Building a factory
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Building a factory

Ok I tried three time in the sim to build a station and it hung up all three times. I installed the patch and I think it has bugged it up. No biggy, I started the real game last night finally, but someone give me just a brief run down on steps to build after you get your transport to take your cargo where you want it and dump it. Is that all I have to do? Does it build itself? This is where the computer hung and kept repeating for me to pick a place. One time I got to tell the guy to dump cargo here and the station built itself. I just want to make sure I didn't miss a step in there. Thanks in advance. I imagine it will be a long time before I will need this, but I want to know. I love this game. It is great grahics and music.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

When you command the transport to "drop my freight here", it should bring up a sector map. There will be a box around the TL- this is the region where you can have your factory positioned. Use the numeric keypad to move the target to the position you want and hit enter. This should fire a cutscene showing your factory being built (you just watch the robots scurry, no action required).

Once your factory is up and running, it will function much like an AI dock, although you'll note a few variations in the menu you're used to seeing. Assign a couple ships (pick your factory as a home base and use Trade Mk1 or Trade Mk2 commands) to supply raw materials or (depending on your master plan) sell finished goods. That's pretty self-explanatory, but ask away if you have questions.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:29 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I was never able to complete that tutorial either. Dte has explained it all quite well. You've read a lot of the early hints already, like stripping the loaned TP, so you should be ready to fire. Once you have completed the first few missions, you'll be wanting your first SPP and with a little judicious trading in Energy and Silicon, you shouldn't have any problem building one. Just make sure you can afford the spare ships to service it before you buy it, plus have enough money to stock it and finance its ongoing costs till it becomes profitable.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:50 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks guys, that was what I thought, but I wanted to check, as the sim only let me do it that first time I tried. @ Dte, don't worry, I am sure I will be here often.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:54 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

How in heck do I hire a ship?

I'd like to buy a factory ... but can't with out a transport ... and there is NOWAY I can afford the transport myself.

So where do I go, and whom do I talk to?
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:15 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Look for a Mamoth (or other races equivalent).

There is one in Argon Prime. Open a comm chanel and speak with its captain, tell him you want to hire the ship.

You can then use the comm channel to tell them where to go etc.

First thing you need to do is tell them to dock at a shipyard. They cant carry your cargo until they are docked.

Once youve done that, your good to go. Just tell them where to go, and when they get there, tell them to drop the cargo.

Just make sure you have a save backup from before you buy the station. I put a station in a BAAAAD sector (Which I didnt know until the station had been running for a while), but luckily I had a backup save just as I was buying the station, so I could easily move it.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:30 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

*bang* *bang* *bang*

The sound of Lintra's head hitting the desk. I talked to just about every one I could think of, scanned more bulletin boards, and spent way too long trying to work that out. But did I think of contacting the ship directly? Oh no. Way to simple and straight forward.

ARRRGGGG!
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:35 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

You're probably way on top of things but just make sure you've taken the additonal startup costs for a factory into account. You'll need some transports for resources/goods and seed money for the factory - 200,000+ is nice although you can get away with much less.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:16 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I saved up a million before I bought my first factory. That let me get the SP, three fully loaded TPs a large chunk of Crystals, and still leave me some money to trade myself. (The TPs had the SP more than covered)
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:35 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Dhruin - I am not really ready to jump into factory buying yet ... I had saved the game and wanted to try it to get a feel for the start up costs ... then reload and continue (unless of course I could pull it off *grin*). I have just shy of 400k, but decided to go back to the main story line for a little.

This MAY have been a mistake as the Kaak (sp?) have now been triggered.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:18 pm
Dhruin

There are l-o-n-g threads at Egosoft about avoiding the Khaak and to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention because it doesn't bother me that much. They are annoying (and scary when you're weak) but they don't really become an issue (IMO) until you have a larger empire.

IIRC, even if you avoid the story altogether, they still spawn when you reach a certain level of money or asset ownership.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:26 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I am glad to hear that, as trying to avoid them by not advancing the story smacks of cheating. I am not sure why, but it *feels* like doing something un-natural for all the wrong reasons.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:30 pm