Gothic III - 14 Screens @ Gamespot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic III - 14 Screens @ Gamespot

Gamespot has posted fourteen new screenshots from their demo experience with Gothic III. You can view them all right <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic3/screenindex.html?part=rss&tag=gs_&subj=6151362" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 12:20 pm

How many shades of brown and green can they use? Don't get me wrong I love the Gothic series but dang give it some color please! And no I don't want it to look like WOW.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Are you retarded or something? Did you not read that they are keeping that Dirty Gothic feeling from the first game? Gothic 1 was the best in the series and also had the best setting. It looks great so please never comment again when you know nothing

If you want a very colorful game i reccomend playing alot of Mario type pokemon dinosaur 4 year old mentality type games.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 3:06 pm

GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
How many shades of brown and green can they use? Don't get me wrong I love the Gothic series but dang give it some color please! And no I don't want it to look like WOW.

I don't know, I like the realistic, gritty look. And one advantage of that is that it makes the special effects stand out the more. Finding the circle of the sun in G2 with its magic eruptions was just awesome, for example.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 4:34 pm
screeg

I never played Gothic I or II (there goes my credibility), and these screens are kind of hit and miss to me.

On the one hand, the shots of people around that compound, especially the blacksmiths performing THREE DIFFERENT SMITHING ANIMATIONS are hella cool.

On the other hand the orcs and the alligator look god-awful crappy, like Fisher-Price toys or something.

And on my third hand, the wingless bird/dinosaur monster things again look great: nicely textured, original looking monsters.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 6:49 pm

Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry,

but those screens are of not much use - they´re rather quite redundant.
Either they´re not even taken from "their demo experience" (on the E3), or they made a very poor choice for their shots.

At least they show the very same motives as screenies published from official side already months ago!
Aye, some are even almost identical within that same set of 14! (The feathered Scavengers e.g. ; or that stronghold picture. )

Well, whatever...
Ragon

Let´s see if the new videos are more worth it...
Post Wed May 17, 2006 8:01 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ragon
Sorry,

but those screens are of not much use - they´re rather quite redundant.
Either they´re not even taken from "their demo experience" (on the E3), or they made a very poor choice for their shots.

At least they show the very same motives as screenies published from official side already months ago!
Aye, some are even almost identical within that same set of 14! (The feathered Scavengers e.g. ; or that stronghold picture. )

Well, whatever...
Ragon

Let´s see if the new videos are more worth it...

It's possible that the Gothic folks are following the same path that the NWN 2 guys have been following. Until a week or so before E3, the screenshots for the game were very poor quality and had been taken from early builds of the game. Not exactly a showcase for a game that comes out in less than three months. Let's hope that some of the movies and resultant screens show a bit more promise in the near future.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 9:49 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

They look great to me. The Gothic color palette is what it is, if you arent used to it by now you never will be!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu May 18, 2006 4:05 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

where are all gothic 3 previews and interviews from e3? Ign had a one, same goes for gamespot, but what about other major gaming sites? I do hope that this wasn't all! btw was rpgdot on the spot?
Post Thu May 18, 2006 8:12 am
Father Omally

My eyes have been blinded by light of beauty glorious!

Oh my! What is this? I feel the sacred spirit of an irish jig verberating through my feeble flesh! Oh lordy! Lord! Lord! Am dancing with devout limbs akimbo filled with gaming joy beyond measure from these images of Gothic gaming sweetness! Thank you oh Rpgdot Servants for this moment of truth in the light of happiness which portends of things to come just as the coming of the special one.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 am

Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes i agree Father Omally,

...colour palettes - brown and green shades - Fisher-Price orcs, all of these topics will fade away when the game is released because G3 will be awesome, it's true,
pleasent graphics do help but it will be the "gameplay" that will pull the player into the immersive gothic world, G3 will have no equal where the delicate inter-twining of dialogue depth and gameplay is concerned.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 2:03 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm so tired of "graphics first" game development. Its just too damn expensive to keep up with this BS and even topflight hardware has slowdowns on these "next gen" games.

Give me great gameplay at a decent FPS. No slideshow combat thanks. Hell I'd be just as happy with a game on the G2 engine.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:15 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Indeed. I'd rather see developers focusing on the story and gameplay itself over graphics.
I'm not even sure if realistic graphics actually help the genre. Nice looks are um... nice, but it may be easier to accept all sorts of silliness if it doesn't look overly realistic.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:39 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Agreed. Im playing Gothic II right now and am quite happy with the graphics.

I was, for a while, someone who demanded good graphics, but this was years ago. Now, I think weve hit the point to where any modern graphics, and indeed even graphics a year or two old, are going to be good enough to suit their purpose. Leave em alone already, weve hit the threshhold, now concentrate on making the rest of the game with the same fervor as you do trying to make something look good.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu May 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Well, the orcs look like giant gnomes. From outer space.

Maybe I remember incorrectly, but I think they looked better in Gothic I and II; but the developers and artists are probably so used to them already that they will never see something odd in them, so I guess we will have to get used to them, too. At some point
Post Fri May 19, 2006 5:49 pm