View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sleeper 2002 HIT RPG: Gothic

All:

Ok, I've logged in about 20Hrs of total game time on Gothic. I am extremely taken aback by the quality of this title. I've played more hours than I can think of with NWN and Morrowind (both very good RPGs), and I can honestly say that this game has them beat. If it wasn't for NWN's D&D heritage and MP ability, it would get trounced by this title. It already beats out Morrowind in every way imaginable. I can't believe the realtime combat and action, the intriguing storyline, the numerous dialogue, the balancing items, magic, and potions. It's all there. I've just gotten into Chapter 2 and am loving every bit of the game. I'm increasingly becoming more powerful. Those Snappers are AWESOME!! I can't tell you how many times, I've tried to dispose of them, only for them to flank me from the rear and kill me! I finally got the opportunity to use the terrain to my advantage and snipe them from afar. LOL! That was even hard has sometimes, they would be able to climb up on hard to reach surfaces and kill me!

Clearly a HIT in my book and possibly the best RPG I've ever played!

One question I have though concerning the game - Even though I've joined the Old Camp - I still want to train and buy 2H weapons. Who trains with that (there seems to be noone in the Old camp)? And when will the 2H weapons become available to purchase?

Cheers,

-M
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:36 am
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh btw, I killed Bloodsoth because he was such an asshole. I hope that doesn't affect my relationship with the other guards.. I also had to kill Lefty for trying to make me feed water to the peasants, so I got rid of him and his flunky thugs and the Rice Lord (or whoever his name is). Now the peasants still work in the fields, but with no supervisors...LOL!! Love this game!!

-M
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:39 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Sleeper 2002 HIT RPG: Gothic

quote:
Originally posted by Forcus Maximus
All:

Ok, I've logged in about 20Hrs of total game time on Gothic. I am extremely taken aback by the quality of this title. I've played more hours than I can think of with NWN and Morrowind (both very good RPGs), and I can honestly say that this game has them beat. If it wasn't for NWN's D&D heritage and MP ability, it would get trounced by this title. It already beats out Morrowind in every way imaginable. I can't believe the realtime combat and action, the intriguing storyline, the numerous dialogue, the balancing items, magic, and potions. It's all there. I've just gotten into Chapter 2 and am loving every bit of the game. I'm increasingly becoming more powerful. Those Snappers are AWESOME!! I can't tell you how many times, I've tried to dispose of them, only for them to flank me from the rear and kill me! I finally got the opportunity to use the terrain to my advantage and snipe them from afar. LOL! That was even hard has sometimes, they would be able to climb up on hard to reach surfaces and kill me!

Clearly a HIT in my book and possibly the best RPG I've ever played!

One question I have though concerning the game - Even though I've joined the Old Camp - I still want to train and buy 2H weapons. Who trains with that (there seems to be noone in the Old camp)? And when will the 2H weapons become available to purchase?

Cheers,

-M

If I remember correctly, 2h weapons will be available around chapter 3 or 4
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:41 am
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for the info.

-M
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:51 am
Sk'ar
Village Leader
Village Leader

NOOOO! You can learn two-handed from Thorus at the end of Chapter 2! After you defeat the... I would say more, but this is general forum. After you deliver the eggs you can be promoted to a gaurd or fire mage. Then as long as you are a gaurd and have mastered 1-handed, you can learn 2h.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:13 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gothic does indeed rule

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:33 am
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Would there be a crime if I like certain weapons that men carry and I "take" them forcefully? hehehehe... Scar's scimitar looks incredible! Unless, I can buy that from somewhere, I may have to either steal his sword, or fight him for it...

-M
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:11 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Go ahead and beat him down for it.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:23 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

good luck but if ur paitent u can get hold of a copy (not as powerful but very good nonetheless)

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:11 pm
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by iron man likes asparagus
good luck but if ur paitent u can get hold of a copy (not as powerful but very good nonetheless)

Why is Scar very tough?

-M
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:56 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Because he's level 80 and has 400 hit points. Oh right, and as long as he's in the possession of his sword, he dishes out a lot of damage.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:25 am
Forcus Maximus
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Dang. Oh well, I won't be getting that weapon for some time...
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:04 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

shoot him with a bow from back by the doorway (not the one by gomez lol) and stand there, he'll pull out his crossbow ... rush him and hope you can beat him down before he kills you with his crossbow (you have to dodge the 2 shots before you reach him -- or maybe he just missed me) ... his crossbow is mean as hell but it's way slower than him with his sword ... he won't switch back to his sword if you jack him up like this ... i had to reload and fight him alot of times before i got this strategy to work but trying to fight him when he has his sword out won't work very well ... i did this with a rusty bastard sword and i was master with 1h weapons i think i was level 16 or 17 ... and i was very focussed in mainly str and 1h weapons ....
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:15 am
CrimsonJam
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just beat him down for it! It may take a while, but it's worth it. His sword is the best one-handed weapon in the game, and his crossbow is the best erm...crossbow in the game.
Post Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:22 am
Paladin1124
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have to agree with you there, Gothic is a better RPG than both NWN and Morrowind. Morrowind could have been close, too bad its NPCs were kind of lifeless.

I do like both NWN and Morrowind, but neither holds a candle to Gothic. Best RPG I've played since the Fallout series.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:52 pm