FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Can anyone say boring?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Can anyone say boring?

There is just way too much boring text to read in this game. Are you required to talk to all these people in order to finish Morrowind? Ive been playing for about two hours and Im board out of my mind. They could of atleast made the reading interesting. Id like to note that I do enjoy to read. Infact I just finished The Stand(1200 pages) a week ago. So to say I dont enjoy reading is an understatment. But in order for me to enjoy it, it must be interesting and Morrowind is not. Anyways, back to my question, can I ignore all these robots and progress or am I required to speak to the dead in order to get anywhere in Morrowind? Thanks for any information.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 8:43 pm

SlitherSly

Two hours of gameplay is nothing, just give the game chance and the story will grow on you. I admit it was a bit tedious at the beginning but after that it's pure advneturing fun and I do read what the NPC's tell me and actually read some of the books I find which can be interesting. So put more time in and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the game, if you're willing.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 9:09 pm

Kaos503
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No, you don't have to talk to everyone, or read many books. Only ask questions that you want answers to, most people will same exactly the same. And you don't need to read every book, you don't really gain much from most. If you speak to some people though, they will give you missions, but they don't need completeing. Get to Caius Cosades first, his jobs are more important to the mission.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 9:10 pm
The_Elder_One
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

your right

I agree that there is far too much text to comprehend or care about. My character is a dumb warrior and he just does what he is told, and doesn't try to read too much into the "who hates who and all the little sub-plots"
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:13 pm
Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Can anyone say boring?

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
There is just way too much boring text to read in this game. Are you required to talk to all these people in order to finish Morrowind? Ive been playing for about two hours and Im board out of my mind. They could of atleast made the reading interesting. Id like to note that I do enjoy to read. Infact I just finished The Stand(1200 pages) a week ago. So to say I dont enjoy reading is an understatment. But in order for me to enjoy it, it must be interesting and Morrowind is not. Anyways, back to my question, can I ignore all these robots and progress or am I required to speak to the dead in order to get anywhere in Morrowind? Thanks for any information.

Start by letting yourself go. This is an RPG: Roleplaying Game. Do some Roleplaying. Does your character like to read a lot? No? Don't look at any books. Or is he a bookworm that enjoys gathering information? Reads everything he can get his hands on? Read everything!

The point is that you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You don't have to complete every quest you run into. There are several quests I will probably never do because it requires me to be a nice guy: my Thief wouldn't have it! You don't even need to do the main quest if you don't want to. It's that open for you.

Just relax and play. Play and immerse yourself in the world that Bethsoft created for you. It's big and it's bad and it's sitting there, 90% of it undiscovered. Go see what you can find!

Oh man, I sound like a car salesman.

Zaal
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:28 pm
SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's the cool thing about Morrowind, you don't feel stressed out as if everything was a life and death situation (i.e. Dungeon Siege, First Person Shooters, or a stroke inducing match of Starcraft). Everything seems relaxed and I like that.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 11:00 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Err, well, if you don't do the quests, how can you advance in the game and finish it? I can't see just wandering around aimlessly being very constructive. And given that I can't even do the quests I'm given (WAY too much walking around looking for specific people) I'm starting to get a little edgy.

Lots of fun to cruise around and kill stuff, and collect things, but at some point there has to BE a point, doesn't there? Otherwise I'll just feel like I'm playing a slo-mo DS.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 2:19 am
coil
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: your right

quote:
Originally posted by The_Elder_One
My character is a dumb warrior and he just does what he is told, and doesn't try to read too much into the "who hates who and all the little sub-plots

erm...you do know that the charcter is YOU dont you!!
its a role playing game...its your choice
Post Mon May 13, 2002 2:38 am

Ok, im gonna try to continue playing it. I hope it gets better as I progress. I just wish the npcs would get to the point on what they have to say. Theres just way to much bla blaing. Anyways, thanks for the insight guys.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:35 am

Wabbit

Look, if you can't even deal with reading a paragraph of directions on where to go, and a sentence describing an object to get, or to walk through a town and ask a few people where the services are, I honestly have to say this game is probably not for you. Maybe you should get Serious Sam.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:32 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

No offense, but most people who consider dialogue/text 'bla bla' end up playing DS/D2, not MW. Make sure you are playing the game YOU like, not the game WE like.

And yes, I find most text interesting, and have found some excellent pieces of text laying in some library.

Cheers
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:44 am
Wabbit

Hey, speaking of which, what are the best books you've read in the game?

I got around to reading the 4 volume history of the empire, very helpful. I noticed that the bookseller in Vivec has all 4 volumes of "Dance Into The Fire" which I will have to get sometime. I think the weirdest books I've read were two that are laying on a table in the Mage Guild in Ald-Ruhn - one of them is called "Where were you when the dragon broke" - WTF?!?!? If anyone has read those books tell me if they made any sense to you.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:13 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

You dont need to talk to many, as long as you can figure out who to talk to to get the info you'd like. Finding the Fighters Guild is extremely easy and do not require much talking, and as long as you get your first quest "deliver package" you only need to talk to the one you are delivering it too, and then continue talking to the NPC's he tells you to speak to.
Books are just for fun. Read them if you like, skip them if you like. You wont find anything interesting in books, as long as it isnt an obvious quest-book.
This is not Baldurs Gate... You can skip 95% of the text and still finish the game.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:25 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

books...

there is an amazing amount of text in this game... you can enjoy it if you want to...or not. you'll live either way. I don't read everything I see but some of the books are pretty interesting.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:29 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I dont know why excess features is a bad thing.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon May 13, 2002 10:39 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next