Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
So, What keeps the Gothics' from enjoying .....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
puppet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

So, What keeps the Gothics' from enjoying .....

... the same input from a modding/plug-in community ala Morrowind?
Personally, I enjoy both games. I'll admit to enjoying the gothics' more though.
I think what makes Morrowind what "it" is are the efforts of the modding community. The ability to add-in a quest or two.
However, IMO what makes the gothics' great are the lack of the gazillion items (melee/armor and what have you) Morrowind sports. I tend to think that all this "stuff" eventually changes a players' focus in the game from just seaching for better "stuff" (and becoming a freakin' pack rat ) to concentrating a bit more on the NPCs' and the world around you. The gothics' voice acting is a huge plus in this regard also.

Is the problem the way the game is programmed?
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:12 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The problem is that Morrowind is programmed from the ground up to be modular and accept user mods, and also comes with a full set of very comprehensive and easy to use tools.

The Gothics either had no tools, or very difficult ones, and neither is designed from the ground up to be mod friendly.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:39 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think its so much the way the game is programmed as it is the way the tools they use to *create* the game are programmed.

It is a major effort to transform in-house development tools into elegant, user-freindly packages like the Morrowind construction set. You'd have to spend time documenting things, paramaterizing things that may have been hardcoded, etc..

Who knows what kind of assumptions or esoteric things the developers have in the tools that only THEY could make sense of. It's even possible that the editors are unstable and you need to employ certain workarounds to pull things off. Of course, I'm not saying that there aren't any savvy modders out there (with programming expereince) who could figure things out. Hell, I would love to have a crack at their tools.

Be aware however, that Pirhanna Bytes is not as large a shop as Bethesda (or Bioware) and instead of using their resources to package their editors into a user-digestable form, they more likely focusing on new prodcut development.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:47 pm
puppet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Severance community was faced with similar problems. No real editor was available to the modders ... at least none in english ... and from what I understand the Spanish version wasn't so user friendly.
I remember it took one fella .... "josh" ... to get the ball rolling for Severance though. A true labor of love for him I'm sure. Something that you can't expect people to do without some input/help from PB. I can't think of a better way for PB to really deeply root their platform/style/genre though. ... hope that someday they'll provide such a tool for us "fan"atics.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:28 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

There are no "real" modding tools for big hits like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 out either, the ones which are used mostly are made by community members. Although, yes, the game mechanics itself should be flexible enough to allow such thing.

I hope that in Gothic 3, the PB will look this thing over. Modding of game is what will keep the interest regarding the game. Baldur's Gate games are now old, but still very highly loved and played alot, all due to changes through mods, big and small. This always refreshes the game for people.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:12 am