Night of the Raven makes me want to kung fu kick my computer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Jinxedster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Night of the Raven makes me want to kung fu kick my computer

After a very bumpy road on getting the damn thing to install properly, I get a crash right after the game starts here are the details:

The first time I managed to get the thing to start, right after it loaded I caught a short glimpse of the area you start in and some speech started to roll and then I was taken to the desktop with a huge ACCESS VIOLATION screen with a lot of info on it that looked something like this:

AAAAAAAAA000000000000aaaaaaaaasoidhfdfsd

I restarted my pc and this time the game just crashed right after starting and oddly enough, the graphics of the heads of the characters loaded but the rest didn't, and speech started that went into a loop. I've tried to lower my graphics quality settings but nothing happened.

I'm pretty much after a fresh windows xp install

Pentium 3.0 2mb cache 64bit
Geforce 6800 GT 256 ram (using omega drivers based on 61.77 forceware)
Gigabyte 915p motherboard

Raven is patched to 2.6 and I'm using the 1.0 translation mod.

I read somewhere that the access violation crash can be caused by some FAT32 problem, and as it turns out I am starting it from an old partition that uses FAT32. To correct this problem I need to reinstall gothic 2, start the game, quit out and then install raven.

I'm hoping that I won't have to do that, mostly because I cannot install the addon normally, and have to move all the uncompressed files by hand into the correct directiories since the .bat install that's supposed to do that for me says that I'm missing some file, which definetly isn't the case since I moved file by file and everything was there.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:57 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Welcome to the forums Jinxedster,

Yep looks like the hdd access is suspect, if you do re-format, (and it looks like you might have to) I would recommend using the ntfs system, much superior, faster access times and more stable, the dma access has better routines. just a suggestion.

Good luck
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:28 pm
Jinxedster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No need to reformat, I'll just install it on one of my ntfs drives. It's worth a try.

But that means I will have to move 191 files again by hand... Gah.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:50 pm
Jinxedster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bah. I installed gothic to it's deafult path, c:\programfiles...
When try to run the game all I get is a black screen and a "ping" sound that sounds like some windows error. Nothing happens after that. I got this before when I had it in that default path but I figured that I got some file wrong while moving them from the raven install. Seems like this is some type of different error alltogether.

I'm giving up. As much as I wanted to play this addon at first, I no longer feel that it's worth more time and effort.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Not so fast!
What did you say was the reason you donīt put the v1.30 exe in the G2 dir and use the standard installer?
The most common mistake is that G2, TNotR and the mod arenīt put into the exact same directory.
Maybe you need to clean your registry if you install in another directory.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:34 pm
Jinxedster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I didn't use the installer because it quits out after some files or sometimes right after starting telling me to get an original CD.

All those installs have an option to specify the target directory, so I'm sure I got things right. I put the addon by hand in the fashion illustrated here: http://www.gothic-rpg.com/download/install.bat

Maybe it was just not meant to be? I was hoping that those floating heads and speech loop at the start of the game is something someone else had and they found a way to fix it.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:21 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Well, the floating heads are either a driver problem or indicate a corrupted installation. The sound problems are a driver issue.

You can use the script posted at WoG to install TNotR manually from CD into the G2 directory.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=46464&page=2

1. download "gothic2-addon-setup.zip"
2. change "set G2DIR=" near the top to the correct Gothic 2 dir, for example "set G2DIR=D:\Games\Gothic2". No backslash at the end!
3. save
4. run the .bat
5. start the game with the gothic2.exe in \"Gothic2 dir"\system\

Then TNotR will be installed correctly and you can concentrate on the other problems.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:33 pm