MMORPGdot: Dragon Empires Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

MMORPGdot: Dragon Empires Interview

MMORPGdot is proud to present another Q&A with Peter Tyson, Community Liaison Manager for Dragon Empires. This time we take a closer look Combat and Environment!

Next week we will have a Q&A feature about FreeWorld! Stay tuned for more!
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:44 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

WooT!
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:58 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I read through it, and he seemed to sidestep almost all of the questions. I really wanted to know about how combat will work and he totally changed the question and answered the question he made. Another question was about PvP, what will it be mainly, PvP, city seige, or clan wars? And he answered that yes all three will be in there and I have no idea what it's going to be like so I'm going to guess at how it will be...Granted he doesn't know what it will be like, the gamers will choose but to not give a strong answer by saying yes we have plenty of support for Clan wars and city seiges leave me with the impression their going to do a Shadowbane and leave hope players create their own content through PvP. I'm glad to see bounty hunters and outlaws mentioned but the whole interview sounded empty. The whole meat of the game combat and environment, the interview didn't do it justice. One plus was he said the environment is so plush you can lose your pursurers. Thats pretty cool. When I think of a forest I think if thick underbrush, not a clear opening with a few trees.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:00 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

They havent told anyone else much about the combat either. so keep in mind that he doesnt want to reveal alot of stuff about combat because its in testing right now. also he has an NDA to protect for the sake of the company and the game itself. i dont think they want to give out too much information, especially if what he says doesnt make it into the game like he says it would.

about the PvP: Its not open PvP where players are expected to make the content. The reason he answered that all three would be in the game, is because its true, all three will be in there. They are based off from different kinds of interlinked systems. for example, the clan-based warfare will happen at designated times, and isnt all out PvP. City seiges will happen often where the city's clan must protect it against attackers, but its not open PvP like Darkfall or Shadowbane. DE has controlled PvP. most of the control has to do with roleplaying certain roles, so PKers arent going to run rampant in DE.

[/spoiler]
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:37 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Kiff, what do you expect then if a company hires someone for the (almost) sole purpose of hyping its game towards the community and answering questions for the press? He does an excellent job though, that's not the point.

Anyway, good interview and all that. *grin*
j/k
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:22 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
City seiges will happen often where the city's clan must protect it against attackers, but its not open PvP like Darkfall or Shadowbane. DE has controlled PvP. most of the control has to do with roleplaying certain roles, so PKers arent going to run rampant in DE.

I thought it was open PvP. Can't anyone go into a different empire and kill anyone else?

Plus thx for the reminder of the NDA and the community managers not wanting to reveal too much, I had let that small fact escape me.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:35 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Nope, you have to be in an active "role" before you can kill someone else. Like you have to be an outlaw to kill a trader or you have to be a bountyhunter to kill outlaws. its not exactly open PvP, but its just as good i think because its well designed.
Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:44 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well how do you become an Outlaw? Is there an Outlaw training camp, where you kill innocent rabbits until you qualify Outlaw status? Cause it sounds like you can't be an outlaw until you kill someone, but you can't kill someone unless your an outlaw...oh thats a harsh cycle.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:11 pm