Trouble running the game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Trouble running the game...

When I first installed Divine Divinity a configuration menu/screen showed up. The default selection was Direct 3D, but for some reason whenever I test it it gets stuck. When I test it the screen just goes black and I can move the mouse, but no matter how long I wait the black screen never goes away, and the image of the divine divinity logo never shows. I have to force quit out of this screen when testing with Direct 3D. When I test with 'software' or 'DirectDraw' I see the image of the logo, with flashing colors. However, I'm also seeing flashing chunks of my desktop showing through the testing screen. It seems to especially show through where I move my mouse. The FPS were faster on software than DirectDraw, at about 100FPS. 'Glide' doesn't even enter the testing screen, instead I just get an error saying "initialisation of this mode failed."

I have no idea what is going on. Here's another question, how do I check what my current version of DirectX is? I did download v8.1 from the game CD, but I think I already had v9.0 installed. My only thought is perhaps DirectX9 is still in beta and is causing problems? Anyway, how do I check which version is currently being used? And how do roll back to a previous version if the current version is 9.0 and that is the problem?

I do have the latest drivers for my video card. The video card I'm currently using is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420. I suspect the problem has something to do with Direct 3D or DirectX....and yes, I read the read me file and tried the 'Use AlphaBit.'

I tried playing it with the 'software' selection, at a FPS of 101, but I kept seeing chunks of the screen popping up. Something is clearly wrong. I've played over 50 fairly recent games on this computer, and they all worked fine. I don't think my hardware is the problem. Suggestions are welcome.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:59 am
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can check the version by running Start, Run, then typing in DXDIAG and press enter. This will show you what version you have. If you installed 8.1 over 9.0 then you will want to reinstall the 8.1 or you can do a system restore. I would try the reinstall of 9.0 first though.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:39 am
Dr. Doom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I couldn't run the test in Direct3D also.
But this was only in the test
try to play the game in de direct 3D mode by skipping the test.

Did you installed the latest 1.34A patch?
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:42 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Um... I played the entire game and never ran the test.

Click check for skip test.

There, I need to go into tech support.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:37 am