"? Its so they can track your buying habits. They know every purchase you have ever made at that store with that card. Airplane travel, train commutes, even travel in a car can be effectively tracked.Your internet travels, no matter how crafty you think you are, are all recorded. Every credit card, gas card, atm card, social security card, drivers liscense, movie rental card, library card, is a trackable number placing you either at a certain place or time, with a certain identity, or with certain activities.They know every job you have ever had and how much money youve made, every car youve ever owned, every time you got mixed up with the law. Wave of the future, baby. ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:06 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Sammy: *cues the applause button*
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:25 am
Gerad
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thats BS blame pirates for mircosoft's action

I`ve pirated games before and music but so what???

If I didn`t pirate it I wouldn`t have bought it anyway

really it's an issue of control mircosoft wants as much control as possible as well as other companines. creating this new system because of pirates is simply an excuse.

Mircosoft wants to limit us and create more profit.

hopefully the US government will step in do something about this nonsense.

Mircosoft does need to be broken up

Mircosoft is stopping progress and keeping us locked in the crappy Windows OS.

I can`t believe the US gov doesn`t consider mircosoft a monolopy.

It's like saying Standard Oil isn`t a monoploy

Maybe we really do have something to worry about but it's not mircosoft it's the us govenment that bothers me.

putting business before consumers.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:28 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Gerad
Thats BS blame pirates for mircosoft's action

Not BS, truth.
quote:
I`ve pirated games before and music but so what???

Gee, thanks for stealing and breaking the law. Am I supposed to respect you for that?
quote:
If I didn`t pirate it I wouldn`t have bought it anyway

Bull. If you had no alternative but to buy what you want, you'd buy it.
quote:
really it's an issue of control mircosoft wants as much control as possible as well as other companines. creating this new system because of pirates is simply an excuse.

Thanks oh so much for giving them an excuse.
quote:
Mircosoft wants to limit us and create more profit.

Please, they couldn't limit people no matter how hard they may try. If they really could limit people Mac and Sun would be out of business and Linux wouldn't exist. And kindly name me one working stiff out there who doesn't want to get paid.
quote:
hopefully the US government will step in do something about this nonsense.

They tried. If anything, they're making a mess.
quote:
Mircosoft does need to be broken up

No, it needs some heathly competition.
quote:
Mircosoft is stopping progress and keeping us locked in the crappy Windows OS.

I don't see anyone pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to use Windows. There are a variety of other software products (some free) that you can use instead. Personally, after working tech support for so long, I don't mind seeing a majority of users (especially stupid ones) using similar platforms. It makes things easier on developers (and me when troubleshooting what they did to their computer) of other software products. They don't have to worry so much about making their software work with tons of other software. Developers for consoles have it easy.
quote:
I can`t believe the US gov doesn`t consider mircosoft a monolopy.

Have you watched the news or picked up a newspaper? There are politicans proclaiming Microsoft a monopoly all the time.
quote:
Maybe we really do have something to worry about but it's not mircosoft it's the us govenment that bothers me.

Then go vote and quit stealing.
quote:
putting business before consumers.

Not if people get off their butts and make themselves heard at the voting booths.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:57 am
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Fact: if piracy stopped game-developers would make more money and could release more games and also make them better.

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next