Whoa; what a rush!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
NOYB
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whoa; what a rush!

Well, my Level 5 Thief/Caster just returned safely to Arx with three dragon eggs in his backpack. Not a bad day's work; he deserves a rest.

Just for yucks, I tried to duke it out the first time. Yeah, right. Anyone happen to know how many HPs that dragon has? My guy has 63, which was--surprise!--not enough, even with a half-dozen refills. Maybe with another 2- or 3-dozen health potions--or maybe not. Anyway, I had to drop back to the smash/grab/dash plan, which worked fine. Though I was surprised by how UNvigorous the dragon was in his/her/its pursuit--didn't even chase me up to the hole.

I *really* hope I'm not going to need to go back there....
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:42 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

As far as I know, you only need 1 egg from that cave.. Later you might want to get dragon bones or more eggs for enchating experiments, but this is optional.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:55 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Ice Dragon: 300 HP, 50 AC, 15 DMG, Spellcaster ability, and worth 800 XP.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:37 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

dragons attack...stealing eggs

I did this quest to acquire dragons eggs out of order too...but not at such a low level as your character...impressive...the 1st try for me I wasn't as prepared as I should have been ...and fumbled around a bit with strategy...I had no intentions of killing the dragon and easily bought an egg...wanted another for the strange potion and needed the 1st for the ultimate weapon...so my plan was to steal the 2nd with telekinesis...but when I did I couldn't get my ******* backpack open to store the 2nd egg...(had just acquired the newest addition which added the third section in one of the ice caves and wasn't adept at using it yet...) the dragon started attacking with paralize and what a show...the roaring and wing flapping...the multiple paralize spells it flung at me... 6 or 7 in a row so I couldn't move...were terrifying...and I like dragons...after even more problems at the exit with the stairs ...trying to navigate them with multiple paralize from the dragon was awful...I had to wait thru sometimes 4 in a row or then next time 7 in a row or mabye 6 always random casting by the Dragon...but I could only move 1 or 2 steps in between...this was a very long trek thru that blue mist which paralizes you...I kept expecting to be killed but the dragon just used multiple paralize...its reasoning may have been only to retrieve its eggs without damaging them...haha...eventually I made it to Greu's area but still the dragon wouldn't let up with paralize...it's range is enormous...This teleporter at level 2 will not activate for me ...see other posts...so I headed to other exits...got to the level 1 stairway...Dragon still casting paralize...but not wanting to save this game (in case this was a bug) so quit game and went back to an earlier save to try again...My new strategy was more effective...and used slow time on the dragon before stealing second egg...this let me get out quick ...and the dragon didn't use paralize as often or with the same range as in the previous encounter...it gave up rather quickly...but I am still wondering if it was a bug the 1st time around...I have encountered a bug before with the giant worm...see post...what has anyone else encountered...?

THE TAROT
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:50 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

questions...ice column bridge...rear of Dragon's lair

Did anyone else find the ice column at 19 and knock it down to make a bridge back...used the pickaxe but didn't see this mentioned in the walkthru...and did anyone explore the rear of the Dragons cave ...it looks as if it connects to rm 9 level 2 on the map...I forgot to do that... yet have found no way to enter Dragon's lair from rm 9...?

THE TAROT
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:07 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I remeber looking forever in room 9 for a way to that part of the level... I'm guessing it doesn't really communicate really... On the other side of the dragon is a crapper... Wonder how the goblinds got away digging a hole for a crapper into a dragon's nest
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:03 am
NOYB
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dragon Eggs

>>I did this quest to acquire dragons eggs out of order too

Actually, I wasn't there for the eggs. I only went there because I got tired of seeing runes in places I couldn't get to, so I cheated and looked up where rune "Communicatum" could be found. But once I got it, I realized that I had used up all the Levitate scrolls I had found and probably wasn't going to get that spell for a while, so I thought I'd better grab everything while I was in town. Since games like this rarely put in things that aren't going to be either mandatory or extremely useful later, I figured I'd better grab the eggs while I was there.

>>I had no intentions of killing the dragon and easily bought an egg

Bought? I talked to the dragon, but s/he only insulted me about my prowess as a Guardian. When I clicked on the dragon, a canned scene played where my character said something about "needing to get into the Temple", and the dragon insulted me about being stymied by a mere door, and told me I should run along before I caught cold. No mention of the possibility of buying an egg.

>>the dragon started attacking with paralize and what a show...the roaring and wing flapping...the multiple paralize spells it flung at me... 6 or 7 in a row so I couldn't move...were terrifying...and I like dragons...after even more problems at the exit with the stairs ...trying to navigate them with multiple paralize from the dragon was awful...I had to wait thru sometimes 4 in a row or then next time 7 in a row or mabye 6 always random casting by the Dragon

Yeah, I went through one of those; what a pain! When I got out past where I'd melted the corpse out of the ice--*well* out of sight of the dragon--and was still getting the near-constant paralyze, I figured that wasn't the best approach, so I reloaded.

>>My new strategy was more effective...and used slow time on the dragon before stealing second egg...this let me get out quick ...and the dragon didn't use paralize as often or with the same range as in the previous encounter...it gave up rather quickly...but I am still wondering if it was a bug the 1st time around

On my successful attempt I didn't actually do anything to the dragon at all. I just queued up a couple of TKs for the eggs that were too high to reach and a Dispel Field for the field that the dragon used to block the exit hole. Then I just TK'ed the two higher eggs, grabbed the third, and ran like h**l. Got hit with a couple of Paralyzes, but nothing at all like the first time. Once through the hole, I closed it with Create Field, and heard no more from the Big D.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:09 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

buying a dragon egg

NOYB
I never got that cut scene from the Dragon...She (don't only females lay eggs) only listened to me say I needed one and why...then talked about why she shouldn't be concerned with my problems or give up one of her children for ARX...something like that...then she said she'd only sell me one...and that only happens if you've read the book in the Arx city library that numbers the count of a Dragons scales...I had... so I just clicked on my money pouch and then clicked on her...the egg went into my inventory...
she never said a thing about the cold...or ghosts...but I've read about it in other posts...interesting...but what about my other questions...?Thanks for responding...

THE TAROT
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:32 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Enter the Dragon

The thing with the remarks of slight chilliness and such is a little, well sort of a bug in the game. It happens with the castle librarian too, and others...

Sometimes the cutscenes don't start but you only get the generic response from the NPC (in the dragons case it's the 'don't you feel your bones freezing'-thingy).

When I first went to see the dragon (before I was told to get some eggs) she (I don't know, could be a he...dragonology isn't in my best field of expertise, but somehow I remember that all dragons can lay eggs, or that they in fact are hermafrodites...or androgynes?) just prattled on about me being a crappy Guardian and so on...

The thing is, this cutscene didn't start straight away, I had to double-click on the dragon a second time! The same thing has happened a few times with various NPCs in the game, so it's always best to talk to someone a few times, just to be on the safe side.

It was absolutely stupid to find out that you weren't supposed to go hunt down everything in the deeper levels to get ahead in the game, you only needed to bother King Lunshire twice in a row!
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:04 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

talking to NPC's...dragon lore...

GOOD ADVICE...but for me that hasn't always worked...early on in the game King L never would talk to me...see prior posts...and Carlo still identifies as just " a man "...he never sent me to King L for that clear rubble Quest...so killing all the Trolls and Goblins at those levels was the only way for me to progress...unless I restarted another game...and the Troll in the prison cleared the passage after I freed him...so I'm back on track...but because of that bug some other things didn't happen for me...no book from Chiklashh for Greu...and she never gave me the teleporter runes or info...I acquired the runes elsewhere and have been able to activate all teleporters except Greu's...I always talk to NPC's until I start getting repeat messages...Interesting about Dragons being hermaphrodites...there are instances in the reptile world (some real life fish and lizards) who are such... or able to change sexes for reproductive purposes at will... or more probably by natures design to take advantage of changing food resources and enviornment...so you've come across some Dragon lore that says either sex can lay eggs...or that they're androgenous...I've never come across that ...interesting...

THE TAROT
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:55 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

For the fragon, quite obviously if you've never been sent on a quest to find said eggs you won't really know you'll need them now will you? So it's kinda hard to ask a dragon to trade in a youngun for it...
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:11 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The dragon and 'is/'er eggs

RED, if you go to the dragon before you're informed to get eggs, there is a different cutscene! I found her (it's a her in the game, at least, check out the credits / voices ) too early in the game, and got a cutscene where she talked about my Guardianship and destiny and all that stuff.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:06 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: talking to NPC's...dragon lore...

quote:
Originally posted by RAVENAL
didn't happen for me...no book from Chiklashh for Greu...and she never gave me the teleporter runes or info...I acquired the

For the Greu book quest, you have to talk to him first, then you have to talk to a particular troll in the mine on the Goblin level before she will give you the book. So if you killed the trolls in the mine...
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:30 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

Greu's book

Yes you are right ...but since my game was not following the prescribed pattern...but I knew where to find the book...I attempted to see what the outcome would be if I got the book from Chinlashh ...since she would never give me that quest...or book...I needed to steal it from her or kill her for it...stealing seemed the best course of action... but because she is always facing you it was impossible to steal from her without her seeing and killing you...when you kill her all of Arx is against you and that's alot of killing to accomplish to continue playing...also may have further skewed my game ...I don't know if I needed any further involvment with the people of Arx...but just recently I figured out how to steal from Chilklashh...and did it hoping to find the book and gain 5000 XP by giving it to Greu...only the book had dissappeared from her inventory...So...who knows where it went...I know it was there at an earlier level because I killed her and found it...I never saved that game and reloaded with a living Chiklashh ...played up a few levels and tried the new tactic for stealing...but now no book is available in her inventory...Strange...

THE TAROT
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:58 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Greu's book

If I'm understanding you correctly, maybe the book is gone from her inventory when you kill the other troll in the mine who tells you what greu would want (book). In other words, that other troll is the actual trigger for that quest, or actually a two-part trigger, Greu, then the other must be talked to in order for it to be considered a 'real' quest maybe? Still kind of odd, but this game does have its little quirks.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:56 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next