NWN - DLA on Boycotting NWN 2 @ NWN 2 Warcry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NWN - DLA on Boycotting NWN 2 @ NWN 2 Warcry

<a href="http://nwn2.warcry.com">NWN 2 Warcry is carrying the latest information about the recent cancellation of NWN premium mods. Many people in various and sundry places around the internet have echoed this poster's sentiments:
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>I know I will be doing my (admittedly small) part by not purchasing ANY Atari supported products.
<br>
<br> Yes, I know this also hurts NWN2 and Obsidian (well, my rather small self won't, but perhaps if enough follow my lead, it will). I think Obsidian is big enough to survive such.</blockquote></em>
<br>
<br>Steel_Wind, leader of DLA, has posted the following on <a href="http://www.dladventures.net/vB/showthread.php?p=21642#post21642">their forums</a> and it bears repeating here:
<br>
<br><blockquote>Please. Let's not do this.
<br>
<br>Buy the game if you want to buy the game. I know I will (seeing as I somehow now doubt that Atari or even OE will be sending DLA a free copy).
<br>
<br>I spent four years doing this. And while there are a whole complex layered number of reasons as to how and why and motives and assumptions as to why I got involved in all of this...
<br>
<br>There's no way I would ever have done any of it without loving this damn game, what it was about and what it could become - or loving being a part of this community too.
<br>
<br>And the rest of the folks at DLA think the same way. Their motives, hopes, dreams and talents may differ - but that golden thread runs through each and every one of the people in DLA. They love the game and the community that has grown around it and that they are very much a part of.
<br>
<br>We tried to make the game better and the community better and give you great toys to play with and - we hope - a great adventure you'll enjoy playing. We are not going to bail or walk away in a snit without delivering on that.
<br>
<br>No way in hell will we let that happen.
<br>
<br>But I would hate to have someone point at DLA as a rallying cry to wreck this community or somehow diminish it. Even in a small way.
<br>
<br>Don't do that. Please. Not in our name. That would be a sad way to repay something which has been such a large part of our lives.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Post Tue May 30, 2006 2:50 am

I think people should boycott all Atari games which wouldn't really effect NWN at all but might either force Atari to change there policy or make developers abandon Atari.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 3:00 am

Father Omally

All things come to an end so they can return better

Steel_Wind is a good and grateful Lad.I can do no more but support his decision.Lets just hope he will be allowed to bring as much joy to Neverwinter Nights 2 otherwise it will be Atari's loss not the Community.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 4:37 am

Guzzler

I`ve already been boycotting Atari for a couple of years due to general poor quality of games, support and information. And there`s the fact that they never responded to the mails I sent to their customer support. They don`t seem to have good sense anymore, and I would not be surprised to see them disappear before long.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 11:35 am

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Christ the damn game is four years old. Time to release the new one. Get over it already! The PC desperately needs more RPG's, especially ones with a good single player campaign. This is the wrong game to be boycotting.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 12:12 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So people are going to boycott NWN2?

This is probably the last AAA title, real RPG you'll see on the PC and people are going to boycott it?

Hate to be blunt, but that is purdy dumb.

And before you say Dragon Age - ask yourself - what are the chances it WONT be a dual release 360 title before long? I'd say 0%, give or take 0%. Which of course means design compromised. Bank on it!
Post Tue May 30, 2006 12:46 pm
Father Omally

They must be working for the other side

Some people expect things to last forever. Talk about being spoiled and blinded by the mod addon mentality.I guess I can add spiteful loyalty and commonsense as a few more reasons to buy one of the last true rpgs around.Take that you boycotters of the wrong things! Saints preserve us talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water! Or has it suddenly started raining babies from the almighty heavens?
Post Tue May 30, 2006 1:19 pm

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
So people are going to boycott NWN2?

This is probably the last AAA title, real RPG you'll see on the PC and people are going to boycott it?

Hate to be blunt, but that is purdy dumb.

And before you say Dragon Age - ask yourself - what are the chances it WONT be a dual release 360 title before long? I'd say 0%, give or take 0%. Which of course means design compromised. Bank on it!

I agree wholeheartedly. Especially about Dragon Age. Bioware is just focusing on XBox 360 games right now. Boycotting what might be the best PC RPG in three or four years is just retarded. Why not boycott Atari's other D&D spinoff crap like "Dragonshard", "Stormreach", or "D&D Heroes"?
Post Tue May 30, 2006 1:21 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I am no particular fangurl of the DLA folks. Heck, before this, I noticed their signatures under their forum names but that's about it. I am discouraged by Atari in general and with their treatment of DLA, or any other community group, specifically. What I -am- glad to see is that at least the DLA people are trying to mitigate the 'martyr' syndrome that they could easily exploit by telling people not to boycott NWN 2. I don't know why that's the first reaction to every snippet of doom and gloom that comes down the pipe.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 5:20 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Atari may be guilty of many things - but how can anyone realistically claim NWN didnt get enough attention? If we were talking Temple of Elemental Evil, well that would be another matter.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 5:33 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz
other D&D spinoff crap like "Dragonshard"...

Easy there big fella, DS is a good RTS game!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, we have to boycott something. I say we boycott fan made modules. That will show those fatcat bastards at atari we mean business.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 11:07 pm
Lucky Day

kudos for Steel_Wind for his response. Him, Lisa and other DLA folk are darned upset after have three years worth of work thrown out the door.

But he's smart enough not to support any silly boycott. The fact of the matter is all those passionate supporters would end up buyign the game anyway.

Kalia is right too. The DLA team hasn't hardly released anything that was promised for all the hype they've had.

They promised the dozen or so Dragonlance modules and no go. CODI, the Spellman project and others went into Vapour. The CTP will be too little too late. Its a shock that PrC 3.0 was released. I'd be surprised to see CEP 2.0. Their 1.66 update took weeks after four patch betas were ignored by them.

And lets face it, nobody was getting paid for any of that. A lot of content was released such as the Sigil tileset.

But we'll Wizard's Crown for free in six weeks. I'm looking forward to that.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 12:56 am