Usergroups
Magic spells and books?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

My chief spell caster can use fire ball quite effectfully, so while walking around the swamp we came upon a hut and inside the guy will sell me a "book of fire" which will give someone the spell of "fire bomb". So I buy it and when I give it to my mage, the book turns red (meaning he can't use it). I've read that the fire bomb is the thing to have, so how come my mage (who's speciality is fire) can't learn from the book?
Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:05 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Fire bomb is an Alchemy spell, not a mage spell. Check your manual!
Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:21 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

opps, right there on page 91. Now kids, see what happens when you don't study and read your books. You grow up and look like a fool asking a question on the internet when the answer is right in front of you.

Thanks dteowner

Post Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:54 am
Vox Clamant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Max ...

Actually, there's an easy way to know even without the manual. Just have the character who you'd like to get the item selected when you right-click on it in the store. In the example you mentioned, you would have seen the note "This character cannot use this spell." You also get messages like "This character already knows this spell."

Post Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:18 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My pleasure. We've all done that sort of thing once or twice... Hope I didn't come across nasty.

Adding to Vox's excellent advice, the truly addicted player can identify most spell books without casting an ID spell. By right clicking on the unknown book, you can find out which classes can cast the spell. From there, you can determine what school the spell is in (Div, Mage, Psi, Alch), and often it will be in more than one. From that, you can often narrow down which spell it is. For instance, Fire Bomb is an Alch-only spell, so if an unknown book can be used by a monk, you know it's not Fire Bomb. Similarly, if you find one useable by Mages and Alchs, it MIGHT be Knock-Knock. With a little thought and comparing what spells you already have with what a book could contain, the wise player will almost never need to ID a book unless you want to practice.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:41 am

Visit http://wiz8.web1000.com/ to download an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcasters current stats, and the spreadsheet will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points you need, or why your character can't learn the spell.

Wolfie
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:13 am