Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is the coolest thing you have ever seen?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

What is the coolest thing you have ever seen?

The coolest thing I have ever seen was when I saw a tornado pick up a telephone pole and smash it through a house. Definately humbling to see Mother Nature going ballistic.

How about you guys? Any memorable visuals from the game of life? It can be anything, a football game, a sunset, whatever you've seen in your life that just totally blew you away.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 11:43 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: What is the coolest thing you have ever seen?

Hmm...i never see cool things happen....
I am always away (Or something like that) when those things happen......
Pfff......the coolest thing i ever saw was a little paper fire on the streets.....
Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:42 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

One of the coolest things i remember was seeing Warcraft 1 in action (on Windows 3.11). Of course i am still a computer gaming noob in 1993 and any 2D pixeled sprites would make my jaw drop...
Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:13 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

For real life it has to be watching my grandchildren being born. I was too busy to really enjoy my children's births, but I was there for all the grands, and I was in awe at each one. The first breath and little cry brings tears to your eyes.
Mark Twain
Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:19 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

When I was 10, I saw something that wasn't exactly cool, but it was awe-inspiring (much like the tornado in the original post). At that time, October, 1973, I lived in Chelsea, Massachusetts. One section of the city was filled with old wooden tenements and old textile factories. A fire started in or near one of the factories. It was a very windy day. The wind whipped the fire into a raging inferno.

By the end of the day (the fire started in the morning) more than 17 consecutive city blocks were on fire. The flames soared to more than 100 feet high. I remember walking down to the fire area with some friends and seeing a wall of fire the obscured everything beyond it. Flaming cinders whipped past our heads, and we had to get away from the area because it wasn't safe. This was truly frightening because it was in a city, not a forest. Two thousand fire fighters came from as far away as Maine, New York and New Hampshire to help fight the fire.

By the time fire fighters extinguished the blaze seven days later, more than 1/5 of the city had burned to the ground (Chelsea is a small city, only 1.8 square miles, but with a population of nearly 40,000). I did not live in the area that burned. Fire fighters made a last stand against the fire next to the Tobin Bridge. The Tobin Bridge is a large, green, steel bridge that bisects Chelsea and allows traffic to cross the Mystic River to get into Boston. I remember the fire fighters telling us that if the fire got past the bridge, the entire city would burn to the ground. Fortunately, the winds died down and the fire fighters held the blaze at the bridge. The next day, the National Guard declared martial law in the burning area. Published reports said the smoke was visible from more than 50 miles away.

At the time, I was only 10 years old, so I thought all fires were cool. Chelsea had a serious arson problem in the 1970s, so I saw dozens of building fires when I lived there.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 5:20 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Coolest and terrifying was watching the huge miles-long wall of flame creeping over the mountains, towards my little town on the outskirts of east San Diego during that last huge firestorm
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:04 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I remember when you posted about that xSamhainx. The pictures were scary enough for me.
Mark Twain
Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:27 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The coolest thing I have seen is a piece of low noise amplifier designed for space telescope frozen to 13 degrees calvin.

Literally, that's the coolest thing I have ever seen.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:19 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Clearly, the birth of my oldest tops the charts. Since the twins came via C-section, I was a bit distracted with the technical aspects of the procedure and there's just not the buildup when you're holding kids in less than an hour. When Monica was born, I didn't realize that the crowning occurs toward the back of the head, rather than right on top. As her head just started to appear, my mind extended the curvature I was seeing out from the top of an imaginary head. I remember thinking "Her head's only going to be the size of a baseball." Fortunately, her head came out before I opened my mouth.

On the down side of cool, I was living about 45 minutes from Oklahoma City when the Federal Building was bombed. Driving past the rubble a few weeks later was painful. A co-worker's wife was supposed to be at the Social Security office that morning. On a whim, she decided to do another errand (taking a makeup test at a nearby community college) first that morning. Saved her life. Made my driving past the rubble seem a bit more personal. It was unusual to find myself living about 45 minutes from the Federal Prison in Indiana when they snuffed McVeigh years later.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:52 am
kazuma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well what i saw was not much but i dropt on my ass loughing .
about two years back when i was in amsterdam i was walking the street with a friend and we saw a man riding on a bicycle with a cat yes a cat not a parrot a cat and a big fat one, sitting on the guys shoulder that was really somthing wierd
Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:08 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

My very first home run was pretty cool. For some reason I can't really think of anything else but I'm sure I've seen far cooler things...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri May 28, 2004 6:52 am
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

When I was in college I saw a complete three dimensional hologram. I DO MEAN COMPLETELY 3D, the type of thing you see on Star Trek. It was just of a small screw but it was perfect. I got close to it, walked around it, and looked at it intensely from all angles. When I tried to touch it, it wasn't solid. If I had not seen it myself; I would not believe it.

Last edited by Darrius Cole on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:38 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

http://www.tiptotail.ch/Bern/doc/images/video_posterklein.jpg

That whole video was unimaginably cool.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon May 31, 2004 10:25 pm
VPeric
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

One of the 'coolest' things I've seen is the aftermath of the NATO bombins here. There were a few buildings that weren't improtant enough to be renovated right away, and there was literally a building with a huge chunk of it gone. It was terrifying, and yet 'cool'. Not to mention the soldiers patroling around it
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:01 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Dunno if it's the coolest thing I've seen but yesterday, I was driving down the road and saw a little car coming towards me hit a bird. I have hit birds before in my truck, but I've never SEEN anyone else hit them. The bird did a big loop over the top of the car and then started flopping around in the street... I kind of felt sorry for it, but then I thought "You saw the car coming and flew right in front of it....idiot!".

Made my day, anyway.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:33 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next