View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
tomkatem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help with dex magician in NOTR

Hi guys !

I'm new to this forum. Been reading and enjoying it for quite a while, but it's my 1st post here.

I'm a long time fan of the Gothic series, been playing Gothic 1 ever since the English demo came out.

Now i bought G2 gold. Played a pala first, been pretty fun, but then I thought I'd try a dexterity based magician.

Alright, everything's been good so far. I'm level 31, with some nice stats (122 mana, 114 dex, about 550 life). This is where my problems begin.

The high dex allows me to use the sweet "Betty" sword. Been using a master sword ever since I was lvl 10 or so and I switched to Betty recently.
My 1-h skill is at 72% with Morgan's ring, which I chose not to give back. However, the damage I do with it is absolutely PATHETIC.

I mean, my pala was pretty much tearing through the orcs when it had 100 STR
with the blessed ore blade. However, this magician guy has BIG trouble with orcs. Some get close to me and I draw my sword, but the damage I do is laughable. (I need like 40 hits to drop a warrior).

My question is: are the dex based swords in game just there for you to equip something ? I thought they dex based characters were supposed to deal damage like a str based one in melee combat.

One more thing.... I have a 110/110 bow that deals 3-4 times the dmg that my sword does. How come ? My bow shooting skill is pathetic, at like 25% or something.

I really doubt that the formula I once saw here is true. You know, that if you have 100% 1-h skill, you do only crits, where your STR or DEX gets added to the dmg of the sword. From my experiences so far, that's simply not true.

Looking forward to some opinions and thanks a lot for your time.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:35 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The formula for the hits with a sword is as follows:

Standard hit: Something like 5-20 damage ignoring any armor.
Critital hit: STR + WeaponDamage - Enemy armor. Don't forget the armor, which is for a lot of enemies much more in NotR than in G2. The higher your skill (one-, two-handed), the more critical hits you do.

With a bow it's always DEX + WeaponDamage - Enemy armor or a miss. Your skill only increases the range.

The trouble starts with DEX-based swords and Crossbows. From what I've heard the Dex-based swords still use your STRENGTH while calculating the damage from critical hits and Crossbow your dexterity, while you need strength to equip a crossbow.
So to make a Dex-based sword really effective you will still have to train your strength.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:15 pm
tomkatem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok thanks for the tip, Sem. This confirms my suspicions, that the Dex based swords get their dmg from strength. That kinda takes away the usefulness of melee weapons for a magician, since pumping up so many stats (Mana + a secondary attribute, which you will absolutely need and which was DEX in my case) is simply impossible.

And you WILL need a melee weapon as a magician, trust me on that one. Just try killing the orc with spells alone in chapter four. Circle 4 spells are too weak for most orcs, even if you chose to pump nothing but mana.

Ok, they might work for orc warriors and shamen, but no circle 4 spell can do some serious damage against those elites. My strategy was to gather about 5-6 warriors and 4-5 elites, by running past them, and draw them all to the battering ram, where i would take them down one by one with arrows. Acrobatic skills are a must here, cause they can't catch up with you when you jump a lot.

Everything's pretty manageable for magicians, until you reach the dragons quest. The stone and fire dragons are almost impossible for a pure mana-based magician, which kinda sucks. Mana + STR may be a viable solution, but I really wish DEX was good for something else except bows, the 90+ acrobatic skills and the decrease in picklock failure rate.

I have gathered like 60 LP's when clearing the orcs in the VoM, so I might as well put some points in STR and buy all the available potions from merchants. I won't be able to make any elixirs, since I've used all my sorrels to make DEX elixirs. Or I might drop this mage altogether and try something devastating, like a dragon hunter.

Oh well, enough ranting. (I'm at work and that gives me a lot of free time, hehe).
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:15 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well having used herb to do dex potions was a dangerous idea as a mage.Herbs should really kept to be sure you have mana at 180 (3 skeletons) then 240 or 250 at chapter 5. Once you are sure to reach that then use other herbs for somehing else like dex or str. I am surpised that your mana is that low. Have you pray to Innos shrines? Have you found many mana tablets? Bought book/potions rising mana?

There is potentially a bunch of herbs, I haven't check the walkthrough but my best result was 22 king herb including some bought in merchant but let say about 18 before chapter 5/6. So you could try use LP to allow your whisp searh tablets, potions, and more important herbs. Then search with him on every area you explored.

Agaisnt dragons summoning works nicely but it means using mana potions ie summon potion summon... With mana 122 only it will slow down your rate and could make it difficult but try, could work. Mix goblins and skeleton summon they complement well agaisnt dragon.

I agree close combat weapon can mix very well to mage. But as you choosed Dex why not mixing Summon and bow? Use any item powerup (belt, rings) to raise your Dex at max, something like 114+18=132 dex should allow you do significant damages on most things. Mixing with summons could work.

There are more than one scroll of summon demon, don't worry when you will reach circle 5 and learn the rune, the merchant priest in the monastery will have one so you can make the rune. So try one scroll with bow and dex rised as high than possible, could work agaisnt the dragons. Also some people succeed summon 2 demon agaisnt a dragon without they beat each other, you could try that too.

Don't speed potion rise bow shoot rate? I don't remember, if it does, you could try that tool too with other suggestions.

Rising str anyway to improve your dex sword could help but you'll have hard time anyway agaisnt dragons. If you try that make a backup to come bask in case. Your mage will hardly have as good wepon than a mercenary or paladin.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:38 pm