FATE: Review @ GameShark
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

FATE: Review @ GameShark

The latest <a href="http://www.gameshark.com/?s=49_169c6ffb-8ded-461d-8dc3-1993f6aa16c&a=reviews&id=2078" target="_blank">review</a> of 'FATE' can be found at GameShark, where they awarded a perfect 5/5:<blockquote><em>FATE is one of the best action role-playing games for the PC that I've played this year. The game isn't particularly innovative and doesn't really bring anything new to the genre but what it does do is deliver a solid and fun game experience for all ages. <br> <br>FATE is an action role-playing game that lets you create a boy or girl character and a companion pet (cat or dog) and head off into a dungeon for randomized encounters, truckloads of loot and treasure and progressively difficult enemies as you descend into the 50 level dungeon to battle a big bad foozle. Fate offers cute graphics, and borrows a lot from other games like Diablo and Dungeon Siege. The game is simple to pick up and play but offers a challenge for both novice players and hardcore RPG fans alike. </em></blockquote>
Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:07 pm
Lucky Day

Second review in row with no mention of the spyware that's installed with the game.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:08 pm

Dagar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Exactly!

I would like to try the game but I want no part of the installed spyware deal.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:40 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

If you read all the details about it available on the WT forums, you'd see it's NOT really spyware and is NOT being used as spyware. Even so, WT are looking at their delivery model to see if they can appease the paranoids!! Look for an interview with Travis Baldree here early next week!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:59 pm
Dagar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would buy it in a second if that WildTangent shite was not in it.
No matter how they try to say it is not spyware, it is.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 am
Lucky Day

It is spywar Corwin. If what they do is not your definition of spyware, its certainly malware. In my books anything that tracks you and sends out info on you is spyware - including cookies. I delete those on a regular basis and by their own admission they are getting a lot more on you than cookies can.

I have read all the forum information on it because the second I saw it try to install WildTangent on my machine my red flags went up.

They can deny it through their teeth but until they simply stop installing a program to get whatever information their trying to send back to themselves from my computer I don't trust it.

Why can't they be content with the $20 they're asking for? Why are they trying to load monitoring software on my machine so bad? Why do they take personal shots at the freeware progamme called Spybot?
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:03 am

Lucky Day

anywasys, lets just agree to disagree Corwin. My concern is too many reviewers are passing this game by without mentioning tis important controversy and they are doing their readers a disservice. One that is a major concern in these days post-dotcom websurfing (ie. bonzai buddy, kazaa, realjukebox, ie's alexa). No program is ever going to tell you they are malware.

For example, TiVo has been collecting "statistical" data for years now through the phone connection they insist you install. When the company wanted to stop losing money recently they announced they reveresed their policy and have started selling the information to various marketing firms and their stock went way up.

Even worse, American Express has done the same thing. Bank of America was even caught tracking customers for Doubleclick recently by hiding tracking information in tiny jpg's..

So..forgive me for being paranoid. I don't think I'm at Cleve's level yet but I am getting the tinfoil for my head ready to keep out gator.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:17 am

Where has the world come to, a pathetic Diablo clone getting perfect grades???

This confuses me. First Diablo was released and it was a masterpiece, and pretty much everyone loved it. Then, for some reason, it was "cool" to diss Diablo because it wasn't a RPG, so all the "real" RPG fans hated the game. Now it's "cool" to like it again?

I personally found Diablo to have fun combat, but not really much in the RPG side (so few quests, no alternative path or way to do quests, almost no character intereaction). I enjoyed the game, but I can't really call it a full blown RPG. More like an action game, with a few minor RPG elements.

It's fun to see sites like RPGCodex, who pretty much hate every RPG ever released (I never understood the RPG part of their title, since they clearly don't support the genre), all praising Fate and getting all crazy about Hellgate: London...
Talk about "real" RPG's...
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:48 pm

FadedC

Diablo is unquestionably an RPG, it's just a hack and slash one. There is no requirement at all that a RPG contain dialogue, complex storylines or anything like that. Nor is there any requirement for turn based gameplay.

As for Fate, it sounds like it was inspired as much by Rogue as Diablo. Of course the original Diablo was also inspired a great deal by Rogue, so it's not surprisising that Fate takes it a step further. Being a diablo clone isn't a bad thing, it's just that nobody who has ever attempted it has ever been remotely as good as diablo.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by FadedC
Diablo is unquestionably an RPG, it's just a hack and slash one. There is no requirement at all that a RPG contain dialogue, complex storylines or anything like that. Nor is there any requirement for turn based gameplay.

As for Fate, it sounds like it was inspired as much by Rogue as Diablo. Of course the original Diablo was also inspired a great deal by Rogue, so it's not surprisising that Fate takes it a step further. Being a diablo clone isn't a bad thing, it's just that nobody who has ever attempted it has ever been remotely as good as diablo.

Why is Diablo unquestionably an rpg? Because you say so? I say it isn't. You don't define what your opinion of an rpg but I can guess it would be any game where the character becomes more powerful throughout playing. But that would include MegaMan, Metroid, and Zelda. Also Black and White and Republic the revolution.

You miss the whole point of the rp in rpg. Diablo is unquestionably not an rpg, as long as the rp in rpg stands for role playing.

Diablo might be a good game, but is never and will never be an rpg. Just as Doom isn't a rts, and Warcraft isnt a tbs. Words stand for something more than an ambigous catagorization.

But if you want to see Diablo as an rpg go right ahead, just don't tell me it is unquestionably an rpg.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:29 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Why is Diablo unquestionably an rpg? Because you say so? I say it isn't. You don't define what your opinion of an rpg but I can guess it would be any game where the character becomes more powerful throughout playing. But that would include MegaMan, Metroid, and Zelda. Also Black and White and Republic the revolution.

You miss the whole point of the rp in rpg. Diablo is unquestionably not an rpg, as long as the rp in rpg stands for role playing.

Diablo might be a good game, but is never and will never be an rpg. Just as Doom isn't a rts, and Warcraft isnt a tbs. Words stand for something more than an ambigous catagorization.

But if you want to see Diablo as an rpg go right ahead, just don't tell me it is unquestionably an rpg.

I can only speak to CRPGs, but due to the nature of this site I feel it's safe to assume that when someone types RPG they are abbreviating CRPG. Then again, we all know what happens when one assumes.

Diablo is unquestionably a CRPG. The hallmark of a CRPG is, as you sarcastically allege, character development. Gaining levels, improving stats, gaining better and better equipment, having experience points; these are what seperate a CRPG from a different game. Nothing else.

When a review says a strategy game has "RPG elements", to what is he referring? Branching plotlines? Compelling back-story? Nope; these elements may exist, but they are not unique to CRPGs. He means your units level up. When a reviewer says an action game has "RPG elements", what does she mean? Dialogue choices? Immersive "roleplaying"? Nope. She means your character earns experience to upgrade her abilities.

Is King's Quest an RPG? Is Myst an RPG? In how many computer games DON'T you take on the role of someone? In Black & White, you take on the role of a God, but it's not a CRPG. In Doom III you take on the role of a space marine, but it's not a CRPG. Can you name a single CRPG without stats, levels, experience, or character ability development of some sort? These are the mechanisms that make a game an CRPG.

Story, immersion, characterization (ie compelling dialogue and interaction amongst your party, or whatever), non-linearity, any of these elements can be real standouts, and any one or group of them could really drive the title and be its primary appeal. Hey, that's great. But what makes a game a CRPG is character advancement and development. And Diablo has it in spades.

And yes, while Fate is definitely a good game and well worth my $20, it's biggest problem is that Diablo II is more than 10X the game it is on just about every level. Still, coming from a small team and at such a low price, I think Fate is a very promising development.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:45 pm

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh
Diablo is unquestionably a CRPG. The hallmark of a CRPG is, as you sarcastically allege, character development. Gaining levels, improving stats, gaining better and better equipment, having experience points; these are what seperate a CRPG from a different game. Nothing else.

Ok, now Warcraft III is officially a RPG, since the character levels up...

Your views of what makes an RPG are funny...
Let's see, my brother was playing a soccer game (I believe it's Pro Evolution Soccer 4) and in one of the modes as you play games you earn experience, and your players improve their stats. That soccer game is now officially a RPG.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:59 pm

I should add that RPG now means "Games in which you level up your character", not really Role Playing Game.

Thanks for the valuable lesson.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:02 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeesh, you can call anything tou want an rpg. I really dont care. My mothers an rpg. Just dont tell me what I should believe since my reasoning makes a hell of a lot more sense than yours and contains no fallacies.

The difference between an rpg and a crpg is the word computer, role playing is still included. And as you say you do take on a role in all the games you meantioned, so either everygame is an rpg or only rpgs are rpgs. In my definition of rpg if I cant play the role I want, then I am not playing an rpg. Diablo doesn't even have character creation for crhits's sake. The difference between an rpg and lets say doom is that one has a set path and your actions have no effect on this, this is the opposite of what rpgs are about. Pbviously when crpgs first started this type of freedom wasnt allowed, but as it becomes more and more allowable by technology, it becomes more and more rare.

The rpg or crpg medium doesn't matter when the mechanics, theory, and reasoning behind them is not related. Thats like saying video games are books when the function of one is totally different than that of the other. An e-book still provides the same exact thing as a regular book, a crpg and an rpg provide two unrealated in every way imaginable things. Crpgs is not to rpg as e-book is to book. Since no one can make a definition for a crpg that makes any sense at all (or excludes blatant non-rpgs) but rpg is steeped in hostoric presidence and well defined, I will hold them to the same standard. So either come up with a new name for your genre, or don't try to force me in to believing jibberish, and call it unquestionable.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:46 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

Ok, now Warcraft III is officially a RPG, since the character levels up...

No, Warcraft III is an RTS with RPG elements. If you feel the gaming press would disagree with that assessment, then read some (now ancient) reviews and report back here. If you feel that the gaming press's definition of "RPG elements" is less relevant than the unstated one you seem to have in your head, then any attempt for us to get on the same page terminology-wise is doomed to failure from the start.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:11 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next