Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Whatever happened to the pressure plate?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whatever happened to the pressure plate?!

Playing some older, and mostly much more interesting RPGs I noticed how apparent the absence of 'ye olde pressure plate' in the newer breed of RPGs..eg: Dungeon Master, which IMO made best use of them integrating them into some very complicated puzzles.

I miss them!
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:25 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

For example ?
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:12 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Or how about those plates that would spin you in another direction, so you really had no idea where you were headed (or are we talking about the same things) ?

Level 3 in Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord had so many of those spinning tiles that it took me a couple of weeks to map out that level. How I longed for automap features after that !
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:28 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Nukester
Or how about those plates that would spin you in another direction, so you really had no idea where you were headed (or are we talking about the same things) ?

Level 3 in Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord had so many of those spinning tiles that it took me a couple of weeks to map out that level. How I longed for automap features after that !

In Lands of Lore (the first one) there was one of those spinning tile puzzles as well. You had an automap there, but it was no good in that very room because it burned to a cinder the moment you entered. It took me a good two weeks to find out how to leave... mainly because I stopped playing the game altogether out of frustration. Then, one day on a bus ride, a strange thought occured to me... why had the map been destroyed in the first place? Was there something that could be seen on a map but not in 'real life'?
*snaps fingers*
Secret doors.
When I was back home, I started LoL again, concentrated on the walls of the spinning room this time, and lookety - there was my secret door out.

Nowadays I'm rather happy when there's no time consuming puzzle in a game, mainly because I can't afford to play several hours in a row anymore.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:30 am
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah yes, I remember both of those games very well..those spinning puzzles certainly were time consuming, but fun!
As for examples, well how about games like dungeon master, bloodwych, knightmare(amiga), lands of lore, wizardry, eye of the beholder series to name but a few.

I found a game with pressure plates yesterday funnily enough..a mod for NWN, a well made remake of Eye of the beholder.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:05 am
Dawnblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow.they remade eye of the beholder.is it number 1 or 2.Part 2 is still one of the best rpg's ive ever played.A bards tale had sum awesome spinners and pressure plates aswell..the neverending passage's....
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:40 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Arx Fatalis has a few presure plates and even a room that spins you around. Also has a corridor than teleports you back and you have search for a secret door.

I like pressure plate puzzles too....
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:04 am
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Dawnblade
Wow.they remade eye of the beholder.is it number 1 or 2.Part 2 is still one of the best rpg's ive ever played.A bards tale had sum awesome spinners and pressure plates aswell..the neverending passage's....

Yes, it's Eye of the beholder 1..they've done a great job too..puzzles, pressure plates, monsters, henchmen, story all excellent.
There are a couple of versions on NWVault..I'm playing the latest Rick Francis version which promises many happy hours playtime.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:45 am
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
Arx Fatalis has a few presure plates and even a room that spins you around. Also has a corridor than teleports you back and you have search for a secret door.

I like pressure plate puzzles too....

That's right, Arx Fatalis is one of my favourite "newer" RPGs certainly..in fact, I was just thinking about that particular puzzle..I'm hoping for a sequel appears one day!
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:48 am
Dawnblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Yes, it's Eye of the beholder 1..they've done a great job too..puzzles, pressure plates, monsters, henchmen, story all excellent.
There are a couple of versions on NWVault..I'm playing the latest Rick Francis version which promises many happy hours playtime.

Cool.looks like im gonna have to insatlled neverwinter nights again.Thanks for that [/quote]
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:22 am
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Dawnblade
quote:

Cool.looks like im gonna have to insatlled neverwinter nights again.Thanks for that
[/quote]

No problem, hope you have fun!
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:36 am