View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

How Many in a Passle?

Hello Again Spacedogs

Well I promised a "passle" of posts but now I find that I'm not sure how many that constitutes. It's a few anyway, so here's the second of em.

"Ra Ra Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen..." etc etc.

Ok... not Rasputin but Badger. Not lover but saviour and not Russian but Boron. Hmmmm and erm... not the queen, but her daughter.

Actually can we start again?

That message always seems to be on the bulletin board where ever I travel. You know the one? Queen Atreus of Boron space needs rare items for a drug to save her daughter Menelaus.

Normally I ignore it, but today I was feeling that the world and I were just starting to get on level terms. My one and only Mercury was trogging slowly toward silicon mine where I'd spotted a price in the high 300's, at "Kingdoms End", I had just enough money to fill the hold when it arrived and then with that score I would finally start to move out of the red and into the black.

So I said to myself, lets share the happiness! I'll get them their cure.

I did a quick search and found Space weed to be in short supply. Difficult, but not impossible. I could put together the ten units they needed with a short trip in my faithful Discoverer "Heart of Gold" between three stations and after all I had the time to kill while I waited for "Hobbling Boris" to arrive.

So I said yes, forgetting the golden rule that you sign up in haste and repent at leisure. I'd not thought to check availiability on the second item. "Space Fuel" and that was a mistake!

I knew of two pirate bases and neither had a single unit in stock! Luckily for me a little research revealed a distillery right under the Argons noses in "Herrons Nebula." That was close... but I was back in business.

But the worst news was to come. On delivery of the goods the Borons thanked me profusely for my selfless act!

Erm... hang on.. selfless?

And since I had refused financial compensation.....

YOU WHAT???!!!!

I would be welcome in Boron space anytime I liked.

What do they think? I'm some kind of charity?! I'm out thousands for the cost of the ingredients they needed for their damned potion and I was relying on that money, to say nothing of a reward, to pay for cargo for "Hobbling Boris" when she finally limps in.

So I'm now welcome in Boron space and the queens daughter will recover. Well whoppie doo! Meanwhile I have no butter on my bread, a hole in my sock and a spring sticking out of my pilots chair.

Oh... and in case any of you were looking for a surprise happy ending? "Hobbling Boris" has finally dragged her behind into "Silicon Mine Alpha" to find that the price has gone up to 590!

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a trader after all.

Badger
Post Tue May 24, 2005 10:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You forgot the rule: "No good deed goes unpunished."
Post Tue May 24, 2005 5:20 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Nuff said friend Badger!
Mark Twain
Post Wed May 25, 2005 3:36 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

So now I'm a Moron...... erm... BORON knight. how does this benefit the Badger? Better prices? Turning a blind eye if I smuggle? Windscreen wash service when i stop at stations? What?

Badger
Post Wed May 25, 2005 1:25 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well... largely it does nothing. I believe you did get paid a little bit (probably not enough to cover costs). A lot of people leave that little mission until racial reputation starts getting hard to come by because it's a huge chunk of rep... equal to slaying hundreds of pirates. I didn't wait and it didn't hurt me any (and let me, um, 'decomission', a key solar power plant and monopolize a three sector grid without becoming an enemy of the people.)

Ultimately... your reputation needs to get really, really high with at least one of the races to purchase the technical schematics to those pesky 'unknown' ships. Well, needs is too strong a word... you can easily live without the knowledge. It's most useful when one of your ships is destroyed by an 'unknown' ... lets you identify, post mortum, whether it was a pack of scouts or a big, bad M3 that killed your poor trader. Which mostly determines your response 'scout? bah! Why you little....' or 'Fighter? Mommy. Um... let's flag that sector as a no fly zone for a bit...' or 'Better send a M3 to clear out that pesky scout' or 'better send a corvette to clear out that murderously rampaging fighter' or 'That's the third ship I've lost to pirates in that sector. Remotely activating Cruiser jumpdrive. Command: Attack all. Wipe them out... all of them.'

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 25, 2005 2:20 pm