Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Easy ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Try adventuring inside the boundaries of the GhostFence (or whatever it's called; I don't remember)
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:25 pm

Pookie Muffin

A wonderful game, but it wasn't balanced at all. I'm level 12 without any powerleveling whatsoever, and I'm mowing through the game like whirling dervish. I'm sorry, but a Daedra Lord should be able to beat the snot out of me, but instead they drop within seconds.

Lame.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 12:13 am

The problem

The problem may have more to do with the simplistic combat system rather than the difficulty of the npc's. Bethesda hasn't changed their way of doing combat since their very first games. I think that they put too much stock in the notion that role players are uncoordinated geeks and turned off by anything requireing reflexes. I think that a touch of twitch skills in combat is a good thing and keeps it exciting. And I'm not a young, coordinated person. The balance between reflex and stats that gothic had seems to be just about right to me.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 1:31 am

It may be a simplistic combat system, but the true problem here is that nothing other than the "endgame" is designed for characters over level 20. It's just not in the game, look in the editor.

Now if you venture off into the unknown, without powergamming, forcing skill levels etc, you will climb to levels far past 20. Aside from one or two dungeons on the entire island, only 4 or 5 will present a challenge to anyone above level 12. Doing one guild's quests will get your character above 20, with items and equipment that will give your character about 5 times the power of anything that could challenge you in the game.

I noticed in Regilus' review he says this is lvl 40? Nope, you are twice the level 95% of the game is balanced for, this means lockpicking, speachcraft, all skills and disciplines. The only real way to force the game to remain balanced is not to level past 20 until you are nearly finished with the game, which is impossible if you explore that game more than a tiny bit.

The developers of Morrowind have created a wonderful world and have put more into this game than most RPG's ever event attempt to. In the end though, they didn't have time to do the most basic of RPG balancing, and the mod community will be forced to pick up that slack.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 1:45 am

Now why does it have to be so bloody balanced? I like the fact that my level 50 something melee guy tears through the monsters like there's no tomorrow if you are powerful you are supposed to feel powerful not just level up synchroniously with the rest of the world, then how oyuld you explain how people could actually survive in this world if there were uber monsters everywhere you went woudln't everyone and his mother be uber at fighting?

Try doing the same in fallout or fo2 special mainly in combat and at lvl 10 or so you will be able to kill your way through the whole game. And some games just decide to take all the prestge out of being powerful or good at anything by letting most of the world just ramp up in difficulty/level and power at the same rate or faster than you do so infact you actually become less powerful as you advance :\

The point mainly is that we focus too much on fighting and stat building, a shame you can't make your own clothes and stuff ingame with your tailor skill or something hehe.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 12:02 pm

gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If I am level 50, maybe, but at levels 8-10, comon....
Especially since the game shouts explore me, but doing so, you soon are more powerfull than the most of Morrowind's baddest arsenal.
I think the game's so huge, they playtested just chunks at a time, never the whole game at once and more certainly not, doing all there is to do.
This resulted in the world we have now, where characters level like crazy while the world isn't up to it.
It is like playing Baldur's Gate II and finishing it, then play the expansion
with your now beefy party, but the expansion has the same difficulty as the original. If you get my drift.
The thing is, I am still loving the game, that's why it's so sad there's such a huge thing not right with the game.
The best thing to do would be releasing a patch that incorperates difficulty setting: a) easy (current state), b) moderate, monsters and such are harder, no experience tweakings and c) hard, with even harder monsters and much reduced leveling.

That would make a classic out of a great game.

My 2c
Post Fri May 17, 2002 6:01 pm
Sage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am level 21 and the game isn't to easy for me. I died just last night in a shrine in vivec.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 7:52 pm

Re: patch

I sure hope this fucking thing works bitch. Blahahahaha!!!!1
Post Fri May 17, 2002 8:43 pm

bman

hmmm

Hmm well I am level 8 and I get killed fairly easily... I'm a custom class however. Specializing in conjuration/illusion wearing medium bonemold armor. I guess if I were a pure fighter I would kill things easier? It does seem like magical enemies should pose more of a threat to straight fighter types.. hmm...
Post Fri May 17, 2002 9:12 pm

Interzone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have to say I agree.

I'm a level 14 Agent. I only wear light armor and use short blades (though I did find a nice demon tanto that gives me a powerful bound dagger). I've just let my skills develop naturally as I'm playing. Pretty much nothing has been able to stand in my way since about level 7 or so. The first time I saw a flame atrontach, I was pretty scared, and indeed, he slaughered me. Last night, I waltzed into a daedra shrine, killed every cultist in there and wailed on the big daedra dude who came after me when I stole his emerald.

Keep in mind this is a rogue-ish character. My strength is about 60 or so... my highest attribute is my 93 personality. Definitely not a "fighter" character. But nothing is a challenge, esp. with all the magic items I've collected along the way.

That isn't to say it's not fun. I'm utterly addicted to Morrowind. But I don't have that sense of "HOLY CRAP I JUST KILLED THAT!#%!#%" when I kill a fairly powerful monster anymore. I think I might have to go find a difficulty mod and install it... and get rid of those damned cliff racers.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 12:05 am
utegran

Yup, it's amazing they screwed up something so simple. I think I'll wait and see if they patch it. I worry about the user mods.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 12:53 am

gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: I have to say I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone

That isn't to say it's not fun. I'm utterly addicted to Morrowind. But I don't have that sense of "HOLY CRAP I JUST KILLED THAT!#%!#%" when I kill a fairly powerful monster anymore. I think I might have to go find a difficulty mod and install it... and get rid of those damned cliff racers.

Just my thoughts... I want to and should get scared walking into a tomb or shrine. Instead I just enter thinking, ah kill a few skellies, atronachs, maybe a dremora or two, loot the place and then it's time for a coffee.
No tension at all

I even have an inventory full of 'buffs', that I don't use because what's the use making it even more easy. But then that defies collecting all the stuff, or being excited about that cool new weapon, or armor, cause as it is, no-one can defeat me anyway....
Post Sat May 18, 2002 6:49 am

yeah a difficulty slider or something could be nice, and maybe limit savegames some too, cause as it is now you can save for every step you take in a different slot thus never really taking any risk at all, you can just reload the second before you saved..

Then it would be slightly more exciting stealing things aswell, as it is now I jsut quicksave before I try to steal, then quickload if I fail, so the skill isn't really useful it just acts as a timedelay
Post Sat May 18, 2002 4:05 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'm more interested in reading the story and substories than I am at slaughtering big bad monsters. They get in my way and I take them down. Good. They were interupting my reading and exploring.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat May 18, 2002 4:14 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2