View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Spell tips for mages!

Here are a few tips for rookie mages:

1. There are 3 categories of attacking spells. (1) magic based or elemental (fire, frost, shock, poison). (2) magicka based ( damage and drain health, calm creature and humanoid, paralysis ). (3) a special case in (absorb health).

2. Absorb health is the only attacking spell that resist Reflect. It is unfortunately not effective against magic resistent opponents.

3. It is fun to try ALL the spells available and I encourage you to do so. But in the end, you should select a few frequently used spells to put on quick keys. These spells are preferably from each of the above categories.

4. Spells can be used safely at a distance(on target) or upclose(touch). Upclose spells are stronger but slow to cast or recharge. You probably should think of using an enchanted weapon such as ebony staff for upclose combat.

5. Don't use ready made spells. The cost of designing your spells is pretty cheap(less than 1000 gold ) , use the option "spell making" .( only applied to attacking spells).

Last edited by kingsorel on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:07 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Spell for a pacific mind!

If you don't like unnecessary killing, you can use the spell "calm humanoid". I even make a spell based on it but stronger and has longer effect to use. I used it to complete the first "four corners" quest without killing the 4 orcs warriors at Malacath statue near Dagon Fel. It's a wonderful spell, sometimes it even turns aggressive opponents into long lasting friends.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:03 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

How much magicka?

For a true mage, the minimum level is around 300; but the more magicka the better. Design your spell which has cast cost around 100. As some examples:

Shock damage 25-55pts for 5sec in 10ft on target.
Fire damage 25-55pts ...
Damage Health 15-40pts ...
Absorb Health 15-50 ...

Although you can design stronger spells, but the stronger the spell, the less chance you have to cast it successfully.

With the above spells, my mage can kill a good opponent with 2-3 shots. My mage has 450 magicka with a large reserve of exclusive-restore-magicka potions.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:11 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Spell strength and Luck

When designing a spell, the two important factors to considered are (1) spell cost (2) spell chance. Spell cost determines how much magicka is needed to cast it. And we want spell chance to stay around 100. Since spell chance is related to Luck, the higher luck is, the better is the quality of the spell( strength).

Luck can be raised higer than 100 by ALCHEMY. Ex:

At alchemy 100, luck 100 and Intelligence 100, firedamage ( 55 pts for 5 secs in 10 ft).

At alchemy 100,luck 1000, Intelligence 1000, firedamage (95 pts for 5 secs in 10ft).

However, spells designed in the second cases can only be casted at the same conditions.

Last edited by kingsorel on Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:32 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Spell tips for mages!

quote:
Originally posted by kingsorel
5. Don't use ready made spells. The cost of designing your spells is pretty cheap(less than 1000 gold ) , use the option "spell making" .
This is not necessarily true. If you make a spell to do exactly what a ready-made spell does, you'll find that it has a higher casting cost even though the effect is the same. The wise caster makes use of as many ready-mades as possible.

In the future, use the edit button. A quadruple post is really excessive.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:42 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi Kingsorel

Thanks for the mage tips.
All your posting have been very helpful and helped me answered a lot of all this little nagging doubts and little questions that been bothering me while playing Morrowind.

My first character Nord didnt work out as well as I hope as I am not aware of the stats building tips. My new second character Orc crusader is much better and now I know the proper way of character building , the character building now and leveling goes much much smoother.

I defintely have to get the "Calm Humanoid" spells. A couple of time I met characters at shrines that attacks me only with their fist. I go away and leave them alone LOL.

Thanks again.
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:55 am