Quitting WoW
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Quitting WoW

Well I quit WoW 2 days ago, for various reasons. I have to say I had alot of fun playing it ( expecially on the early levels ). When I quit I was a lvl 51 Night Elf Feral Druid. I have to say though that this game is just about one single thing , every single "quest" can be summed up as "Go to _____ and kill ## of ____" And this is the entire game + pvp combat. And it is $ 20 Canadian per month ;P

Kinda boring if you are used to more complex games. What do you guys think ?

Now I am trying to figure out what to play nstead of it
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:53 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I would agree that WoW is fun. For many though it will be a transient experience. It is probably the best fantasy MMROPG available right now. But ... it isn't revolutionary. It brings nothing new to the MMROPG genre, and veteran players will rapidly lose their appreciation for it. For those that outlast the PvE experience ...it is for the thrill of player v player combat. Unfortunately for me ( and many others ) this aspect of WoW doesn't work as well as intended. In my opinion it was not designed with PvP at heart.

ps. I should add I did make lvl 60 (shaman ), but haven't even logged on in about 6 weeks. I wont be maintaining my account after this 3 month billing cycle is over.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:53 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Quitting WoW

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptor69
Well I quit WoW 2 days ago, for various reasons. I have to say I had alot of fun playing it ( expecially on the early levels ). When I quit I was a lvl 51 Night Elf Feral Druid. I have to say though that this game is just about one single thing , every single "quest" can be summed up as "Go to _____ and kill ## of ____" And this is the entire game + pvp combat. And it is $ 20 Canadian per month ;P

Kinda boring if you are used to more complex games. What do you guys think ?

Now I am trying to figure out what to play nstead of it

The go here and kill this is video gaming in a nut shell. You leave out all the instances, especially at lvl 60. I dont see what any other mmorpg has to offer over wow. Like raids, like intense group instances that require spot on teamwork and tolerate no mistakes, like solo content, like pvp, its all there. I dont see what wow is missing that other mmorpgs have.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:24 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's not missing anything when compared to the other MMORPGs, really. WoW includes it all. Guild Wars has a few cool features over WoW (no downtime at all, no travel time between towns, etc) but it's not a MMORPG.

I quit a while ago because all my friends were still playing FFXI and I didn't feel like paying for two MMO at a time right now. Plus, I was really excluded from the end game content because of time constraints. I'd wait a bit, get a party, my fiance would show up unannounced, I'd say 'leaving now', get a host of 'dude wtf' responses, and log.

FFXI needs to be scheduled because it can be so time demanding... but because I play with my friends it *is* scheduled. It's much more accessible for me than waiting around looking for a raid party or anything of the sort.

I'd been to every zone and completed pretty much every quest that was solo-friendly (and a lot that weren't) anyways. SOme say that's the tip of the iceberg for gameplay but no raid group I was ever a part of for any length of time impressed me as being a lot of fun. Plus, the community for WoW was pretty bad, overall. I couldn't go near the official forums without being tempted to post 'would you like a little cheese to go with your wine?' or 'cry more, n00b.'

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:36 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Lol. Too true, the WoW community is one of the most immature ( and complaint-driven ) I've seen. It's a good game ...and I don't deny that I had some fun with it for 2-3 months. But a veteran MMROPger will have seen/done it all before. WoW just does it that bit better than most. End-game is boring for many ....and like pretty much all MMROPGs requires a hardcore playstyle to get the most out of it. Regrettably I don't have the time, nor inclination to do that anymore.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

What do you guys think about DDO with the group only play (past lvl 5, or so is the common assumption)? I think they have some great ideas, but I also think the future of mmorpgs is going to not exlude people with high time constaints or the Asian market. I guarantee the DDO devs know this, but stuck by their guns to try and actually create what they feel is the best tabletop experience they can. That shows some gumption and, to me, proves their desire to do the game the way they feel it should be done, even if it isnt the highest revenue generating way.

But, when it comes down to it, I just dont have the time to always group. And groups dont want a guy that has to leave every 5 minutes to change a diaper, feed his kid, get yelled at by the wife, and the million other things that can happen. I like to group when I can, but a lot of times its just not feasible. And if I'm paying to play a game I would like to be able to play it more than once or twice a month. WoW let me do this till lvl 60, so I played it. DDO sounds interesting to me (no grind, no kill xp, just quest/adventure xp) and I don't want the devs to change their vision of the game for me, but it would be nice to have a game like that that is solo friendly.

But that just brings up another point, the grouping-nazi's on a lot of mmorpg forums attack people that mention solo play like the person was advocating raping children. Obviously mmorpgs should have a lot of group content, but there is nothing wrong with a little solo content for those that dont have the time to group all the time or play a game for 2 hour or more stretches.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:59 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well Cryptor, kill quests and what have you are pretty much standard in this type of game, they just are. Alot of those type of complaints I tend to find somewhat funny, you know.

Its like saying "I bought this first-person shooter and all I do is run around shooting things."

MMORPGs are about traveling around, exploring virtual worlds and new wildlife and creatures and quite frankly, killing them. The incentive for doing so can range from experience leading to new abilities, killer loot, gaining friends along the way, or just flat-out blowing off steam. There are exceptions to this like Tale in the Desert, but to me, thats just like taking out the one integral thing, combat, that makes it a challenge or really fun or worthwhile. Ive seen it said before that people are confusing being sick of a genre with being tired of a particular game, and I think that sums it up quite nicely.

I think theres a burnout of the genre sometimes, but I think some people also literally grow out of gaming, yet refuse to accept it, or dont realize it has happened. It's just like a young child playing with a toy, they think they will always like toys. Yet as time goes on, due to societal norms and the presence of the opposite sex and the onset of general adulthood, they cease physically playing with childhood toys. I dont think that norm has been established for gaming, especially as games have become more adult-oriented and complex. Thus, there are alot of people who may simply be growing up, and growing out of games, and mistaking this for disdain.

Theres a whole host of reasons and angles one can take, but if the main complaints with gaming have come to be "there isnt enough to do", or "it isnt real enough", all I have to say is this: Perhaps it's time to quit looking for things to do in a game, and focus on your real life. No game will ever have the amount of possibilities there. If it isnt real enough, or interactive enough, perhaps "real life" is what you need, the ultimate reality and interactive experience.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:26 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I love soloing in MMO. I'm always driven to the classes that can handle it. Why pay for online play? Well, mostly to group up from time to time and do things, meet people, get into a guild or equilvent, and then continue to solo... with the benefit of a chatroom.

Yes, MMO to me ultimately become places I can chat (or lurk) while hacking the hell out of something.

Games that demand group play for any sort of progress I tend to turn my nose up... but then I'm still in FFXI which is exactly that sort of game.

off-topic ...

As for D&D Online (DDO) ... well, if they're faithful to the rules that would be cool. D&D *IS* group-play. If it attracts the D&D community there will be no issues with grouping. No class will truely dominate or be a 'must have' for a party (though everyone wants a cleric around).

Tank? Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, Monk, Ranger, Cleric, Druid
Healer? Paladin, Cleric, Bard, Druid, Ranger
Damage Dealer? Every single class except bard (who can with a little effort).
Enfeebler? Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer
Party Buffer? Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer, Paladin

In table-top D&D it just doesn't *matter* what your party is made of... with a plan six of anything can win -- even if they're six of the same class (though some, like the all-rogue party, face more difficulty than others (such as the unbreakable all-cleric party)).

The 'best' six person parties always have three warrior types, two mage types, and a healing type. However, half the classes can be a warrior type, half can be a mage type, and about a third can pull off healing type (though most can heal in some fashion).

D&D Online I have little hope for. I dare not hope it's a faithful interpretation of the rules .. more precise than NWN and ToEE combined. Because if it is... I'm not going to be able to cancel it.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:26 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Its not. It has twitch combat. I'm pretty sure that isn't a faithful interpretation.
Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nope. It's not... unless the twitch combat uses a round-by-round system in the background. FFXI does that and it works decently.

It's hard to reconcile turn based and 'shiny pretty 3d graphics'. You want the combat to look fluid instead of "I stand there gaping while the monster beats on me. I swing my sword. I resume gaping while the monster beats on me some more."

I never expected it to be a 'pause for each person to declare their actions' affair... because that just doesn't work in a MMO -- someone goes AFK and holds the entire affair up... and if you only have 10 seconds to declare before your turn gets auto-missed it's even worse than having to pay attention and queue up your actions before hand.

The sacrifice of wait-based combat can be forgiven, as it was in NWN, if a) They don't mess around with the classes to try and make them 'balanced' any more than 3.5 has and b) Their underlying rule system is faithful to the tabletop.

Since I sincerely doubt they'll meet one (forget about both) of those conditions my cynicism level remains on its maximum setting.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:40 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Nope. It's not... unless the twitch combat uses a round-by-round system in the background. FFXI does that and it works decently.

It's hard to reconcile turn based and 'shiny pretty 3d graphics'. You want the combat to look fluid instead of "I stand there gaping while the monster beats on me. I swing my sword. I resume gaping while the monster beats on me some more."

I never expected it to be a 'pause for each person to declare their actions' affair... because that just doesn't work in a MMO -- someone goes AFK and holds the entire affair up... and if you only have 10 seconds to declare before your turn gets auto-missed it's even worse than having to pay attention and queue up your actions before hand.

The sacrifice of wait-based combat can be forgiven, as it was in NWN, if a) They don't mess around with the classes to try and make them 'balanced' any more than 3.5 has and b) Their underlying rule system is faithful to the tabletop.

Since I sincerely doubt they'll meet one (forget about both) of those conditions my cynicism level remains on its maximum setting.

Yeah, I agree with your points. I think its wierd that the most popular p&p rpg will be the first twitch mmorpg, even as the devs go on and on about being true to the pen and paper experience. I, even though I think TB could work in an mmorpg (I had fun in Rubie of Eventide, and Tactica Online looks great), agree no mainstream, popular mmorpg will ever have TB. But there is nothing wrong with using non-twitch combat. My personal dexterity should never have an impact on combat in an mmorpg in my opinion. Anyone can handle clicking a button and queuing up an attack, but when you make timing, aiming, and plaer dexterity, you have veared so far from what a D&D table top experience is that you can't really claim that is the feel you are going for.

But, to be fair, I've never played it, so maybe my thoughts and oppinions are completly wrong.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:41 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;0

Wow, I sure did not expect thia many replies. I did not quit WoW 'couse it was boring, I quit 'couse I can't afford it, big difference there. Having said that I do find WoW incredibly boring starting at about lvl 47+. You get there and it just seems like..well...there is nothing waiting for you. I only say that 'couse I don't do PvP AT ALL, I just don't like it.

I recommend WoW to everyone who likes PvP combat though, I really think it excells at that.

Well, now I am desperatelly searching for a game with no monthly fees that is playable online. I found that Neverwinter Nights is playable online If you know of any other games that are playable online and there is no monthly charges then please post them here.

OH GOD when will I be able to play 2D iso Fallout online ;P
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There's a thread in MMORPG general about free MMO, if that's your thing.

I find you get what you pay for with MMO... the free ones I've tried have never impressed me. Still, everyone's tastes are different.

NWN is fun online if you can find a good world or don't mind the stupidity of servers that allow you to use local characters.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:38 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

My advice to people getting bored of games like WOW is to take a small break to play a regular RPG again, instead of another MMORPG. WOW is about as MMORPGs get nowadays, but I still find a few regular RPGs to be just as much fun(probably even more fun), but over shorter periods of time. That's why it's great to take a few weeks off, play through old Gothic or KotOR or whatever again, and then go back to the MMORPG and play(this is the key part) a low level alt that still requires a lot of levelling. Going back to the high-end non-stop instance-item-grinding will make you sick and tired again after a few weeks, but playing a new character after such a break might just give you new energy. It worked for me at least.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:08 pm