Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Somebody help. I have to continually install game.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Thorick
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Somebody help. I have to continually install game.

I bought gothic II gold edition. It comes with NOTR add on. after a few problems i figured out how to get the game running. Now the game is running fine. But i have a really annoying problem. Everytime I take the disc out of the tray or reload the disc i have to reinstall again. I use the fourth disc to play and it allways starts up the installer. This doesn't effect game but came be annoying because now i have to install all four discs. Can anybody help me get it so when i put the disc in it starts the game and not the installer.

Thanks any help appreciated.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:45 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Thorick, welcome to the forums.

I would recommend a complete uninstall followed by a 'correct' auto-install.
Somehow because of the install problem you originally had, you have managed to alter the default install method and your .exe game start file is in fact pointing to the cd start reference file.
No doubt a guru could edit and correct the problem but it would be easier/quicker in getting the game to run properly each and every time by installing correctly.

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:42 am
George_K
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No, you do NOT have to reinstall. When it starts, merely cancel it, then leave the disc in the drive, unless you absolutely need the drive for something else!
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:48 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Good idea. Welcome to our forum, both of you.

Either cancel the installer and start the game throught he start menu or suppress the auto-notification when a disk is inserted into the drive.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:50 am
George_K
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Either cancel the installer and start the game throught he start menu or suppress the auto-notification when a disk is inserted into the drive.

Even I got tired of the above tactic, so downloaded the nocd archive (four files go into your system directory) from NNNNNNN

Edited. We donīt allow posting links to or infos about piracy related sites on RPGDot.
Gorath
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:46 pm
Pystal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by George_K
quote:

Even I got tired of the above tactic, so downloaded the nocd archive (four files go into your system directory) from NNNNNNN

Edited. We donīt allow posting links to or infos about piracy related sites on RPGDot.
Gorath

I have the same problem. Everytime I place the disk in the drive, it auto runs and instead of playing the game it wants me to install it. I hit cancel and exit set up, but that is very anoying.

Is there another way to disable this from happening every single time. I would just leave the cd in the drive, but my family uses the PC as well, and I don't like them to take my cd out and potentially scratch it etc.

Any suggestions besides the No Cd Patch thing?

thanks,
Pystal
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:32 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Sorry, but I believe all the options have been touched on:

1. Just cancel the installer and start game from icon.

2. Leave CD in the drive so you don't get the installer when you boot your machine.

3. Get the nocd patch.

4. Go into Windows and turn off the autostart for the CD reader. This would mean that people using your machine would need to use the Run option under Start or use the Windows Explorer to go to the CD directory and manually start their CD programs.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Pystal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
Sorry, but I believe all the options have been touched on:

1. Just cancel the installer and start game from icon.

2. Leave CD in the drive so you don't get the installer when you boot your machine.

3. Get the nocd patch.

4. Go into Windows and turn off the autostart for the CD reader. This would mean that people using your machine would need to use the Run option under Start or use the Windows Explorer to go to the CD directory and manually start their CD programs.

Thanks for trying.

I will just deal with it for now. It's a great game and I am happy to be able to play it at all. It is just that I wonder why this only happens to a few of us? There must be a reason for it. I hope G3 doesn't have this problem. That would be very sad.

Anyway, I look forward to the games I get to play eventually. I have Arx Fatalis comming in the mail as we speak. I am looking for Gothic 1 and will eventually grab that as well. I have Gothic 3 to look forward too as well.

I am glad that I stumbled upon this game. I have played most RPGs out there, and I thought that they didn't make the type of game I enjoyed anymore. I know I was wrong now, as I have discovered this type of RPG and I love it.

Have a good one,

Pystal
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:47 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Just disable autostart. Itīs one of the first things I do after reinstalling windows because I find it very annoying. If you want to install something just use a good filemanager like TotalCommander and start it manually.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:43 pm
Pystal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Just disable autostart. Itīs one of the first things I do after reinstalling windows because I find it very annoying. If you want to install something just use a good filemanager like TotalCommander and start it manually.

Thanks,

I may just give that a try as I am going to reinstall windows this weekend.

-Pystal
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:46 pm