FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wizardry Imports
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Wizardry Imports

Can anyone tell me what do I gain and what do I lose if I import a party from wizardry 7 instead of starting a new game???
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:50 am

Just so happens! I have W-7 running again just to make groups for W-8. If you develop char's in W-7 by rotating through classes to get 100's in all the skills, your party starts W-8 with 20's. You can import spellbooks, probably the biggest advantage, as well as other rather powerful items. If you don't level up until after entering W-8, the monsters will load at L1, you can then level up as you like. I also found that if you set up your equipment, you can do a lot better than what W-8 starts you with. There's a link here someplace, you could probably search under 'import' or the like, to get to a site with import lists and other import info.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:20 am

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Some general ideas as to what's gained and lost. I'm currently running both an imported and a "new" party, but I don't want to overgeneralize as I haven't studied the import factor by repeatedly trying to figure out everything that transfers over and how it does.

Gains:
1) Assuming your characters have progressed to a point where skills have improved, you will have higher starting skills than new characters. For example, if you import a character with a 100 sword skill, he won't be starting at 0.
2) Your characters come in at level 5 - which means you start off with more spells.
3) Some previous equipment will transfer. Which will probably give you better starting equipment. However, not all Wiz7 items are in Wiz8. And there are class changes with items - e.g. a mage in Wiz7 could use a whip, and mine transferred with hers, but she can't use it in Wiz8. Of course, you can sell it off.

Changes (for good or bad):
1) Wiz8 keeps track of party faction ratings, which you can see. Depending on what you did with the T'Rang, Umpani and Vi Domina in Wiz7, you could start off with different relationships with each side. A "new" party will be initially neutral to all three.
2) Since your characters start off with the experience for level 5, you'll probably start off with tougher monsters. There is an autoleveler - look throughout this forum for a lot of discussions on it - the tougher your party is, the tougher your opposition is (somewhat). Now you do control when your characters go up the levels that their experience has earned them, so you could play an imported party at level 1 for a while against wimpy monsters. But other than to see what the puny encounters are, I don't see the point to it.

Losses:
1) There are class changes, which may make you want to rebalance your party. For example, a bard in Wiz7 cast mage spells. Bards in Wiz8 cast no spells like that (but there are more variety and more powerful instruments, so don't write of the bard!). So if your bard doubled as your only mage, you may want to reconsider. (Of course, there are posts here that discuss running parties without mages, so it can be done.)
2) There is a new class - the gadgeteer. Unless you change classes in Wiz8, you can't have a PC as one.
3) In Wiz7, you can make ultra-powerful characters by changing classes. I believe skills only from your final class transfer. Ex: In Wiz7, you converted a mage into a valkyrie. You won't have any mage spells. And because of the autoleveler, class changing to make such ultra-powerful characters doesn't really work in Wiz8 - as the monsters get tougher too!

One example to tie it all together: A faerie bard in Wiz7 worked very well, because Wiz7 bards cast spells and were less dependent on instruments. A Wiz8 bard does not cast spells, and a faerie has stamina penalties which hurt the number of times instruments can be used in combat. So it is not the "best" pairing for Wiz8. But the character is very playable anyway (I know because I'm running one).

Overall, I think it's worth it to import parties because of the higher starting stats and the equipment.

But I wouldn't suggest playing Wiz7 first just for that purpose. Wiz7 was great, but Wiz8 is so much better that I would say just jump on in to Wiz8 first!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:40 am

[quote="Bilbo"]

Gains:
1) Assuming your characters have progressed to a point where skills have improved, you will have higher starting skills than new characters. For example, if you import a character with a 100 sword skill, he won't be starting at 0."
/Yah, to be precise, 20%
/
2) Your characters come in at level 5 - which means you start off with more spells.
./They import at L1. and you can start the game without leveling, which gives you L.1 monster load for LM. The free spells (that you bring) depend on what class you import as.

"I believe skills only from your final class transfer. Ex: In Wiz7, you converted a mage into a valkyrie. You won't have any mage spells. And because of the autoleveler, class changing to make such ultra-powerful characters doesn't really work in Wiz8 - as the monsters get tougher too!"

This is only true with magic. Anyone who developed any skill other than magic will have 20% of the skill points regardless. (a mage can have 20's in locks, PP, critical strike, etc.) Modern weapon comes from the Firearms skill in W-7, it works the same. If you want Scouting, though, you have to import as a Ranger. That's the only non-magic exception to the 20% skill import.
If you import a Valk, she'll have Bless, Heal, and i think Stamina, i haven't played one in a while...but only if she had learned them in W-7.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:44 pm