View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
lukasz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Darkstar One

Hi,

There is a new game coming up, called Darkstar One. It is published by CDV, and Ascaron, and due in June this year. Authors describe it as 'Freelancer done right'. Might be interesting.

Here are some links:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930194.asp

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/darkstarone/news.html?sid=6146375&mode=previews

Lukasz

PS
RPGDot could start tracking this, eh?
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:54 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It looks interesting at a first glance.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Crossposting from OO:

-----------------

The PC Games had DSO in their sneak peak feature this month. 5 readers played it for a few hours. The verdict:

("=" := as expected; +/- := better/worse)

1. graphics: =
Colorful, not as good as X³, but lower requirements.
2. story: +
A critically acclaimed scifi author plus 50 minutes of video should do it.
3. economy system: +
Of course. The Port Royal team is working on DSO. You get "PR2 light" for 5 goods as a gratis gimmick.
4. controls: -
Joystick support, good flight controls. The rest sucks.
5. universe: =
Big but not much traffic yet.
6. navigation: -
Grass green on dark green with light green mist around it.
Known problem, will be fixed before release.

------------------------

It´s a Freelancer clone. Focus on combat and story. The ship can be upgraded with more than 300 parts.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:12 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

The German demo of DSO was released today. I've only done one mission so far but it's not looking too bad. It reminds me very much of Freelancer with a little bit of Wing Commander and Eve Online thrown in.
It's definitely no space sim but an action space game that can be played with keyboard/mouse or joystick. I used my trusty old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro which worked great without any configuration issues.
The space station is as expected basically a static screen from where you can access the hangar, trade menu, mission terminal etc.
Space flight is very intuitive and the tutorial mission did a great job of explaining stuff.
This could certainly be a very fun game if the story is interesting and if the space sectors are diverse enough (the demo offers two clusters of solar systems).
Graphics are OK. Not awesome or jaw-dropping but overall pretty much good quality. Performance is great (no problems at all with 4x AA and 16x AF turned on at 1280x1024 on an AMD XP3200+, 2048MB RAM, GeForce 7800GS AGP system).

My only gripe so far is the German voice acting. It's pretty low quality IMHO and seems a bit "forced" and "over-acted". Besides, the international flight language is English so it always ends up sounding a bit silly when they translate the typical pilot chatter ("Watch your six! We got incoming!" sounds horrible when translated to German ). I will definitely download the English demo when it comes out to make up my mind about which version to buy but buy I will almost certainly.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 3:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*Adds another game to the long list...*
Post Thu May 11, 2006 1:51 am
DaGirl
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I always get really skeptical when I hear games described by the people making them as "GameX done right" so I almost wrote this one off without a look. I'm glad I gave it a chance because I was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hands on the English beta version, and I'm having a lot more fun with it than I expected to after hearing it described that way. My big complaint so far is that the controls and UI took a lot more getting used to than I expected, but the other aspects of the game have made it worth the extra effort it took me to adapt to them. I think I'll be playing this one for a while.
Post Tue May 16, 2006 1:32 pm