Usergroups
Just got Wiz 8
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the help. I have been playing with formations all week, I've been putting my ranger on the left or right side and hugging walls in open areas and putting one guy up front for fights against one powerfull monster (makes it easier to keep guarden angle up). I finaly beat the golem on the bridge last night, and my party is 9th level. I still cant beat the hogar thing in the cave on the same map, I might have to try something new. My spell skills a bit behind because at first I wasnt casting all the time, I'm slowling tring to make up for that.
LB
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:34 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You'll probably need some type of status affect to get past that hogar at this point. He's got decent resistances, so it won't be easy. "Freeze flesh", "insanity", and "hypnotic lure" come to mind. He just does too much damage to go toe-to-toe.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:19 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

HEh looking several threads down, how to kill lvl 7 hogar, the way i killed it was terror. I had two sources of terror, and i cast terror 1 twice every turn lol and picked him off slowly as he ran back and forth.

I was a few levels below you though you might not need to do something so gimicky.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:45 pm
dagem
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I almost always use insanity, so he "dances wildly" while my fighter/lord/valk hits him untill he's ko'd or paralized, then finally killed.

I usually don't fight him unless I have to.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:55 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
...my pixie mage has died 146 times....

Holy crap, it sounds like you're playing the game on Expert difficulty! I'm still experimenting with this level because I can't quite find the right team to use. It seems I'll need more than one Mage just to reach Trynton because not only do my Fighters keep missing unconscious targets but they occasionally hit each other! It's kind of funny, actually, but I always find myself running away from even the simpliest of battles.

Question to all: Has anyone ever conquered Wizardy8 on Expert from beginning to end?
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:12 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I haven't, but I know several that have. Pretty sure otter's one of them...
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:36 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Im almost done with it and Ive been expert from the beginning to now. My first time playing it also.
It was only difficult until level 8 or so.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:38 am
Arde
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Played this on normal so it might be different from your case.

I was able to beat the lvl 10 hogar with my lvl 9 party on my second try.
On my first try, the hogar murdered my samurai and monk (I unwisely went straight into melee with the beast).
BTW, my party consists of : samurai, monk, rogue, gadgeteer, priest, bishop, ranger Sparkle, and valkyrie Vi.
On my second try, I did long range attacks first: blinded, insaned, slowed the beast and pelting it with spells and missiles.
If I remember correctly, the hogar had around 333 HP and by the time it was able to recover from the status effects and went to melee with my party had about 200 HP.
Then I blinded and terrored it again, by the time it got back, it only had 90 HP left and I finally killed it on the next two rounds.
My party went unscathed and unharmed thanks to guardian angels from the priest and the bishop.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:35 am
otter
One of Us

DTE's right, i did it twice to see if i could, once with a Fighter, Bard, Priest and Alchemist, the latter three switching to Sam, Lord, and Ranger upon reaching Ferro.
The other party was Sam, Ninja, Monk.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:37 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

A sound strategy, Arde! Welcome to the boards. Hope you continue to post.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:26 pm
Arde
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks, dteowner!

Now, another question I had in mind...
Is it possible for my lvl 10 party(with 8 people) to defeat the lvl. 20 Don?
I tried it quarterway yesterday before I had to quit, but the result was not as bad as I thought it would be: didn't use superman potions and no haste to back me up- got more than half of my characters poisoned, status spells didn't work at all on him, guardian angels are livesavers(but not for long), lots of melee and ranged attacks missed (although the ones that hit-mostly from my samurai-did quite a number on him), the Don has his HP down about 50-60 points down by the time I had to go.

Now, if my party had superman potions and haste to back them up, will I have a better chance to defeat the Don?
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:38 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

An 8 person party at level 10 will have a tough fight with the Don, IMO. He is darn near immune to magic and has incredibly high stealth, which is why you miss him all the time in melee. I think my crew (6 chars) was level 13 when they did the deed. Basically, you have to be strong enough to keep your tanks alive while you chip away at the Don.

Haste will help since it will give you additional attacks per round. The more times you swing, the more chances you have for that rare hit.
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:43 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I recall the second time fighting the Don when my characters were at level 15. All my Fighters had the awesome Dread Spear...so when they finally hit the Don, he was Hexed. From there on, that dirty rat was a slightly easier target. And more than that, he was having problems making contact himself.

Though I do notice that fighing one mighty leveled creature is far easier than fighting 5 same leveled creatures that cast spells like Insane on your party before your Priest can conjure up her defenses. My response to this is to turn and RUN LIKE HELL! so that my Fighters don't slaughter my own magicians with just one strike. (Did I bring along enough Resurrection Powders? No! As usual I used up all my money to buy spell books ).
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:44 pm
Arde
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by John373
Though I do notice that fighing one mighty leveled creature is far easier than fighting 5 same leveled creatures that cast spells like Insane on your party before your Priest can conjure up her defenses. My response to this is to turn and RUN LIKE HELL! so that my Fighters don't slaughter my own magicians with just one strike. (Did I bring along enough Resurrection Powders? No! As usual I used up all my money to buy spell books ).

Amen to that! Nothing I hate than watching my beloved party cowered in fear, ran amok, stumbled blindly, and webbed.
Well, at the very least the battles don't follow the DBZ(an anime series) concept where one really strong person is much much stronger than 1000 lower level opponent and one battle can last longer than the longest fights in Wizardry 8-can't get much more realistic than that .

Furthermore, it's quite frightening when your "Cripple 'em stiff" spellcasters couldn't cast spells cause she's silenced or the enemy resisted all spells, that's when I usually try to reach(supposedly anyone can still reach for it) for that superman potion and haste scrolls and start praying hard-both the priest and me.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:34 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by otter
DTE's right, i did it twice to see if i could, once with a Fighter, Bard, Priest and Alchemist, the latter three switching to Sam, Lord, and Ranger upon reaching Ferro.
The other party was Sam, Ninja, Monk.

Aye, that's pretty good, Otter. I just conquered the game on expert level from beginning to end, but with 7 characters on my team at Ascension Peak... (okay, fine, I cheated a few times...here and there ...when I was stuck in the T'rang castle moat, for one). But really now, did you die a thousand times before finally leaving the Monestary? Or did you over stay your time in there just so you packed up enough experience before venturing out into the deadlier open ground? I ask because I recall you once mention that the Juggernauts only appear once you reach a certain level. Ever since you said that I've paid strict attention to the "types" of monsters that appear while my characters are at certain levels. And I do notice it makes some difference. Nevertheless, the "number" of monsters, whether they be brigands or weeds, still number in double digets no matter how many characters I start off with. But with only four characters, I'd think "Geez! Go easy on me now! Dare you surround or paralyze one of my team members, that's it! I'm done!"

...though I'm still experimenting, I've had to restart twice before reaching Arnika because numerous monsters where cutting off my path. And I was playing on Normal difficulty. So did you at any time play back the level to Novice just to get out of these unpassable situations?
Post Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:03 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next