View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Need good RPG recommendations!

Hey, everybody,

I've just finished Anachronox, and am desperate for a quality new RPG! If any of ya'll have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. (I also enjoy adventure games, ala Myst or Syberia) I've already played the following: Diablo I & II, Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Anachronox, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Might & Magic IX, Morrowind, Myst series, and that's all I can think of.

Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:05 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wizards & Warriors is a great RPG and Wizardry 8 is suppsosed to be good too, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

It's not exactly an RPG but Draken: Order of the Flame is cool.

There is also a thread somewhere about top ten CRPGS but I can't find it right now, might try to search, chances are you will get abunch of recommendations that are in that thread.

EDIT: Ohh yea, Betrayal at Krondor is a GREAT game, lil' old when it comes to graphics and you may need to do some tweaking to get it running right on your machine but it would be worth it. It's available free from any software site.
If you like BaK I'd also recomend Betrayal in Antara, though many will not, I actually liked it, at least I did until I accidentally deleted my saved games
I'd also recommend Return to Krondor, though I never got very far in it because I had framerate problems. It's on my list of games to try again now that I upgraded though.

OHHH I almost forgot, Soulbringer is a GREAT RPG if you give it a chance. I literally couldn't stop playing it.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:14 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Provis:
Then we two are the only people who actually liked Betrayal at Antara.

B&B:
For RPGs, try PLanescape Torment or Jagged Alliance II, or even NWN... for adventures, try Zork: Nemesis or Realms of the Haunting (both somewhat aged).
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:10 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Since you didn't mention some other great titles, here is it:

1) Fallout 1 & 2 (excludes Fallout Tactics = many said/myself think it's sucks).

2) Planescape Torment (best story/plot, like a interactive novel).

3) Icewind Dale 1 (next month IWD2 available. quite similar to Diablo 1&2)

4) Grant Thief Auto 3/GTA3 (many RPG elements plus lots of actions: background = modern degenerated cities & lives, mafia, thugs, maniac shooting on streets, car chasing, etc - taste very fresh/different from general medieval/tolkienish CRPGs).

5) Thief 1 & 2 = hardcore roleplayer's game (very little fighting but many stealth missions), very original and good atmosphere.

6) Deus Ex = futuristic theme, involves conspiracy, good story, some stealth & some action missions. (Deus Ex 2 in production).

7) System Shock 1 & 2 = sciene fiction game, very good atmosphere and original story.

Neverwinter Nights = should buy it mostly for multiplayer/Dungeons master options.

9)Best adventure games i ever played = The Longest Journey (game from France?. very original theme and excellent story/plot, some funny scenes, good characterisation; beware thought - should patient with lots of puzzles)

Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:13 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

try the "Top Rated Games" list on your left.

(use this technique:

a) find a person xxx, who likes the same games as you
b) click on the link "more reviews from xxx"

)

i will bump up the top 10 rpg list thread for you.

If you like adventure games i would recommend "The Longest Journey" and the "Gabriel Knight" triology.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:11 am
sweepah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Noooooo if you like adventure games I would like to heavily recommend the Monkey Island series.

Could you pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty please with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles and a cherry on top give me that bucket?
Hmm.....Sure.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:05 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Jaz
Yea, I don't know why more people liked it, I thought it had a fairly decent story and basically the same gamplay as BaK. *shrugs*

@Bach
Ohh, you also might want to try Might and Magic VI-IX. I only tried VI but I loved it, until I deleted my saved games. I always have the worst luck with saved games, though I still have my saved games from games that I've beaten, I always seem to lose/forget to back up saved games from games I invested tons of time in but was unable to beat before I wanted to format.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:16 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, The Longest Journey are from Funcom, and they are from Norway. I think...
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:38 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Try Might and Magic 6 or 7 ... 7 is a better game than 6 but 6 is huge and has a lot of things to do. They are MUCH better than M&M 9.

Edit - I recently wrote a small review of MM7 for RPGDot, read that for more details.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:17 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Need good RPG recommendations!

quote:
Originally posted by Bach & Baroque
Hey, everybody,

I've just finished Anachronox, and am desperate for a quality new RPG! If any of ya'll have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. (I also enjoy adventure games, ala Myst or Syberia) I've already played the following: Diablo I & II, Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Anachronox, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Might & Magic IX, Morrowind, Myst series, and that's all I can think of.

Any and all recommendations are welcome!

Umm... Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bach asked for new RPGs?
Everyone is mentioning older RPGs - all fine suggestions by the way. But if I understood correctly he wants to know about new arrivals.

The only new arrival you haven't played I can safely recommend is NeverWinter Nights. I would recommend Morrowind as well but then you've played it. Of course, NeverWinter nights is most enjoyable online with friends though. Don't expect the best RPG out of the single player experience.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:20 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Uhhh oh, I kinda thought he meant new to him.

Ohhh well, if he wants to try older games he could get 3-5 of them for the price of one new game.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:36 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oh, any and all RPG's are great! Older, newer, I'll take any. Though I must say I am a little fonder of the newer material, as I very much like purty 3D games.

But these are all great ideas, guys (and gals)! Thanks a lot!
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:09 pm
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Bach & Baroque
Oh, any and all RPG's are great! Older, newer, I'll take any. Though I must say I am a little fonder of the newer material, as I very much like purty 3D games.

But these are all great ideas, guys (and gals)! Thanks a lot!

I'm currently playing Fallout right now, and I have to say that it is one of the best games I've played. I love the feeling of freedom (at least relative to most CRPGs), and the many ways to solve a given problem. But be warned; you won't know exactly what to do or how to do it at any given point in the game... But that's the fun part, figuring it out

The graphics aren't that good by today's standards (released 5 years ago), but I think it's an even better overall game than Baldur's Gate (BG has a better combat system, IMO)

- Wind
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:27 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I can't believe we've only got one vote for Wiz8 so far. Fantastic game with story and character development, less than a year old, should be able to get it pretty cheap, replayable, nearly bug-free... What more could a gamer ask for?

Can't say I'd dispute any of the other games mentioned, though. If you go for an older title, I'd definitely agree with Lintra on MM6 and MM7.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:12 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

@dteowner
Hehe, yea and the person that recomended it never got around to playing it.
Just goes to show how much faith I have in it.

@no one in particular.
Ohh yea, I just remembered, Grimoire who knows when it will come out but it looks very good.

Ohhh yea and Arx Fatalis looks awesome, so awesome I wanted to get the German version and have my neighbor, who is from originally from Germany, come over to translate everything for me while I was playing.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next