Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Damn, that was me above
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:28 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I think a large component of the draw to power-levelling is the desire to be able to do anything within the game. For example, EQ: unless you were high level you couldn't go to fight gods or dragons unless you were max, or nearly max level with the best equipment possible. I think a good design should minimize the presence of power-levelling. Unfortunately I do not think it can be eliminated, because there will always be people out there who want to be as strong as possible and try to take on the hardest creatures on their own, or with as few people as possible.

As for dealing with them, I always found it was best just to avoid them in EQ, where there was no good way to punish annoying players. For the most part, if you weren't as materially interested as them, you could find something elsewhere that the power-monger type was not interested in. In UO, were someone to kill-steal and loot-steal I/we would generally either leave or (if possible for us) get our own justice, usually in the form of their head.

-vaticide
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The problem with 'avoiding' as opposed to 'ignoring' the power-gamer is that they tend to hog the 'best' places in the game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:44 pm
raspewtin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

IMO many of the designs of MMORPG completely cater to power gamers. No plot, no story, no personal character development, no role playing, what do you expect these guys to do except power gaming? The only point in these games is levelling. The sad thing, is the casual and roleplayers are actually the minority. It really is a problem at the design level, not at the user level. After all nearly the only thing MMORPGs do is feed on the addictive tendencies of power gamers. Think about how much a weekend user gets punished in these games and eventually can't even group with users who play more frequently. It's rediculous.

[ This Message was edited by: raspewtin on 2002-02-22 09:34 ]
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:32 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

To rephrase, its not so much needing to be the strongest, its more like wanting to have all the toys at the end of the day. Isnt that what its all about? Cant be level 8 and have all the 'uber' toys, so they go hand in hand really. In AC there are flagship quests, so large in scale that when your party defeats the quest you get your name broadcasted across the entire server. Thats a nice lil 5 seconds of fame, not to mention the stuff that comes out of the chest afterwards. Maybe these games do cater to p/l but there's only 1 thing worse than the big fish in the lil pond and thats the guppy in the ocean: nameless, faceless, unknown to all but the other guppies. Roleplaying is VERY hard to do if you are not in a 100% RP environment. First off the d00dz will laugh you right out of town. Second, its very hard to RP in anything but a relaxed, care-free kind of environment:
Ex: If you're in a dungeon, how can you RP this? "I just critted that fuqer for 166pts!" or 'w00t!! found a coord VI ring! sweet!" or "HEAL ME PLZ!!!!" these are all very real, straight off the top of the head comments said day in/day out in MMOGs. To roleplay takes more time to relay the message and in certain situations, just wont work: "Hail goodfellow, I am in need of great healings my leg hath been greiv...(DEAD. Too much typing, bled to death or another monster just spawned)"
"What hold, Braithwynn! Looketh at yon ring with such a lumnious shee...(DEAD. From monster tired of hearing your script)
"We will form our party over the sodded dale and plan for the days adventures, first let me fetcheth my mapeth. Now, at early dawn we break camp and head for..."(3 friends just logged, too much talk now their wives/moms are screaming for them to log and do r/l stuff). Where as a typical day for me looks more like:
P/L A:Yo
Shrap: Yo
P/L A: Whut u up to
Shrap: Bout to hit the MH
P/L A: see u there in 5m
Shrap: ok, later
(30 second convo)
3Hrs of leveling and 4 stuffed loot packs later the real fun begins: The Barter process
I can spend hours just listening to the goods everyone has and is trading away and what they are looking for, etc etc
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:09 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

EverythingXen: I agree, but what I was assuming is that those who aren't power-gamers don't feel it is as necessary to be in the best areas (loot or experience)of the game.

[ This Message was edited by: vaticide on 2002-02-22 16:17 ]
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:16 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't know... when I played Anarchy Online, I wanted to be in the coolest spots. Hell, I ran north for two hours trying to hit the fabled edge of the world.

I was within sight, too... the next zone boundry was a different color than any other in the game. I was closing on my goal... but between me and it stood about a hundred level 150 or 200 mobs.

"Screw it... I'm a tank. I'm going for it!" I announced to my guild. To cheers all around and much screenshotting on my behalf I fearlessly charged the monsters... all of which were bearing down on me.

I was hit for hundreds of damage... thousands... but I was healing like a mofo, concentrating on hitting that barrier and zoning.

I died two steps from zoning.

I was only level 30. If I had been level 50 I might have made it... but all the nice spots for leveling up were camped by the powerlevelers, so I had to content myself with missions. Hours and hours of missions. The powerlevelers interfered with my ability to fully explore the world... whch is what I liked to do in these games.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:58 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2