Macrovision Piracy Study @ GameSpy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Macrovision Piracy Study @ GameSpy

GameSpy is covering a study on piracy conducted by Macrovision:<blockquote><em>The survey shows that 21 percent of gamers use pirated software, but 73 percent of those would have paid for the games if free versions weren't available. <br> <br>Also shown was 43 percent of all that played pirated software download more than 15 titles a year. More than 74 percent of the downloaded games come from Internet sites or peer-to-peer programs, while 21 percent are copies made from friends. 64 percent of those who play copied games have mod chips installed in their consoles.</em></blockquote>Read about it <a href="http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/595/595849p1.html" target="_blank">here</a>. Of course, it's worth noting that Macrovision is an anti-piracy vendor.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That is why gaming companies are folding. I dont understand why people cant pay for the games and sell them when they are done. I play my games and then sell them for 50-70% of my money back. This allows me to buy more games and enjoy them. Im a programmer and I know what kind of hard work does into creating software and its sad to see so many people that don't want to pay for the game.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:55 pm

quote:
I dont understand why people cant pay for the games and sell them when they are done. I play my games and then sell them for 50-70% of my money back.

In what country are you able to do this?

I live in a country where there is no used market for any goods, especially video games.

Please give another compelling reason for not using peer to peer file sharing.
One a little less ethnocentric.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:56 am

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

In what country are you able to do this?

I live in a country where there is no used market for any goods, especially video games.

Please give another compelling reason for not using peer to peer file sharing.
One a little less ethnocentric.

You obviously don't know the meaning of "ethnocentric," but besides that, what imaginary country do you live in where "there is no used market for any goods"?
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:47 am

Kasper

Well, even if you can't afford to buy many games that doesn't give you any right to download them. I can't afford a nice car - but I don't go out stealing one...

- Kasper
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:14 pm

deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can sell stuff on Amazon.com, Ebay.com, Half.com, and various other sites. Stealing games is wrong and if it keeps up we wont have any games to play because all the good game makers will fold.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:06 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by deiland
I play my games and then sell them for 50-70% of my money back.

Ever thought about the fact that a privately sold game is one sold copy less for the developer?
For the company, it is just like warez, because they don't get any money, although more than one person uses the copy. But I absolutely understand the better morale here, and that's why I wouldn't want to stop private individual selling their games. I also understand why Valve invented STEAM and restricted people selling their HL2-licence ...

Strange situation, that is.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:50 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

And what about people who play pirated because publishers just forgot their country and every online shore had it sold out?
That's the only reason I have a pirated game on my computer. The fabulous Gothic no less If there was one game deserving it's full price it'sa Gothic and i could only get it illegal I´ll buy Gothic2 a second time to compensate, really!
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:42 pm

Meaning

quote:
You obviously don't know the meaning of "ethnocentric,"

adj : centered on a specific ethnic group, usually one's own

The original poster assumed that because he sells his games back with ease, everyone can. This assumption is based on the notion that the society he lives in is identical to, or the model for, the rest of the world. Ethnocentricity has many forms. One of the most prevalant is creating a fallacious argument based on strictly personal experiences. Ethnocentric is the correct term.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:21 am

Many people would buy a liscense to download games if it was more readily availably across all titles.

I downloaded half-life 2 via steam, I would have bought the box but they offered more in the download version. So really if download games are to sell they should either be slightly cheaper or come with bonuses.

Point is though, downloading using peer to peer networks or the such is very unreliable and often impossible, so many including myself would pay to know both that the developer is getting money, and to ensure maximum download speed constantly with relatively no wait. Downloading is often more convenient than going out to a shop and buying so if they really tap into that market then they can cut piracy considerably, even if it will not come close to eliminating it.

Also if there are disribution problems and a certain country cannot get a legit copy from their stores they can always download from a legit site if its available.

Still, I feel I'd like download games to be cheaper than I typically see them (which I admit is not much)
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:56 pm