Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Progressive Thinking?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

What should happen with this MVP mishap?
I think the little brat should learn how to lose with dignity.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
I think the poor kid should get the MVP award.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Progressive Thinking?

This is hilarious!! If there is one thing I agree with the general populace, its that lawyers are definitely a scourge upon mankind. Believe it or not, I found 2 people at work that sided with the kid, I cant believe it! They say technically he did better thus should get the award. I say its up to the judges, the hell with technicalities. Maybe the kid that got it was more graceful or somthing ='.'=

Father sues team for not naming son MVP

TORONTO -- A Canadian father is suing the New Brunswick Amateur Hockey Association after his 16-year-old son failed to win the league's most valuable player award.

Michael Croteau is seeking about $200,000 in psychological and punitive damages from the association. He also demands that the MVP trophy be taken from the winner and given to his son, Steven.

Croteau told the Globe and Mail newspaper in a story published Thursday that Steven was the New Brunswick Bantam AAA leading scorer, which made him the most valuable player. He said the youth was so crushed when another player won the award at a banquet in March that he lost his desire to play.

The league's nine coaches or managers select the most valuable player, and voting results are not disclosed.

Steven had a league-leading 45 goals and 42 assists in 27 games, while the boy named most valuable player finished fourth in league scoring with 21 goals and 39 assists.

"How do you justify that?'' Croteau said in the Globe and Mail. "It's quite obvious he's the most valuable forward in the league.''

Brian Whitehead, the New Brunswick Amateur Hockey Association executive director, confirmed the lawsuit was filed but declined to discuss details.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:01 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I don’t blame the kid, I blame the kid’s father (or mother). $200,000 in psychological and punitive damages? I think the poll should instead be, which lawsuit is funnier this one or the fat man vs. the fastfood chains?
And just because you have the most goals and/or total points doesn’t necessarily mean you are the best player, maybe the kid that one was a good defender too.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:52 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

In general, I see absolutely no validity for the lawsuit. With that said (and having been on the losing end before myself), the problem is caused (in so many cases and it appears to be so in this one) because the voting is done in secret and the rationale for the winning child is virtually NEVER given out. Every child and adult SHOULD be told the reason(s) for the winner of the award (assuming there are legitimate reasons). There are many reasons for this. Again assuming there are legitimate reasons for the winner, the only way other children can learn what values are being valued by the voters is to be told the reasons. The association does everybody (children and adults alike) a disservice by keeping the voting rationale secret.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:06 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

The parents are definitely the true idiots, they are committing one of the "big no-no's" of the new millenia in my opinion. They simply are not allowing their child to learn how to handle defeat. Same is happening across the states. Schools are dropping scorekeeping in games, so "everyone wins".Well isnt that special. Test requirements are lowered so everyone passes. Sound just peachy at first, but think about it a second. You end up having children who have never been faced with losing, never been faced with adversity or disappointment. Have never had to learn from their mistakes and improve. Then they grow up, something disappointing happens and they dont know how to handle it and they freak out. It could be chronic depression they go into. It could be extreme, like blowing away someone who cuts them off on the freeway. Or walking into a place and blowing everyone away because they didnt give you the job, or didnt give you a refund for what you brought back to the store. I know those are worst case scenarios, but it could simply just being violent towards anyone that tells you no, or wins. Or they just turn out to be a real jerk or whiner. Kids have to learn how to handle defeat and move on.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:00 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Of course for a father his son is the best in his eyes.. obviously this father is a moron.

think of the poor kid that would get his mvp-trophy taken from him.. what would his psychological bill be after that?

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:16 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Well, I think that on paper the kid was far better qualified to be MVP than the kid who received the award. I also think that 1) he's a kid; 2) the MVP does not mean you make more money; 3) his dad is an ***.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:54 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by ButtOfMalmsey
Well, I think that on paper the kid was far better qualified to be MVP than the kid who received the award.

Not necessarily - that is what I meant in an earlier post about the voting being secret - we don't know the criteria. For instance, they may have been looking to reward a more team player rather than a hotshot soloist.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:57 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

wow, noone cut the kid a break, lol. Good sign ='.'=
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:23 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
quote:
Originally posted by ButtOfMalmsey
Well, I think that on paper the kid was far better qualified to be MVP than the kid who received the award.

Not necessarily - that is what I meant in an earlier post about the voting being secret - we don't know the criteria. For instance, they may have been looking to reward a more team player rather than a hotshot soloist.

Your assumption would be correct, only this kid had not only scored more goals than the guy who won, he also had more assists. Points in hockey is the sum of goals scored and assists.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:27 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Well.. im no sports freak and not a big fan of hockey either.. heck i dont even live in the states.. but anyway.
i thought in the minors it also counts how you are as a person.. so the kid who got the price maybe helped his team-members and was nice to everyone, and beside that a good player.. this kid who wants the price maybe was a selfish kid (sure sounds like it), treated some of his team-members bad and just wanted to score himself all the time..
guess what i want to say is, its not all about statistics.

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:07 am