42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Thread
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

Earth and Beyond

Before the MMORPG "Earth and Beyond" hit the shelves, me and my brother Dan were Beta testing the game. It dawned on me that an RPG doesn't have to be in a midevil setting, Science Fiction works just as good. At first i was amazed that it wasn't another "Star Trek" wanna-be. The character customization was also very nice. you could decide height, weight, skin color, eye color, hair color/style, glasses or no glasses, style and color of clothing, "gloss" of clothing, and so on and so forth. customizing the ships went just as far. I found this to be a very exiting game from the start. even running around the space stantions was fun. Combat was another stage that i thought was pulled off nicely.

i have heard that it was tinkered with a bit after the testing was over and i wanted to hear what kind of new things were thrown into the mix.

That and i was wondering what the forum goers of RPGDot thought of the game. you heard my views.

Broken in Exile
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:17 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, I wrote a review of it back in October last year. By now it must have changed a whole lot. But back then I wasn't impressed. Not even impressed enough to even feel like trying it again now. i didn't think it was a bad game, it was just very lacking.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:06 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

I periodically get 7 day free pieces to play it because I bought the game when it first came out. And my gaming magazines send me free 7 day subs to MMOs occasionally... so when I get one of those, I play it. But personally It isn't worth the constant fee. Not enough music (my personal favorite) and everything was dull. The thing I liked best was the ability to get on and off your ship, I LOVED that so much! I just wish there was more off-ship content, then I would be happier, and better music... ugh... and faster leveling. Took me seconds to get explore to around 20... but then it was impossible. Combat EXP took forever, longer than Everquest (DO NOT BRING THAT UP! HELP ME!!! sooo many hours... sooo boring) And trade... well... that wasn't a very good idea IMHO...

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:20 pm
Metaplayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good ol'E&B

Well basically E&B is a pretty neat MMORG. It's beautifull and got some nice atmosphere. But unfortunately it didn't reach all the way to so I quit playing in March last spring after playing since beta (mostly because I became an EVE-online early beta tester).

Personally I liked the manufacturing part best. Especially when I had the whole chain of recipies all the way from minerals -> refined minerals -> components -> the stuff u wanna build. Starting a build of a, for instance, new rare solar engine by mining an asteroid field was what I Was all about... =)

But if u compare to other online games you could easily point out the shortcomings of the game. Let me bring a few closer to the light (at the point where I left):

1. Clan/Regiment/Guild was not so well developed. You could run or join a guild but the only real difference was that u had a chat with people u met often. Of course its better than nothging, but there was no sense of purpose, no real need to cooperate in any other means than you could otherwise do by just taging along people u met at those places u wish to go hunt/explore.

2. Vending. You can of course sell your own craftsmanships, but I really would have liked some kind of vending options. For instance like EQ, where you can go afk and place your character in some kind of vending mode, leaving your items for sale and at display.

3. Houses/Buidlings. It needs careful planning of course, but I missed that feature in a MMORG. Like UQ I want to be able to have a place that I can call my own, and furthermore, it would enhance and expand the sence of guild play.

4. End Game. E&B endgame was terrible. It's understandable for a new game, but the lvl system was too fast and once you reached lvl 150 there was VERY little to do. As you were low lvl there were like 10 MoBs per person, but for the unfortunate ones that were lvl 130+ there was at best 10 people per decent MoB. The last days I spent in the game I was competing for MoBs in zones packed with people and lagg. Not so very fun.

I understand that they probably changed some of this for the better and one day, if the features meet up to my demands, I will return, cause as I said, I do miss the excitement of mining those high risk areas for prescoius minerals...

/Metaplayer[/b]
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:36 am