Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
SPOILER: What are differences between bow and crossbow?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

SPOILER: What are differences between bow and crossbow?

I can tell that (for instance) a heavy crossbow does more damage than a longbow. However, my question then is whether there are any other "subtle" differences that aren't apparent to me? That is, reasons that would matter in game and thus help make a decision which is better to fight with in a given situation.

For example, in some games (ones attempting to simulate real life) the crossbow is considerably slower to fire - thus one gets off more shots with a bow when compared to a crossbow. So in these games the tradeoff is between number of shots and damage per shot. However, I do not see this in NWN - is this effect (or some other) there to justify the two bow types in the game?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:15 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Don't spoilers typically contain information about specific plot details within the game?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:17 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

I agree. You can edit your title, Joey, if you choose. The merits of different items in game don't really 'spoil' the game. If, however, you were asking where to find the God-Killer Crossbow of Everlasting Life...well, that'd be a spoiler.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:21 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, how this thread is a "spoiler" I'll never understand...

But the difference is the critical rating for the weapons.

xbow 20/x3--more damage, less chance of critical
bow 19+20/x2--less damage, more change of critical

Basically it's the same thing as choosing between a greatsword or greataxe. The axe does far more damage per critical, but the sword has a higher chance to critical at less damage.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:22 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Llama

It is a spoiler because of the answer he was hoping you would give. If the info is not obvious, not every one wants to be told.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:54 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

?

lol

?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:12 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Thank you for answering that for me . Yes, if RPGDot expands this forum to include a spoilers forum then we wouldn't have to put spoiler in the title. I hope they do.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:37 pm
MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Crossbow

Why dont you people answere the guys question instead of rag on him about his title.

In the none tampered 3rd edition rules any crossbow is only supposed to get one attack per round while a character using a bow gets all there attacks per round. The reason for not doing this in Neverwinter escapes me becouse crossbow is still a simple weopon able to be used by almost every class so having a bow be able to get off more attacks was a well thought out reolistic rule. Though most of the rule changes in neverwinter have been pretty good and well thought out this particular one I do not agree with.

PS. Yes the critical hit thing really is very insignificant becouse the crossboy gets a times 3 while the bow gets a times 2 but will hit critical twice as often, this tradoff is there in almost all coresponding weopons, greataxe greatsword ect...
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:37 pm
jlbrown

quote:
Originally posted by Llama

But the difference is the critical rating for the weapons.

xbow 20/x3--more damage, less chance of critical
bow 19+20/x2--less damage, more change of critical

Basically it's the same thing as choosing between a greatsword or greataxe. The axe does far more damage per critical, but the sword has a higher chance to critical at less damage.

Actually you have the cricial stats switched around, the xbow has the 19-20/x2, while a bow is x3. Another difference is that xbows aren't affected by the rapid shot feat since you have to spend time to reload between each shot. One final difference is that you can get "Mighty" bows that add strength modifiers to damage (for instance a long bow with Mighty +3 would add the +3 modifier for 16 or higher strength).

I'm not sure how NWN handles strengths below the strength needed to get the modifier (like how would NWN handle a 15 strenght in my above example). In the game, you can't even draw a bow made for someone with a higher strength, but I'm using a Longbow w/ Mighty +3 and am able to shoot still. Maybe I missed where it talks about that in the manual.

As an interesting aside, I seem to have found more magical bolts than arrows. That might have been my personal experience though.

damage specifics: light xbow - d8
heavy xbow - d10
shortbow - d6
longbow - d8
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:39 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Actually you have the cricial stats switched around,

oops
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:58 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The latest patch notes state that quick shot will not work for x-bows. So there is your speed difference.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:36 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

AND FOR ROLEPLAYING! is your elven ranger REALLY gonna use a crossbow or a bow? rapid shot is a nice feat, with only a -2 penalty (MUCH LESS than dual wield) you get to fire 2 shots per round... BANG BANG! great for those guys with lots of hp, like draginz

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:13 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

What is a cross bow?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A bow that is very, very angry that you're considering using a crossbow.

In 3e, bows are just flat out better than crossbows. That's all there is to it. 19-20 x2 is nice... but in pen and paper the trade off is that without the rapid reload feat it takes your move-equiv action to crank a crossbow... where it's a free action to knock a bow. So in the end the guy with the bow gets 5 attacks (6 with rapid shot)... and the guy with the crossbow gets one.

HOWEVER, in pen and paper... bows are martial weapons and crossbows are simple weapons... any peasant can use one (aim and pull trigger). Mages at low levels can find a crossbow a good backup for their rapidly depleted spells, as can clerics and others who just want a 'fire once and forget it' weapon.

Crossbows are also better ambush weapons in 3e, as if you're lying flat on your stomach ranged attackers get a -4 to hit you due to your small profile, where as you get a +4 to hit with a crossbow if you're on your stomach due to extra stability.

Most differences between the two are unimportant in NWN... but in pen and paper they're distinctly different weapons.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:55 pm