Non-linearity question.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Non-linearity question.

Is Gothic II non-linear and/or open-ended? I haven't played the game nor the demo , but I have finished Gothic I. I must say that I really enjoyed it although it was completly linear. Yes, you had to make a decision or two and choose among a few things but none of it really mattered , apart from choosing camps, because after a while it all returned to the same line.
I am talking about Morrowind-like non-linearity.
Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Post Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:43 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

As far as I know, it's a bit more non-linear than Gothic I, but nowhere near Morrowind.. in the beginning it's completely open, but later in the game it's linear.. as for open-enden, don't think so..

I would just like to add something: a Morrowind-like-non-linear game is actually boring.. making choices with consequenses is a lot of fun in RPGs, but walking around for hours just to do a lame quest is boring..

Also, the end of Morrowind is as linear and non-open as any other game..
Post Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:49 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Maylander, stop saying "Morrowind is boring". You can say "I'm bored by it" -- fair enough, we all have different tastes, and there are others who share your view -- but plenty of people aren't bored by it... or at least, not until they've been playing it continuously for three months or six months or a year.

And Morrowind doesn't have an end. The "main quest" ends, but that's only a small part of the game.
Post Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:24 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I haven't played Morrowind, but I think that I would not like it.
Jag tycker om när det finns en storyline att följa

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:24 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I played it and I liked it.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:01 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I liked it, I never said I didn't like it.. I even played it A LOT, but everytime you get to the "become the prophecy" quest and have to spend 10 freakin' hours just going from one of the camps to the next camp in the wastelands, I can't understand how you can avoid getting bored.. that's why I say it is boring, because going and going and going and going without doing anything but holding the "forward" button in, is boring in my opinion..

Also, you have to do the main quest, or else you'll never evolve, and besides - the sidequests are small(you may think joining a house and solving their quests are sidequests, but noooo.. wrong you are, it's a part of the main quest as well.. )..
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:40 pm
m00nchile
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i must say that i enjoy a little non-linearty, but, in Gothics case, I'm glad
to to sacrifice that for the great storyline. After all, i play a game to get through it . About Morrowind, haven't played it, can't say
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Interesting....Well, I too , play a game in order to finish it (like you do, mOOnchile) and of course , if the story is nice and you have enough freedom you can overlook the linearity, I was just wondering how much freedom do you have in Gothic II and if your choices have more gravity than they had in the first one.I mean ok, you are the hero I guess and you are going to triumph in the end no matter what , but will at least different choices lead you to slightly different paths eventhough the outcome is the same? This is all I am wondering about. My aim is just to get an idea about it untill its released in english, ( avoiding the spoilers as much as posible ) and not to start a Gothic vs Morrowind debate. I am going to get it anyway as I did with Gothic I and with Morrowind. I trully believe they are both excelent games each one in each own unique way...

Thanks again for the insight....

Last edited by Nikos R. on Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:03 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hi, Nikos R.

quote:
Originally posted by Nikos R.
will at least different choices lead you to slightly different paths eventhough the outcome is the same?

I think so... The general plot (whatthe plot is) will be the same, but the details (howyou solve the quests) will be different, depending on which path you choose.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:01 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

By the way, I know I'm being very stubborn about the Morrowind-subject, but I'm just sooo incredibly annoyd with the "go over the entire island just to do a single quest"-quest.. I simply ruined the fun for me after my first go at that quest(I never do it nowadays.. only play 'till I reach it)..
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:05 am
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Nikos, it's not comparable to Morrowind's mass of quests. However, there are three main paths through the game, depending on which guild you choose. You'll get to see the same key locations and quests no matter which guild you're a member of, however, there's a bunch of guild-specific tasks you'll encounter and you'd have to play it with all guilds to get to see all of them. Also, the quests you need to solve to become a member of one of the guilds differ (f.i. wanna-be-mercenaries have to fight more in the early parts of the game.) As for general quests: most of them can be mastered in various ways. f.i., if you're told to get item X from person Y you often can talk with him, threaten him, simply beat him down or trying to steal it. And, of course, there's quite a bunch of additional quests that don't necessarily have to be solved to finish the game. (As always good for extra items and EXP.)
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:40 am
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Spunior, thanks a lot for your simply excellent reply! Basically that is all I wanted to hear. I knew it couldn't have the mass of Morrowind but from what you are saying it has the freedom of action that I was looking for.Anyway I enjoyed the first one ( although I finished it quite fast ) and I am really looking forward to playing the sequel...Thanks again....

P.S. Thank you Kiwi Boy for clarifying that detail too...
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:52 pm
deathcloud
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

morrowind isnt for everyone i perticularly didnt like it very well. Sure it was fun for a while and i did like it at first but i think that it bores you. Walking to do all the quest the boring fighting controls and not to mention the boring ass people that never talk. The graphics are pretty good but that is pretty much it for me i just thought it was way to boring.
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:52 pm
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

the thing that i loved about gothic is that once you had done it 3 times, you could

a)take control of somone elses body and do stuff in their
b)kill everyone

in gothic2 can u cheat to take control of another persons body?

i dont mind if gothic two is a bit linear, as long as it has some non-linearness, like in gothic
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:51 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yes, you can cheat to take over people just like in Gothic I. The only difference - depending on who (or what) you pick in Gothic II, you even have dialogues if you try to talk to people (the main character dialogues, of course, with his voice).[/i]
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:04 pm