WoW in November?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

WoW in November?

Since this iten is sweeping the net we may as well cover it, although it's worth pointing out the source is a single forum post (which doesn't mean it can't be true). A <a href="http://www.gonegold.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003400" target="_blank">post</a> on the Gone Gold forums claims Vivendi is "mandating" that 'World of Warcraft' be released in November:<blockquote><em>I only have confirmation through one source, but I consider it reliable. Vivendi dropped a bomb on Blizz today, mandating that there will be a code freeze on 9/16, a gold date of 10/16 and a general release in November. Evidently they're not doing so well financially and want Blizzard/WoW to bail them out in the fourth quarter.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

WOOOOOHOOOOO !!!
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:05 am

Just what the MOG scene needs, another unready game rushed to market. *sigh* When will the suits ever learn?
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:20 am

I just got my issue of Computer Games today and they have a two-page article that claims that WoW, while looking fantastic, is far from finished. According to this article, Blizzard is still experimenting with PvP styles and different economic models. Of course, a magazine like this has a lead time of about a month, so a lot could have changed since then.

EB has a United States release date of November 15, 2004 listed for WoW, while Gamestop has it listed for December 7, 2004. Both dates make sense in terms of the holiday season.

I suppose this rush to release the game makes sense given that Blizzard recently sacked the developer of Starcraft: Ghost and delayed that game from this holiday season until next year. Vivendi's bottom line is calling and they probably want to release a revenue generator before the end of the year.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:31 pm

If it is true, it's worth noting that the code freeze would just be for the CD. The game itself would be worked on and patched right up until final release. It could very easily be done in 3 and a half months.

It would still be disturbing that Vivendi would screw with the money making formula that Blizzard has for short term gain. But that's still assuming that this is all true, which is pretty questionable.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:00 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

We'll find all this out in WoW pen Beta, which should be (if this rumor is true) near October/Nov. But im just best guessing. It has to be in late October, early November, if they could pull off a functional release. They said they would have an open beta and i hope im in on it. I wanna play.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:10 am