Back In Hell!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Back In Hell!

I sort of took a monthlong sabbatical not only from gaming, but from my home pc in general for among other things, horrible lower back pain. I'm not talking a little discomfort or ache, I'm talking total freakin agony. By the end of the day, I was practically delirious with pain, and it ruled out completely getting on a pc when I got home. I have since made different arrangements at work regarding workstation setup, as well as home pc environ adjustments as well along with the home pc ban. It seems to be sufficiently quelled thus far, but I'm still getting the somewhat a dull ache that I always never really noticed as anything more severe than the typical ache one gets from standing too long. I think long hours @ work, combined with some weekend-long Saga of Ryzom marathons were what finally led poor posture to result in really horrible, practically debilitating lower back pain now that I'm pushing the old age of 30.

Anyone else faced the horror of a pc-geek lower back nightmare ruining their gaming fun?

How did you get rid of it and keep it away?

Has anyone tried the newer (i think) ergonomic "kneeling" chairs?

Im thinking about perhaps getting one of those kneeling chairs to use off and on, they look kinda comfy in a way I guess.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:49 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

/off-topic -> Wellcome back to hell, xSamhainx! I'll organize you a little party! /sorry, couldn't resist /

So, I must firstly say, that I have not experienced such problems. The only major problem I got from staying long hours before a PC for over 5 years is that now I see everthing blurry if it a more than a meter away from me.

But as far as your problem goes, I suggest really trying those ergonomic chairs. It may be worth a try.

You can also see (I am not sure if they have these on sale in the US but I have seen them in Bulgaria) this thing called Cosmodisk (I've seen it on most major channels in the Homeshopping ads), that are supposed to help ease problems with the vertebrae. If there is no Comsodisk, there is bound to be sth similar.

Try consulting your GP. Or sth like that, they may have a good suggestion. Also, you may try going to chineese massagist or sth like that (accupuncture), this may help you.

Anyway, try sth like this, I hope it helps.

May your vertebrae be at ease with you !

/alternatively - you could have your vertebrae removed. That is the easiest way to solve your problems /sorry, but once more I just couldn't resist
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:09 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Welcome back is right. I have just recently had a bad spell with back pain. Caused by a slight lifting motion, but as it turned out, posture had played a very big role in getting me in to the problems I had.

You should take Lady A. advise on seeing a doctor and getting to the root of it. I found out I had much more serious problems than I ever would have imagined. After learning a few simple exersices with a physical threaptist, (as well as a lot of othere treatments to get it to stop hurting in the first place) and simply using a back support pillow when at the computer, I have to say my pain is basicly gone now.

Get a diagnosis of what is wrong and then go from there. I should have do that long before I did and it would have saved me lots of episodes of back pain over the past few years. Using all the ergo furniture in the world wouldn't have helped due to the directions my discs and muscles were pulling in.

Hope you feel better soon, I can really say I know how you feel and it is not fun.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:06 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Excruciating back pain is enough to see a doctor. The ladies are correct. It may be something serious. But I suspect you are going through the same problem that I went through. I am also pushing 30, and had a bout with persistent back pain a couple of times over the last 3 or 4 years. Here is my problem and what I suggest.

Get some weights instead of ergonomic furniture.

Your back and midsection fights to keep your body balanced almost all the time. When your back muscles get weak they have to strain to maintain your posture. They also pull your bones in an unbalanced fashion because some of the muscles are stonger than others and have an easier time pulling, even when they are relaxed. This makes it hard for you to maintain the correct posture, which should be natural. As I said earlier, I went through this and had a nagging pain that would show up when I slept and when I sat in one position for a while.

What I suggest is that you do a strength training workout targeted toward your mid-body. Concentrate on your Abs, Back, Shoulder, Chest and Lats (muscles that cover your rib cage). Ignore your limbs for the first couple of weeks. This will strengthen your back and supporting muscles and make it easier for them to keep you balanced. It should also relieve the relative stress on your back and take that pain away. Your resting posture should begin to correct itself automatically. This is what I did and this was my result. Now, I only have back pain if I skip too many weaks of excercise.

But all of this is based on my own personal experience and predicated on the notion that you don't have any discs out of place or any other serious problem. You said that you had extreme pain at one time, so check with a doctor first to verify that you can indeed excercise without making it worse. Still, you said that you eliminated most of the pain by changing your posture so I suspect you can make improvements with simple excercise and diet if you are overweight. If you find that you can help yourself with excercise, I can suggest some excercises that are good. Just ask. In any event, do something about this NOW! If you are going to be a tiger you need to have a good, strong back.
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:12 pm
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Back In Hell!

Anyone else faced the horror of a pc-geek lower back nightmare ruining their gaming fun?

*Ugly Prayer raises hand* I've felt your pain budd.

How did you get rid of it and keep it away?

I lost about 110 pounds in 10 months. Went on a 600 cal-per-day diet and STUCK to it. Folk I work with thought I had some kind of horrible disease. It cured my back pain- but I ended up in the hospital with heart failure and double-pneumonia. Darn near died.
The main reason for the Gandhi diet was blood pressure and cholesterol. The weight loss did wonders for those ailments too. My Doctors were amazed.
Now, my back pain is still in check... but I'm gaining a lot of weight. I gave up smoking (two packs + per day) and I quit drinking for almost two years - However, been drinking like a fish for some time now. And my weight is booming!!!
The one good thing is that my back pain is still null and void.. Come the first of the year; me an Mr. Gandhi will be taking our meals together again.
I wish you the best budd. I truly do.
For the youngsters reading this... see the neat stuff in your future.
Mick Jagger was right: "What a drag it is - getting old."
be well d. lee
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:33 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Thanks for the advice!

I have been doing alot of online research and it seems to conclude alot of what Darrious says as far as letting your lower back almost atrophy in a way, from lack of proper excersize. I did sell my dirt bike about few months ago, and have actually really become quite inactive. I thought it was exactly the opposite tho, and laying around was the only solution to back trauma, when in fact that very well may make it much worse! Im glad I took a moderate route and have included alot of daily stretching, and I bought an excersize bike. I have gained some weight as well, and I have also come to the realization that the time frame of my weight gain sorta coincided with the increasing pain. Im not obese, but I know I'm far from at my ideal weight/muscle mass. Excess tonnage cant help the vertebrae, I know that much.='.'=

I need to get my alignment checked as well, Im just from the school of waiting out pain, it has always worked in the past. If not, I end up going tothe doctor and spending a bunch of cash for them to shrug their shoulders and advise me that if it hurts to do that, "well, dont do that". Thanks again for the advice fellow RPGdotters!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:37 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Ugly Prayer, please don't try to cut that many calories from your diet this time. That can kill you. But I guess you already know that.

Sam, I figured you were not the type to rush to the doctor. I saw you say that you had gotten and excercise bike. I want to point out that I believe that weight lifting will work better in your case. Aerobics burn calories while you are doing them but, it doesn't make build muscle, nor does it make you stronger. Lifting weight builds muscle, which makes you stronger, which is what you need. It also causes you to burn more calories at a resting state.
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:30 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Like some of the other posters, I would advocate for resistance training (weights) once your back heals. I used to have horrible back problems, primarily from being overweight. I love weightlifting, so I shifted some of my focus to lower back strengthening and haven't had any real problems in about three years. Consult someone with knowledge of proper technique and methods if you decide to strengthen your back with weights.

One of the things I've always loved about console games is the ability to play them while sitting on the couch/chair/floor/bed. Any interest in console games? If you have no interest in console games, can you get a converter that allows you to play your PC on a TV so you can sit on the couch/chair/floor/bed?

Hope you feel better soon.
Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:16 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
If not, I end up going tothe doctor and spending a bunch of cash for them to shrug their shoulders and advise me that if it hurts to do that, "well, dont do that".

Fire that doctor and find one that actually knows what they are doing.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:15 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Darrius Cole
Ugly Prayer, please don't try to cut that many calories from your diet this time. That can kill you. But I guess you already know that.

Sam, I figured you were not the type to rush to the doctor. I saw you say that you had gotten and excercise bike. I want to point out that I believe that weight lifting will work better in your case. Aerobics burn calories while you are doing them but, it doesn't make build muscle, nor does it make you stronger. Lifting weight builds muscle, which makes you stronger, which is what you need. It also causes you to burn more calories at a resting state.

Also depends on the kind of lifting he wants. If he wants to increase muscle tone and endurance, he might want to go for lighter weights and more repetitions. For immediate muscle strength and size, heavy weights and fewer reps are better.

But, Sam, the heavy weights may hurt your back more, so check with your doctor. Also, maybe make sure you're eating a good diet full of fruits and veggies. There's a lot of mounting evidence that the antioxidants in the fruits and veggies can help control and prevent inflammation and pain.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:15 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

One thing Ive also found, is that a wallet in theback pocket really affects the lower back. Seriously, since Ive moved my wallet to the front pocket, Ive noticed a change as well when driving in particular. Driving a stick shift, you really do balance and center yourself and your weight on your tailbone region. Having your pelvis wedged even slightly makes a huge difference in how the muscoloskeletal system of the lower back rests.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I feel way better having seen the doctor and being told it's nothing serious. I always sit around and worry about what it could be, instead of just going and getting it evaluated, often because the doctors have been less than impressive to me in the past. Basically, I need low-grade weight training and excersize, and alot of regular stretching. It was other things, like the wallet and other non-painful things Ive done my whole life as well that affect me now that Im an old geezer. Thus is the way of all flesh, our bodies deteriorate as we get older, and we must do what we can to accomodate or slow the process as much as we can.

Thanks again, I feel a whole lot better! Put in about 15 hours of pc time last weekend, and a few hours a night, and no real pain.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:48 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Ah yes, the old wallet in the front pocket trick. Three years ago I went to see a chiropractor for a bad series of back spasms that had me lying in bed for days unable even to breathe deeply. The first thing the chiropractor had me do was move my wallet to my front pocket, especially because I have the habit of overstuffing my wallet like George Costanza from Seinfeld. Anyway, it's second nature now; I carry it in my front pocket without ever thinking about it.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:19 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I guess it was just my luck that I have been carrying my wallet in my front pocket since I was a small child (about 11 years old).

OR

Maybe my exceptional wisdom and intelligence was already beginning to manifest itself at such an early age, and I already knew that a wallet in the back pocket would hurt my back for years to come...

Or it could have been the first one.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:54 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I've always had my wallet in my back pocket, but since there's never very much in it, I've never noticed any back problems!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:38 pm