View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Bilas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Star Trek MMORPG?

Hey everybody,

I would really love to see a Star Trek MMORPG. I feel this type of game would be perfect for online play. You can have humans, Klingons, Romulans, ect and the Star Trek universe is vast! Does anyone know if anybody is planning a game with Star Trek?

Thanks,

Bilas
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:51 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Just like Dungeons & Dragons Online, Middle Earth Online, Star Wars Galaxies, ect -- every major franchise has a very good chance of becoming an mmo based game, so yes i fully expect Star Trek Online. I wouldnt play it though if it was as simplistic as the typical mmo battle function. They need to make the game dynamic and complex, and i highly doubt i would play it if it turned out to be another Earth and Beyond or Eve Online -- which i dont see that being possible unless somebody with an IQ higher than your typical mmo designer was leading the effort. Personally, i would rather see Stargate SG-1 made into a single-player game or even an mmo. That would rock. I would play Stargate Online FOR SURE if its anything like the shows on Sci-Fi channel. I love that show
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:18 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Hmm.... I'm not even sure that a Star Trek online mmo game would even work. On the surface it does seem like the ST universe lends itself very well to the genre. But when you get down to it, isn't ST pretty much based on ship dynamics and space exploration? How would you implement that in an mmo? Have everyone live on a huge ship and go out on away missions once in a while? hmm....

I'm not really convinced that a very good mmorpg model could be made out of Star Trek, not one that would be faithful to the original material anyway. When you think Star Trek, you think of being the captain of a starship, not hopping around hostile planets with a laser gun and killing critters that you pass by for experience points. I may be wrong, but I don't see it happen at all. Not now anyway.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Bilas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for your opinion Ekim but I have to disagree with some of your points.

* But when you get down to it, isn't ST pretty much based on ship dynamics and space exploration?

Sure there will be space combat but there will be many worlds like SWG each with different landscapes, quests, ect. Plus you can have the epic struggles between the different races. I watch Star Trek and it is not all about "space" There are many, many things that can happen on the different worlds remember this is not just the federation but many of the species of ST.

* Have everyone live on a huge ship and go out on away missions once in a while? hmm

Once again it will not be all about "away missions" and living on a ship. Remember this is the "world" of Star Trek, not an episode. It is the whole dynamics of the ST universe, not just Picard or Kirk going on away misions or Sisko on DS9 it will be a mix of all these things.

* I'm not really convinced that a very good mmorpg model could be made out of Star Trek, not one that would be faithful to the original material anyway.

Well I do not think that everyone will be happy about everything. God you have people that mesure Spocks ears and T'pol's eyebrows. I consider myself a fan but I do think in MMORPGS like these everything cannot be perfect.

* When you think Star Trek, you think of being the captain of a starship, not hopping around hostile planets with a laser gun and killing critters that you pass by for experience points.

Hmmm Well I guess DS9 is not ST or the countless times Kirk and crew went hoping around blasting "critters" but there is like I said before a whole lot more to ST than just sitting in the captains chair.

* I may be wrong, but I don't see it happen at all. Not now anyway.

Well I think it could happen and would go where no game has gone before!

Bilas
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:02 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Bilas
Thanks for your opinion Ekim but I have to disagree with some of your points.

Good! That's more fun than always agreeing! (and welcome to our boards, by the way )

quote:
Plus you can have the epic struggles between the different races. I watch Star Trek and it is not all about "space" There are many, many things that can happen on the different worlds remember this is not just the federation but many of the species of ST.

You're right of course, but the problem I see is that ST is usually still centered around exploration, something which is hard to achieve in an mmorpg. I see what you're saying about there being many cultures and struggles. But in that sense I'm still not convinced any kind of design could make it good for an ST mmorpg for reasons I'll go into a little lower...

quote:
Well I do not think that everyone will be happy about everything. God you have people that mesure Spocks ears and T'pol's eyebrows. I consider myself a fan but I do think in MMORPGS like these everything cannot be perfect.

I'm of a same mind as you are, and I know for certain that hardcore fans (purists if you will) would certainly not like the game howevere good it comes out to be. Sometimes I think that the ST purists are more hardcore than any LotR purists will ever be, and that's scary!

quote:
Hmmm Well I guess DS9 is not ST or the countless times Kirk and crew went hoping around blasting "critters" but there is like I said before a whole lot more to ST than just sitting in the captains chair.

Ok, you got me there! Still, you have to admit that you would usually identify ST with the bridge of a spaceship rather than a couple of guys dressed in yellow or red shirts standing on a barren planet trying to discover what's the latest alien to have possessed some crewmember.

My argument really is that howevere more "earthly" you make a ST mmo (by that I mean make it more of a planetary thing than space exploration, à-la SWG), you risk the chance of dilluting the Star Trek feel of the game, even more so than Star Wars would ever do. Somehow the ST franchise has always come back to the ships and the interaction of its crew throughout the episodes/films. And that (to me as an average fan) is what grounds ST in its own universe. Remove the ships with hundreds of crewmembers and their interaction, and you're not left with much...

But that's just my opinion and my vision. Someone could come along and have a great idea that would work. But that would be a greatly daunting task, in my humble opinion.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:25 pm
Altre
eep
eep

It would be interesting if they made the character creation/game training experience be the Starfleet Academy. In the case of other races, (which I would hope they'd include) there would be an equivilant.

As it is, Paramount, and it's parent company, are really screwing the ST franchise over. It's doubtful that they'd put out a good game.

I'm broke due to the fact that I spend all my cash on pens and paper. It's not funny. I need food, and that whole 'place to live' thing is way beyond me.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:46 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I doubt that if even someone decides to make a Star Trek MMORPG, it would be much fun. Mainly, as there will be enough MMORPGs already, not to mention that next year there will be at least 2 more launched. And many of the existing ones are far from terminition. 2nd, as so far the Star Trek franchize is so poorly exploited, that hardly any one will want to make such a game. 3rd, as far as I have seen, sci-fi MMORPG are not that popular - Earth & Beyond is near cancellation, and Eve Online is very close, and they are the only sci-fi MMORPG i can recall, with the exception of SW Galaxies, but that is a different question, as most Star Wars games, no matter how bad they are are not selling bad, as opposed to Star Trek games, which are not only relatively mediocre, but they sell bad - and that is another reason that hardly anyone will want to make such a game. Also, as far as I remmember, the Star Trek license was dropped by Activision, earlier this year.
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:40 pm
Altre
eep
eep

I think that Sci-fi Mmorpg's have a lot of potential. They've yet to be really exploited properly. They've been fundamentally no different than the Midevil Mmorpg's so far. This is a mistake. The Sci-fi Setting has a number of things that could make it unique.

The other thing they suffer from is that most people are rather biased against sci-fi role playing. When the term "role play" or "rpg" comes up people automatically think of dwarves, elves, and wizards. That's not sci-fi's issue, it's ours.

I'm broke due to the fact that I spend all my cash on pens and paper. It's not funny. I need food, and that whole 'place to live' thing is way beyond me.
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:20 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I also think that sci-fi rpg has potential. And I would enjoy a good RPG in sci-fi settings, also. Sadly, such games I can count on the fingers of my left foot, and its missing some fingers
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:28 am
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If it would be anything like Earth and Beyond, I'm not sure my stomach could handle it!

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:43 am