Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 Review @EDBIS
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Gothic 2 Review @EDBIS

<a href="http://www.edbis.com/all/reviews/2004/january/gothic2_1.php" target="_blank">EDBIS</a> has posted their review of Gothic 2, being one of the few only lukewarm ones, with a rating of 74% and this introduction that says it all:<blockquote><em>There are some games that look so good but when you actually play the game you are so disappointed. Gothic 2 is one of those type of games. Lets start at he beginning shall we and that is the packaging. Now computer games first impression is the packaging of the game. The box is typical, nothing special, but the manual an the paper sleeves are something lest than desirable. The manual is very thin pacted with information that is purely fluff. The discs reside in cheap paper sleeves. If I am going to pay $40 to $50 for a computer game it needs to have a full cd case to hold these games in order to protect. Paper sleeves are simply worthless.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:06 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

What a disappointing review, Visceris.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:12 am

I’m not sure…this review is almost as same as my own impression of playing the demo version, which gives me almost the same impression concerning the action part of the game.

In fact, my character was killed by an ordinary house wife, who thought that he was ‘stealing’ her belongings, with her ordinary flying-pan in the demo whereas I had no problem with actions in Call of Duty demo at all. So, I judged this game for hardcore action gamers.

Beginning of the story doesn’t seem to be so attractive, either. The bunch of dragons is going to raid the world…which, at least, doesn’t sound original. Dialogues gave me an impression of their being mechanically translated from German.

However, the title was quite popular in the poll here and even won the best RPG of the year. Some recent reviews also praised the game-play as an RPG. The game seems to offer freedom of the game-play both in the mains story and the world exploration. After reading those reviews, I thought I might have let myself deceived by the action part. At least, I can agree with this reviewer as long as the demo version is concerned…but I wonder how far he ‘reviewed’ this game. Paper sleeves and manuals…O.K. they were not with the demo version then, how about the character-development system, story-lines, and the plausibility of NPC interactions?
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:52 am

Dhruin

Oh, I don't have a problem with the score or the comments. I think an "objective" review of G2 would criticise a number of elements although they're not so important when you take the game as a whole. I also agree that G2 is as much (more?) action-adventure than RPG.

The reviewer is infamous on the Interplay boards and I expected more than 5 paragraphs, one of which is more concerned with the box (!!) and vitually no information about the gameplay.

Edit. sp.

Last edited by Dhruin on Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:18 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I think this guy would get to drive a Ferrari and fuss over the style of the floormats.

I'm not sure why CRPG has to be stategic combat and stats twiddling. That stuff is not essental to roleplaying. In fact, I find those thinghs can be a hinderance to immersion.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:48 am
aldreth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

"The box is typical, nothing special, but the manual an the paper sleeves are something lest than desirable. The manual is very thin pacted with information that is purely fluff. The discs reside in cheap paper sleeves."
--Who reviews a game and complains about the packaging? That to me is ludicrously ridiculous. The person who wrote this "review" needs to get "reviewed" themselves.

A "Thin" manual with fluff?
--Is that possible?

"cheap paper sleeves."
--Is there a such thing as an "expensive" paper sleeve?

"I found the controls of the game extremely awkward and because that I died numerous times."
--Grammar check please?! lol! You had problems with the controls? So why didnt you just configure them to your liking?

"First off there is no auto attack command. Each attack or action has to be done continuously. Very Diablo-esque in that regard and not up to the par of other computer role playing games."
--No auto-attack is a great great thing! if there is auto attack what is the point of even playing? I mean then your just sorta watching a movie.

Hades_One you have completely lost all credibility to me, by writing such a non-productive review. Let me go over everything again and we'll see if your "review" makes any sense.

Hades_One says the games quality, graphics, voice acting, and music are all very well done. Yet complains about the games paper sleeves, controls - which are configurable-, no auto-attack and the securerom features. Then gives it a rating of 74%... rofl

Your game came with paper sleeves! I'm gonna tell everyone at the table that dinner sucks because you gave me paper instead of plastic!
Work to become,
not to acquire.
-----------oOO-----
__|__|
|| ||
oO oO
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:58 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Very unbalanced review.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:19 am

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
The reviewer is infamous on the Interplay boards and I expected more than 5 paragraphs, one of which is more concerned with the box (!!) and vitually no information about the gameplay.

Do you mean that guy who ‘reviewed’ IWD2? I can’t remember the name but that I have read a catastrophically unprofessional review once. If it is the same guy, I wonder how he managed to survive as a reviewer. Yes, I think it is the same guy…harder to believe two of them can exist. This explains a lot...paper sleeves…how couldn’t I notice?

Shrug. Oh, well. I have much more belief with people here than this Mr. ‘reviewer,’ who isn’t even worth bashing.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:58 am

Nexus

Ha, Visceris/Rager Kaine strikes again!
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:54 pm

Garrett

Does anyone know, how old the author of the review is or where he does come from?
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:57 pm
Dhruin

According to the EDBIS boards, he was born in 1973 and comes from Iowa. He was banned from the IPLAY boards at one point and now posts under a variety of alts that I can't remember.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:05 pm
Garrett

hmmm...from his writing style I wagered he is either below 10 years of age or non-native english...nevertheless, the review was funny in a way
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:26 pm
ekwhite
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The reviewer seems to have a somewhat narrow view of what is a CRPG. One of the things I most liked about Gothic and Gothic II was the battle system- it is not the point and click attack found in AD&D type games. It actually takes some skill on your part - a skillful player can take down opponents that they never would be able to in Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege. IMHO, Gothic II is vastly superior to those games.

The reviewer seems to spend way too much time on the packaging. The version of Gothic II I bought comes in a nice plastic sleeve; the manual is quite nice and certainly has enough information - it even has a walkthrough to get you into Khorinis. It is even a bit bigger than the manual for Knights of the Old Republic.

I was also offended by the suggestion at the end that the game would be worthwhile if you could pirate it. Why not just suggest going into Best Buy and shoplifting it? EBDIS.com is definitely not where I will be getting my advice for gaming.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:29 pm
Barak

I wrote an e-mail to EDBIS, detailing what I felt was wrong with the review, and how it reflected badly on them as a professional game news and review site. Hopefully, a more appropriate review, one which does not forget the actual game and gamplay in favor of game packaging or perceived "Diablo-esque" elements, will replace it. I do not understand how they could post a review that encourages readers to pirate the game.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:10 am

Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@ Garrett: if it is the same Visceris, then this is a guy who often hangs around RPGcodex

L.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:33 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next