Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What the Hell!?Temple Ylsides are Hard as Hell to kill!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
ntblood5
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What the Hell!?Temple Ylsides are Hard as Hell to kill!!!!

When I'm going to destroy the meteor with the two rings in my possession I decided to use the front door in the temple and the first Yilside kicks my ass. All enemies up to this point have been fairly easy. What gives? I tried boosting my armor magically. (I have the magic armor "pants" from the rebel camp and a good sword, shield, helmet, and chest armor but not plate.) Does anyone have any advice. The walkthru doesn't really mention how difficult they are or any remedy to overcome them. Help please! Thank you for any advice in advance. -N
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:38 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Same here. I wasted all my healing potions on them in my first game. My only advice personally would possibly be to go and do the lower levels to gain some extra XP and pass a level or two.

People here with high magical scores mention that some of them can dispense them with 2-3 fireballs

For non-magical users, I find that for them a big offence is better then a big defence, so you should consider using a +14 sword (traders on level 5 have one) rather then a +5 to +7 sword and +XX shield.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:54 pm
toddhd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fireball

I wouldn't even consider my magic to be terribly high, and one fireball takes them down. I was amazed too at how quickly I was dying with these guys.

I *strongly* reccomend that you pre-load up 3 fireballs. Then let the guy run at you. When he gets right near you, press the "1" key to launch the spell quickly. He's right there, no need to aim. If he doesn't die right off, then back up a few steps, and repeat until dead.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:07 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

What's your level? Mine's around 30 or 40 and most of the time it doesn't seem to do much damage...
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:03 pm
Vistralan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Red
What's your level? Mine's around 30 or 40 and most of the time it doesn't seem to do much damage...

I'm at 110 casting skill and roast most of the speed freaks in 1 shot (if there are 2 or more I let them get on top of me and cast, droped 3 in 1 shot that way =) ), the mage/fighter is by far the easiest way to play this game thus far, thief/mage is more fun (stealing the ring from the rebels was fun, but too easy), I found a pure fighter was just too hard later in the game (why bother w/ a sword when a Fireball takes down 3+ monsters?). Only downside to the mage is the rune casting system...if you run out of precasted spells in mid-fight hope you invested in your sword skill =)
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:59 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

For those who want to take out Temple Yilsides with a weak character (mine was a measly thief), here is a trick for ya (you will need a bow and a LOT of arrows, or any other ranged weapon):
- enter the Temple via Goblin Priason (you may want to touch the meteor now)
- cross the retractable bridge, there will be your 1st Yilside - attack him.
- escape the Yilside by retreating on the other side of the bridge. This bridge has some kind of geometry flow which does not allow Yilsides to cross it, instead they fall through it down into the blood pit.
- shoot the Yilside from this safe spot.
I let you feagure the rest yourself, but just store some patience and ammo before venturing into this.

Good luck
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:00 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Heh...
"I've invested little in magic" - just 110...

Uhu.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:50 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

so that is the best advice for dealing with an ysilde? use fireball? i don't really have a problem with them unless they cast speed...and then it is all over very quickly. i tried using the negate magic spell but that doesn't do a thing. anyone know why the negate magic doesn't negate a ysilde's speed spell? or, is the negate magic spell used for something else?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:26 pm
ntblood5
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank you -fireballs work very well!

My magic was at about 30 somthing and three fireballs took them out. I've since added more points to my magic casting and plan on putting most of my future points into magic. Someone had said the end-game was too hard without having good magic skill and I don't doubt it. Anyway I'm just finishing the crypt now. Cheers -N
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:21 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

My trick to kill Ylsides was to cast a force field in a narrow corridor and let them run off their speed against it. Only takes like 5-6 seconds before there speed is gone and then you remove the force field and whack em easilly.

Ofc this is hard to get to work in the city (with few narrow passages), but I used the tactics everywhere else where I encountered an Ylside.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:27 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I dunno... they seemed to cast speed again rather quickly in Arx and in their own place... Not in the temple though.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:29 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I tried various things but in the end I just waited until they were pretty close and unloaded two fireballs in their face (magic 45). I usually didn't take too much damage and by the time my mana was back up I'd healed anyway.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:42 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I tried various things but in the end I just waited until they were pretty close and unloaded two fireballs in their face (magic 45). I usually didn't take too much damage and by the time my mana was back up I'd healed anyway.

Exactly what I did in Arx and the castle...
...if you are patient/brave enough let them come right into your face and then whack them with a few fireballs.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:28 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Red
I dunno... they seemed to cast speed again rather quickly in Arx and in their own place... Not in the temple though.

If you go out of sight of them and remove the field they recast speed, but if you stay in sight of them they dont recast it, at least they never did it for me.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:51 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

No they just recast speed regardless for me...
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:53 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next