Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
TruchiSoft

level of technology? cmon!, the npcs could at least move!, ultima7 was done more than 10 years ago, im not asking for a complete AI that goes arround the world traveling, etc, i know we need years for that, but at least they could DO something else, not just stand arround or walk in circles... <br> <br>About the economic system, i found out that it "reset" every month or so (probably less), probably every level, dunno, so its not THAT big deal... <br> <br>now a tip for caldera -- the orc manor there (just front the armorer and the trader) has a creeper that buys at 100% price (and talks funny too) probably a miss from the debug days.. hehe
Post Fri May 24, 2002 6:48 pm

ogre

Mattias when you compare gothic and morrowind, try also to compare the size of the world in both games...I agree with the boring NPC's {I would like to see a patch or datatdisk to fix this one} , but I dont agree with the boring combat that you described - just clicking...well if you dont like it, you should play baldurs gate {or something alike} which has an tactical combat but in 1st person games there can't be anything else than clicking-fighting.. For me Morrowind is the best RPG {along with Baldur's gate 1-2 although these are different games}
Post Mon May 27, 2002 12:41 am

Jung

One thing I've noticed about Morrowind so far is that much of the real estate is unpassable mountain, effectively reducing the size of the world. Granted, I haven't played very far. Is much of the island like this, or does it open up in other areas? <br> <br>As far as the speed of the game goes, what I did was use the editor to change the speed settings. It felt like cheating, but it had to be done:) <br> <br>I don't agree that click fighting is the best that could be done. The game could switch modes for combat to turn based, 3rd person melee, or something else. I haven't played it, but doesn't Jedi Knight 2 have forst person light saber battles? The combat doesn't bother me too much, but is rather uninteresting, requiring neither reflexes nor strategy.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:01 pm

BuddyTool

Well, to each his own. As far as the combat is concerned, if you just stand there and click the mouse button, sure it can be boring. Plus you'll get hit more often. I move around, use different swings, hold mouse button longer for heavier blows ect. This makes it more fun, plus it keeps me from getting hit as often. I enjoyed Gothic too. But it had some faults too ya know, but I did'nt bash it. One thing I did'nt like about Gothic was no freakin shields. How could they not put in shields. Plus the game world was small, it took no time to run across it. I'm not bashing Gothic cause I really liked it, there are just some things I did'nt like about it. Same with Morrowind. Evem tho there are things I don't like about it, the positive things are too good to pass up. <br> <br>Also, with the editor, you know there are going to be some kick butt mods. Hey, if you don't like it, design your own, if you can. <br> <br>I'll tell you what would be nice, if someone could use the editor to finaly do the Dragonlance series some justice, which in my book is one of the greatest series ever written. I getting sick and tired of the Forgotten Realms world. <br> <br>Long Live Rastlin Majere'
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:27 pm

Veteran

Yes i would play sturm, or even tanis, but raistlin would be a blast..
Post Thu May 30, 2002 4:23 am

Jaw

Yes, I do not have morrowind yet, but I have preordered it because it sounds like the best RPG ever made for a computer. I played daggerfall a lot more than I played Ghothic. Gothic was played through in a weekend, and it wasn't any fun to start over... It was almost completly linear. I played through it 2 more times (as a thief and a mage joining different camps), then I put it away. I think morrowind will last a lot longer than a few weeks. <br> <br>And NO I don't think the Forgotten Realms are outdated, but it would be nice to see some other D&D worlds come to life (Really loved Torment & the Dark Sun games, Dragonlance is good too I guess.)
Post Thu May 30, 2002 7:10 am

Jung

I'm not certain, but I believe that Gothic may be the only RPG I've ever finished. Usually I lose interest, or a bug kills my progress. In many RPGs the game mechanics start to shine through the gameplay, and at that point it feels more like work twiddling stats and less like a fun game. <br> <br>In Gothic that didn't happen, and I was thrilled to move up in the ranks of the camp, not just increasing my stats. Though, I wish I could have spent more time just enjoying being a guard, like extorting money from newbies and such. I felt connected to the story because I was a member of a camp and the prison, not just a loner tasked to join the eight pieces of some artifact to ward off some impending evil.
Post Fri May 31, 2002 4:16 pm

eNRGy

Hey Mattias you seem to have reviewed Gothic *twice* on Amazon (UK) (I was just looking there after reading the name here ) <br> <br>I dont think its fair to compare the NPCs of Morrowind and Gothic - one has 2000 and the other has 250. Morrowinds NPCs are brilliant though, I especially love the way they react to the way you dress. (Try running around naked!) <br> <br>The combat could be better, maybe more like Everquest where your character gets on with it instead of you having to click repeatedly and you are free to make tactical decisions. (Like running away, casting spells and using special attacks) <br> <br>On speed, I dont have a problem with it being so slow, but Morrowind really needs a "keep walking" toggle key (like Everquest) I use an Everready 9V battery to hold the key down <br>Generally when I dont have to hold a key down the traveling is pleasant and painless if not very exciting - you can use the tab key to look around for example. While on the subject a lot of keys need always on toggles, sneak for example. <br> <br>I have been playing alot since I got the game and I am deeply impressed so far overall. In fact I would go as far as to say I wish these guys were making MMORPGS (I am a big MMORPG fan) as the MMORPGS out there could all do with some of what Morrowind has.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:35 pm

Brytac

Looked forward to Morrowind for ages (I was a Daggerfall II fan many years ago). <br> <br>I now have MW and im VERY dissapointed with it. Its bug ridden(unless they left it so u could level up a few times by standing there blocking a small rat etc). <br> <br>Im going back to MMORPG...at least u can REALLY interact with people on those games.....u people talking about 'interactive npcs' should really try DAOC/UO/AC etc...play with real people....makes a game a whole lot mor ebelievable than talking to 'XXXX npc' about a book he lost while on a picnic. <br> <br>TA
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:26 pm

Jung

"Btw, isn't anyone but me sick of round grey/brown hills by now?" <br> <br>Yes! I would like to wind my way around a mountan up to the haunted monastary ruins, take a momet to admire the stunning vista when I reach the top, then dive down into the pond below...
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:37 pm

Kamamura

Combat system - this is why I threw the game away... It's SO stupid - like might and magic series. The game might contain myriads of wonderful things, but I want to play a fighter. The day someone makes an RPG with combat system like Blade of Darkness will be a reason for celebration.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:46 pm

meee

Morrowind would be great if the combat was improved, and the speed of people improved, and the load times less frequent, and the NPCs improved (a cleanup of old, completed quests on them would be very very welcome as the clutter becomes annoying) and the list does go on, but at the mo I have other things to do rather then moan all day. <br> <br>I gotta say Gothic was better.. sure it was more linear, but the engine was much more fluid (almost no loading) combat was more enjoyable, and I just felt a lot more belonging to the world. Sure Gothics world is a LOT smaller, but it was just a lot better.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:10 pm

Yoav Fransis

I Have Played The Game for hours and it's perfect !!!!11
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:40 am

Timothius

Interesting how everyone here's raving about Morrowind. It seems that most people are too busy enjoying their life in Vvardenfell, as to waste their time with silly lamentations. No offense - just wonder why everyone here seems to have a negative optinion about Morrowind, while the game is constantly praised by gamers all around the world. Perhaps most peoply are too stupid to know how a game HAS TO be, to be fun
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:53 am

jujubean

Morrowind is really pretty awesome. It takes some time for the plot to develop (for me), but when it did I'm having a blast. A lot of goodies. Fantastic job! All those things that could use improving really don't detract from gameplay any more.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next