View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Dra Gon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Being a mage

I finished last night G2 as a mage...
I found it a bit boring to be a mage (especially after chapter 3)...
I mean ...
- first time I meet the Seekers and their fire arrows didn't hurt me at all (I was wearing the +10 ALL protection ring and a +10 Fire protection ring and the regular robe)
- if I remember corectly, the same thing was with the orc shamans ...

I was more a fighting mage (65% both 1h and 2 h) and I took down the dragons with my sword - seemed more chalenge to me ...

Then again, I got the High Mage Robe and the seekers weren't able to damage me ...

And at the end of chap 5, it was really hillarious ... I learned all the 6th level spells... from there, al the game was "child's play" ...

I took down about 10 orcs (warriors and elites) in 2 "Rain Fire" ...

Just for fun, I went to the harbor, there were about 20 (or more) paladins and shipguards there... Rain of Fire again (4 times) and they were all dead, without a scratch on me ...

Com'on ... this is not a game anymore: it's a slaughter ...

The Shadow Warriors (the thoughest "regular" monsters) are killed with ONE "Breath of Death"...

I took down the undead dragon with a couple of "Holy Bolts" ( I had to drink some mana potions but I didn't bother to run back I just stand there cause even the Fireballs of the dragon were to weak to make much damage on me...

I don't know... maybe for Xerex (I read about his MOD), it would be much fun if the 6th level spells would be weaker...
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:37 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Like in Gothic I the begining when you're play as a mage is the most difficult, but in later chapters when you're a skilled mage the game will become easier than childs-play.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:42 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

If you played the Gothic 1, then you'd know that the spells were too weak there. Fire rain didn't even kill lowest orc in one cast. Was annoying to work all the way to top and see that you still do more damage with a weapon then with the most powerful spells in the game.

When you learn Circle 6 spells, then you are ultimately the walkin' talkin' death machine. No lousy paladins or orcs are supposed to withstand those spells. Taking them out in batches is the job for the spells (btw, a free tip: Mass Destruction (Wave of Death) works much better then Fire Rain on tough mobs). The main issue is mostly with the AI of the mobs, especially big boss mobs.

Also, if you played Gothic 1, then you'd know that when you got hit while casting a spell, you could NOT finish casting that spell. So all the big power and mean spells were useless, if you were unable to get them off. In Gothic 2, when you're hit while casting a spell, it does not interrupt the spellcasting and thus you simply kill them anyway, if they wont beat the crap out of you first. I think that putting back in the game the feature of spellcasting being interrupted as soon as you get hit will DEFINATELY change your life as a mage much harder. All your big spells wont then matter a squat, when even a meatbug could interrupt your spellcasting by just hitting you (if a meatbug could hit, that is).
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:27 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree that rain of fire is a bit disapointing because it does low damage, but it does that low damage in a big area so it can be very useful in certain situations.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:40 pm
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

Well, most spells are ranged spells and I didn't use them very often in close combat. I think the main reason for the interruption was that the time to cast a spell in Gothic 1 was way longer than in Gothic II. Before you were able to cast a spell even from a distance the enemy was close to you and beat the crap out of you. That made playing as a mage quite frustrating in Gothic I and they changed it for the better in Gothic II. Can't wait to play as a water mage in the forth-comming addd-on.

Kay
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:27 am
Orc Hunter 06
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

yeah it is easy to take out mass amounts with the mass destruction, but it requires 150 mana, thats all i got man... i think the problem with playing as a mage is that you constantly have to recharge your mana, and that is a pain in the butt. i think the developpers knew that and that is y the spells are so good is because they are compansating for the mana
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:48 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Play the game as a mercenary. That's pretty challenging
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:38 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

You can change the spells damage and mana, etc easy in file to balance them out more. I am for G2Hard MOD to make worthless spells stronger and useful, IE Wind Fist is fun after I modded it.

Of course, there is not enough LP in game to learn all spells, but this will give you more of a Fun decision choice (Fireball is over balanced along with Paly Holy Arrow).

I make Seeker real tough and they throw Fireballs 60 at you instead of Fire Arrow 30. that hurts more, good thing they do not throw Death Bolt for 150 magic damage instead.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:25 pm