Oblivion blew up my computer!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Craftylegs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oblivion blew up my computer!

Actually it's not quite that bad, but after playing 12 hours on highest settings the game froze and i had to hit the reset button.
Now it gets no further than a quick glimpse of the desktop or bluscreen before it reboots again. Sometimes freezes on bluescreen message "system shut down to prevent damage"
Can only logon command prompt/safe mode.
Tried to repair from cd but no change.
I just bought this machine recently and have been playing roller coaster tycoon 3 and i think it froze once as well after long play. Also I've had a couple of memory read error messages since I bought it. The ram was upgraded from 1gb to 2gb during purchase and had to be put in in 4 x 512mb sticks because the bios would'nt see 2 x 1gb.
Maybe the ram got too hot? I wish I new! Maybe I have to reinstall windows?
If anyone has any ideas of what I should do I would be greatfull because I was really enjoying Oblivion while it lasted, thanks!

Specs are:
WindowsXP Pro
AMD ATHLON 3800 dual core cpu
2gb ram (4x512mb)
ASUS EN7800GTX (256mb) graphics card
200gb HDD
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Sounds like heat issues to me. Make sure the air vents are clear and the case is properly closed (if the case is "cracked open", it disrupts the forced air flow).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:12 pm
Craftylegs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Still does it after starting from cold so i think while initially heat could have caused the problem i think somethings just screwed up as a result now and thats why it won't load. I'll check the case though because I'm not sure if it has sufficient cooling. Didn't notice much hot air coming out while playing though but maybe that's the problem. I might try 1 stick of 512 ram at a time to see if i can isolate a bad stick of ram.
Thanks for the reply!
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:55 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The other possibility is a virus or some malware that has damaged your Windows installation. Check the Microsoft knowledge base and see if anything looks similar.
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Craftylegs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for that link, some do look familiar. I'll have a more detailed look at those when I get a chance.
Cheers!
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:08 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, from you description it really seems as some kind of hardware issue initially caused by too much heat.

In case in it is your new computer, I wouldn't bother with testing RAM sticks or whatever. Just take it into your car and let your shop take care of it.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:28 am
Craftylegs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks I'm looking into the memory issue. Like I say I had a prob where the folks I bought it from couldn't get the bios to recognize 2 1gb sticks so they had to put 4 x 512 in it and the bios sees it. I've been on AsRock website (my board is 939SLI32-eSATA2) and the only thing I could see similar to that was an issue of getting the bios to see more than 3.5gb (something to do with memory hole (which is disabled in my bios) and having Windows 64bit XP pro) I will probably send them a tech question about the 2 sticks of 1 gb issue as I can't see why it didn't work.

The PSU is CTX 400w maybe not the best I need to look at that.

I couldn't get into safe mode only safe/command prompt and then that wouldn't work at one point. I keep getting bsod before automatic reboot and sometimes freeze on bsod STOP message.

I reason with my puny humanoid mind that if windows is reinstalled it will work ok but maybe go wrong again at some point if there is hardware probs

At this moment I am looking long and hard at replacing the PSU and the RAM preferably with 2 sticks of 1 gb if that can work ok. I'm not too sure about heat probs because I didn't notice more than warm air at the most venting from the case during gameplay and that was mostly really only from the PSU fan. Also I've had a memory read error message while hitting a link on Firefox and that was after being on the computer for only minutes. I'm still concerned about appropriate cooling and It may well have played a part so I'm giving cooling improvements serious thought.

Thanks for all the responses! I will get some more help from a friend in a day or two but I'm trying to narrow things down a bit before then. Then hopefully soon I can get back to picking the jewellry cases in Red Diamond Jewellry store
Thanks again!
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:17 pm