The Effect of a Few Minor NPCs Deaths
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Boeman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Effect of a Few Minor NPCs Deaths

As a newcomer to the Gothic franchise, I took a great deal of time within the first few hours of play in the original Gothic to explore the vast wilderness just outside of the Old Camp and stumbled upon two orcs who promptly gave chase. As a level 1 character, I made no hesitation in my decision to flee back to the Old Camp.

However, upon passing the gate the orcs were still in persuit. The guards seemingly did nothing as I passed them. When I was finally able to lose the two orcs, I backtracked and found them making short work of the gate guards. Oddly enough, one of the guards was actually firing his bow at me.

Never one to lose my entrepenural spirit, I used the opportunity to loot the fallen guards and in doing so, attracted the attention of the two orcs once again. This time I ran towards the arena; passing the arena fighters who were sitting by a campfire oblivious to what was happening. As I reached the top of the area there were several spectators arranged in a circular pattern. As I quickly mixed in with them, both orcs immediately set upon the crowd. The diggers and shadows wasted no time in making themselves scarce but this proved to be a futile endeavor as they were all cut down. It seemed only the crossbow wielders had any interest in actively pacifying the situation. One of the guards finally manage to dispatch one of the Orcs as the other continue to chase a few other diggers who were making their way down to the arena entrance. After relieving some of the dead of their possessions, I decided to investigate the arena bottom and found the second laying dead at the feet of the Arena administrator.

Taking a quick body count, it seems the orcs took a number of minor NPCs with them along with several diggers. Off the top of my head, I recall the fallen to have included 6 diggers, 4 shadows, one crossbow wielding guard, Guy, MUD (Thank the heavens! He would never shut up!) and two arena fighters; the dark skinned individual (supposedly to have been the toughest one) and the sect fighter.

With all the loot I acquired I was surely laughing all the way to the bank. However, I am curious if I may have jeopardized any quests or sub-quests as a result of my introducing the good citizens of the Old Camp to the two marauding orcs. If so, then I’ll certainly have to restore my game.

Please no spoilers, just tell me if the above NPC deaths have any appreciable impact upon the story and quest system. Thanks.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:25 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Nope no importan one as i see it.
On the bright side they got Mud
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:13 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

He killed Karim? (the dark skinned one) personally i would back-track, it wont take long, better now than sorry later.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:39 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Well, Karim is only in a side-quest, so I wouldn't backtrack. However, if you have trouble with orcs in the future, I would suggest leading them into the castle. At the castle entrance are Diego and Thorus, who are both invincible, and the guards in the castle are all pretty tough.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:04 pm